Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Buying a lease vehicle...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 12:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Buying a lease vehicle...

Would ya'll ever consider buying a leased vehicle? I was just thinking that people who lease a car probably arent as careful with it as if they had owned it. What are your thoughts?

Old 04-25-2005, 02:05 PM
rs
2nd Gear
Default RE: Buying a lease vehicle...

if the car was leased, most likely was leased through audi. if its not at a audi dealer, prolly means audi couldnt sell the car, and sent it to the auction and a smaller dealer bought it. leased cars usually come pre certified by audi, and are usually fully maintained by audi, or ur factory warrenty would be voided...

Old 04-25-2005, 02:53 PM
4th Gear

my dad leased a mercedes, and we babied the thing. Oil changed by the dealer, maintence always updated. Garged all the time, never really beaten on THAT much. I think i would be a good idea to buy a car off the lease bc its always updated and stuff bc of the warranty

Old 04-25-2005, 03:08 PM
Senior Administrator

Off lease cars do tend to be better maintained, b/c of the warranty thing. All the same, I'd favor one from a dealer that sells the make/model in question over one from Bob's (AB)Used Car's... Odds are it'll be the dealer that leased it out, in the first place, and so, more likely to have full maintainance records on the beastie...

Old 04-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Senior Administrator

ALso, other reason they're better, mechanically, is because most leases limit the amount of mileage you can put on a vehicle. Going over means substantial mileage penalties (read:$$$$) and, in extreme cases, that the leasee just BOUGHT themselves a car.

Old 04-25-2005, 04:02 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

Off lease cars do tend to be better maintained, b/c of the warranty thing. All the same, I'd favor one from a dealer that sells the make/model in question over one from Bob's (AB)Used Car's... Odds are it'll be the dealer that leased it out, in the first place, and so, more likely to have full maintainance records on the beastie...
Well would the dealer records really be that helpful? With my A4 I always keep the maintence log up to date, then again it is my wives car (not a lease), its in her name, and I am an **** SOB. But I would think that you could easily inspect the maintence log before buying the car. The thing to be mindful of, if you buy from Joe Shmo dealer and you have issues later on, you cannot go back to Joe and yell at him cause he's packed his bags and moved to Mexico.

I would suggest though, that before you take the keys, get a nice looooong warrantee on as much of the car as possible. Ideally, if it breaks the dealer pays, realistically, when it breaks, post the forum and hope there is someone in town with a copy of Chilton's. [:'(]

Old 04-26-2005, 10:06 AM
1st Gear

Well that sounds good. I guess its just that i know of a person who leased a car and used to jump it and run over small trees in it. I was just afraid of buying a car that had been abused. I'll bet that most people do take care of them though.

Another question: Private party is usually cheaper but what if you find a car lot that offers one in that same cheap range. Should this raise any suspicions? Is it better to buy from a car lot than private party or about the same? I know a dealer would be ideal but they are normally way to expensive. Thanks for the replies!!!

--Sam

Old 04-26-2005, 12:50 PM
1st Gear

I would think you get what you pay for. Do you want a bigger up front cost and lower long term costs or a lower up front cost and bigger long term costs. There is only one person who can answer that question.

Michael

Old 04-26-2005, 04:37 PM
4th Gear

My rents lease both their vehicles. They baby the hell outta the cars... 10x more careful with them than they would be if they owned them. Reason being... any damage done.. I mean ANY damage is replaced by the dealership at your cost... at dealership prices.

Old 04-26-2005, 09:45 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: ssbogger

Another question: Private party is usually cheaper but what if you find a car lot that offers one in that same cheap range. Should this raise any suspicions? Is it better to buy from a car lot than private party or about the same? I know a dealer would be ideal but they are normally way to expensive. Thanks for the replies!!!

--Sam
Private party sale doesn't necessarily mean it a worse vehicle. Dealers have overhead expenses that Jim-Bob doesn't. That being said, part of their overhead includes "prep" work on vehicles they take in trade that Jim-Bob wouldn't be able to match. Wash and a wax and a new set of Sears tires will "boost" the perceived value of a vehicle, as opposed to actually putting it up on a rack and inspecting the mechanicals. Which I recommend you have a good licensed mechanic do if you're considering purchasing from a private party. In either case Caveat-Emptor... Let the buyer bewaer. You can end up purchasing a crap-mobile from either of them, if you're not careful. People don't generally get rid of their cars because they're CHERRIES, ya kno...