Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Bought an XBOX360

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 08:58 AM
Default RE: Bought an XBOX360

UPDATE!

It was a scam... but I have no idea how it would have worked. As you read, the guy couldnt even speak english. Some things that were fishy: craigslist is mostly for local stuff, he was in New Jersey (apparently), his email address (who the hell would email him with a name like billywadeonlinestore018c@freedom.usa.com), the fact he wants to pay only through BID PAY and cant transfer the money directly to my checking account, which BID PAY offers.

I asked one of my buds for advice and he had a similar experience. Same type of thing... but he went through with it. The guy sent him a phony *** bid pay style transaction notice that the money order was being sent. After that, nothing happened. He never sent the item and he never received anything. What an AMAZING SCAM!!

There are seriously some dumb ******* out there! Anywho, I just listed the thing on EBAY. We will see where it goes from there.

My friend is just excited and positive about the whole situation, much more than me. $6k is a bit much but, who knows how crazy it will get when Christmas strikes.

Old 12-04-2005, 03:55 PM
2nd Gear

Hmm, good luck

Old 12-25-2005, 09:15 AM

The exciting conclusion:

Long before Christmas, I sold the first 360 for about $1,300. Amazingly enough, I bought a second one and am in the process of trading it for an Apple iBook... hopefully. I could use a laptop of another operating system, and Apples are damn good with graphic related programs. The guy is a bit iffy on the whole situation, I dont blame him. If it falls through, I have myself a 360. Its not expected but its no problem.

What can I say, I was wrong about my speculation.

Due to Microsofts strategy, they made people crave the system all month long by limiting supplies and spreading rumors that there wasnt going to be enough. A large shippment arrived at participating retailers and the thirst was quenched. Prices fell dramatically a week after I sold the first one... so I bought the second one at $430 with an extra controller (not bad). I thought for sure the prices would shoot up a bit around christmas. I missed a week when I went to Las Vegas.. I come back and prices are still really low. I want to say Microsoft flooded ebay with reasonably prices 360s. Why, you ask? There were about 2 or 3 sellers, all having no history, selling 360s at less than store prices; all using the same description and pictures, and I think they were all located in the same area. I think that and the shippment to stores is what drove down the prices. Even the stragglers got their last minute fix with little gauging. Now, it was the offers from those who would have to scrounge up what they could find to trade... much like the Ibook. Why? Because Microsoft makes you want to buy it. Even though consumerism is somewhat new, those in marketing know all the tricks of the trade to make that want so insatible, you are willing to do whatever it takes to get one.

Merry Christmas to all of you!!

Old 12-25-2005, 09:53 PM
2nd Gear

huh.. so thats how it turned out, i was wondering if your little plan was gonna work out or not

personally i'm just gonna wait a few weeks before i pick up my 360

Old 12-26-2005, 06:21 PM

Im selling my XBOX but Im going to post it as a new thread.