Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Bought an XBOX360

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 11:16 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Bought an XBOX360

Yeah, but he was saying it was like a microsoft conspiracy... like they purposely limit supply... so prices will go up in the "used" market? WTF? Seriously... and also, have you ever seen a console come out, sell out, and then a new shipment comes in at a HIGHER price? Oh yes, look at all the demand (because it was a huge shock... eh?) so lets jack the prices! Nope!

Trust me, microsoft is making these things as fast as they damned well can.

And the plan itself is sound... everybody knew they would sell out... but to buy it off ebay, and pay way above MSRP... umm, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I mean, nobody was willing to higher than your bid, apparently... doesn't that tell you something?

I dunno, the guy who sold it to you had the right idea.

Old 11-24-2005, 11:20 PM
4th Gear

actually.. .if i had 700 i'd do that too. for one... good luck getting a 360 at the MSRP right now... uber backorder... and way too cold to wait outside. if he sells NOW (before christmas...) he'll at least break even... make a couple hundred... or manage to sell at the 3K level a lot of people are buying at. but that's NOW. keep in mind... PS3 is coming out soon (right after christmas i believe?) so that's gonna take a huge chunk outta the 360...

this 3K deal isnt going to last long... at all. i'd be surprised if it lasts till christmas. very surprised.

oh, and yeah, you're right shokington. lol, no way microsoft would ever cut their supply... for higher prices. their prices are competitive with the PS3... and you wont see that price go up... regardless of shortage.

Old 11-25-2005, 01:06 AM

Well its the premium system (which means with just comes with a HD and wireless controller) with 2 games. I think I did ok when what I got. when you take in that the bundle with 3 games from Eb is around that same price. Need I remind any of you of the PS2 epidemic. It was crazy for christmas.... they were selling for more than a grand. With the way things are, there is no way in hell you are getting an XBOX360 from the stores unless you blow the manager and let him **** on your chest. I mean, you look at websites and they are taking orders for next year. History is repeating itself... as it always does!

And what your saying Check.... the prices have already gone up. Last night they topped out at $3k and leveled back down to normal numbers. Because it just came out, excitement was high which led to that spike... now that its level, its only going to spike again around christmas time because its the rush to get one. Even if they have enough, theres always going to be those who wait till the last minute. As it is, I stand to lose nothing. I will still be making money either way...

We will see though, Ill be watching EBAY like the stock market. Ill let you know how it goes.

Also, Halo 3 is going to be released along side the PS3. We will see how that goes.

Old 11-25-2005, 01:48 AM

ORIGINAL: CheckMyVitals

lol. definatly makes sense shokington. and it's definatly why the prices are so high... kinda thought that one was obvious . I'd move that 360 NOW, like shokington said... you paid way above MSRP already... so while you may still be able to mak profit now... the longer you wait, the less demand there's going to be as we move to equalibrium... which is not going to be for quite some time... but the fanatics willing to pay way way over MSRP for their prescious console () are in low quantities... and you're slowly running out of these 'tards to sell to with each ebay auction taht ends.

edit: great idea btw. if i had the liquid capital... i'd have definatly done it. just sell it NOW
You sound like a true economist talking bout equilbriums and everything.... props 2 u lol[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 11-25-2005, 02:34 AM
5th Gear

I checked ebay prices today, and there were lots selling for around 7-800 CDN. PLENTY Of buy it now's for 1500~ with no bids (starting bid less than buy it now price).

I also saw one guy selling 20 of them... he had receipts from futureshop, and toys 'r us... he just camped out I guess, and snagged 20 of them. fat_bastrd or something was his ebay name. Something along those lines.

My point is... what you're doing might make you money... but there are lots of people doing it... and the true fanatics, the ones who would pay huge money for it... already have theirs. I dunno, I am not saying it's terrible... I mean, it looks as though you could break even... but hell, as soon as they are no longer sold out... you will only be able to sell for LESS than MSRP.

Old 11-25-2005, 06:08 AM
1st Gear

anyone dumb enough to pay over the odds needs there head examining. Me I will wait till next year when there are more games and the price is reasonable!!! However there are still people out there who pay over the odds so good luck with your idea mate!!!

Old 11-27-2005, 04:18 PM
3rd Gear

Evil, I think you are onto something. Early adopters will always pay what is necessary to get the latest technology. It all depends on their location and availability within their market. Hence if there are none they will turn to the internet and be forced to pay a premium, or suffer and wait (not a common trait of an early adopter).

But like the other guys said, it will all depend on MS supply. I know here in Chicago, they are scheduled out until January/February 06. I certainly forsee the opportunity to make a gain on your investment, but when and how much will all depend on the market. It will be fun to see though. Let us know how much you end up unloading it for. Good luck.

ps: Your sig still makes me cringe. Not moshgirl but that fool giving STi owners a bad rap[&o]

pss: Call of Duty 2 is amazing on 360!

Old 11-27-2005, 04:39 PM
1st Gear

Good luck. I have heard that Microsoft is expecting to send out a shipment either next week or the week after. Either way there will be more systems available before X-mas. You should try and turn that system around while demand is still high and before there are more systems on the market. The buyers you are really looking for are the wealthy parents who promised their kids the X-box for X-mas, as they, ofcourse dont want to disappoint their kids, but they also dont have the time to go, sit and wait outside of Best Buy.

As for the realease of PS3, that is not scheduled until summer of next year.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:26 PM
Zombie Defense Force

haha i got my xbox 360 for 400

Old 11-27-2005, 11:43 PM

All I need to do is fight the urge to open it up.

I know there will be people that wait till the last minute. I know I will make money but, the question is; how much? Maybe my theory of $4k is too much but who knows. I may get some more games so I can make the package more desirable. I got some buds at EA that can hopefully kick down some games (TW2k6, NFS:MW).

I will change my sig... Ive just been really busy as usual.

Quick Reply: Bought an XBOX360