Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
20 posts per page (current)
0.00%
50 posts per page
100.00%
Voters: 2457006. You may not vote on this poll

can we change the post/page count back to 50?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 05:01 AM
Default RE: can we change the post/page count back to 50?

haha theres only 220 hits... whats with the counter?

Old 01-16-2007, 05:17 AM
Site Moderator

???????????...............[sm=lol.gif]

Old 02-05-2007, 05:05 PM
2nd Gear

What happened to this initiative? Did anyone ever talk to the Amandistratorabout this? This is more and more irritating every time I come here.

And another thing I just noticed, if I look at a few threads on the first page thenthe second page won't show me the new post icon that I can click on to see posts made since my last visit, even when I recognize topics that have new replies. Like today, the first page is full of new posts, and I click on a few, then when I went to the second page, it's not showing any new posts, even thogh I can see at least 10 threads with posts that I haven't read, so I just have to click on the last post icon and sift through to find the last one that I read and start from there.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Zombie Defense Force

i dont get whats the point to having only 20 per page

Old 02-05-2007, 08:17 PM
1st Gear

I'm thinking it might be a bandwidth/cost issue? Ie; to save operational costs, the beancounters reccomended they limit the page length to reduce bandwidth use and theassociated cost.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:53 PM
2nd Gear

But I would think the bandwidth increase due to a higher page length would be microscopic. A few extra lines of text should be a few kilobytes at most, how much extra bandwidth could that really be taking. Hell if it's a cost issue, I'll gladly contribute if it means we can have the forum set-up like it used to be.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:16 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: SilverSeven

But I would think the bandwidth increase due to a higher page length would be microscopic. A few extra lines of text should be a few kilobytes at most, how much extra bandwidth could that really be taking. Hell if it's a cost issue, I'll gladly contribute if it means we can have the forum set-up like it used to be.
Dunno, I'm not an expert onthis subject,but I have a friend that runs another car forum,and bandwidth cost/usage is the #1 driving factor. It's like horsepower, everybody wants more, but you will pay for it. I'm thinking that the previous setup lengthI saw here was a little unusual, (but great!) The individual page content,avatars, signuatures, etc. It had to add up, =$ ?

Old 02-05-2007, 10:40 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: NightFlight

The individual page content,avatars, signuatures, etc. It had to add up, =$ ?
Right, but bandwidth useageis increased with the number of different avatars and sigs and icons, not by how many times each of them is displayed.When an image is displayed once, it can be displayed numerous times thereafter without increasing bandwidth useage, as each different place where that pic is shown is just repeating the first, it's not loading again. And really if you think about it, bandwidth useage would probably go up with a lower page count, because to see the same amount of material, the pages will have to be loaded more often, which will require the reloading of the same images over and over.

And page counts don't seem to be a problem for most forums, since most other forums that I go to allow you to select the page count that you want, both how many topics will be displayed in one page and how many posts will be displayed per page in the topic, and you cna usually select anywhere between 10 and 40-50 posts and threads per page, or select the forum default. If page count had a huge effect on bandwidth, I wouldn't expect them to allow you to choose what you wanted like that.

If the admin has a good reason for limiting it, that's fine, I'm not going to argue, but as it is, it just seems to have been ignored by the powers that be despite the large number of complaints about the new set-up. Honesly, this new layout is decreasing my enjoyment of the site, which I don't mind sacrificing if it has a purpose, but if it's just because someone changed it and doesn't feellike changing it back, that kind blows.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:58 PM
3rd Gear

Would be nice if the admins could chime in on the subject or anything else that goes on around here... A lot of changes lately and nothing said. I can't stand the new set up but can't leave all my friends for it!

Old 02-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Sorry if you guys think I was ignoring you or anything like that.. I had asked Amanda about it while back when this first changed. She said it was going to stay this way for reasons i cant remember, and she didnt elaborate 100% something about bandwidth. If you like feel free to PM or email her, and ask her to change it back. Maybe if enough people do it she will have it changed back. I agree with you all.. having this change does suck. I wish it would go back to the way it was.. its very annoying having to go back multiple pages for a thread that was last posted in yesterday..

Cary what other changes have you noticed? Im sure there are a few that came with updating the forum software that happened a few weeks back.. are there any other changes you are referring to? Honestly i think letting her know what changes you dont like, and what changes you do like, might help her make this forum better for us all

Quick Reply: can we change the post/page count back to 50?