Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Bored at Work; Ideas for the Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 05:11 PM
5th Gear
Default Bored at Work; Ideas for the Car

I opened at my friend's bakery yesterday and had some spare time, so I made lists of things I want to do to or need to be done to the car. Let me know what you think, and feel free to make suggestions. Some of them are a little strange, but keep in mind I was pretty bored.

Summer Mode / Anytime

[ul][*]Clear corners[*]Lightly smoked HLs, tails, and side markers[*]Yellow fogs (both the housing and the bulbs)[*]A few more minor audio mods[*]Put in more of the 50 square feet of eBay FatMat I bought last summer[*]Another set of rings for the grille, painted grey to match the Gunmetal look of the wheels[*]Redo the interior lights with LEDs (likely buying some extras from another AFer)[*]10-12.5mm H&R spacers for the rear[*]Personalized IL plates, and a Euro plate to match[*]Rear fog / brake light mod
[/ul]
Winter-Specific Mods

[ul][*]Paint the stock wheels (open to suggestions on color)[*]Another set of rings and trim for the S4 grille, powdercoated white or grey[*]Another set of interior trim, powdercoated white or grey[*]Another set of license plate frames, painted white or grey
[/ul]
Maintenance

[ul][*]Alignment (scheduled for Monday)[*]Timing belt kit[*]Full detail, and do something about the rock chip situation[*]Put away some dough for possible control arm failure
[/ul]

Old 03-22-2008, 05:17 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Bored at Work; Ideas for the Car

noice dude, when are the lowers getting painted?

Old 03-22-2008, 05:21 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: AUDIjp98

I would normally say NEVER!!, but you just gave me another idea. [8D]

↓ Mini-list ↓

Winter-Specific

[ul][*]Un-painted lowers (including one with a crack in it from a previous owner)
[/ul]
Summer Mode

[ul][*]Another set of lowers, painted to match the car
[/ul]

Old 03-22-2008, 05:23 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: kolbs_91

ORIGINAL: AUDIjp98

I would normally say NEVER!!, but you just gave me another idea. [8D]

↓ Mini-list ↓

Winter-Specific

[ul][*]Un-painted lowers (including one with a crack in it from a previous owner)
[/ul]
Summer Mode

[ul][*]Another set of lowers, painted to match the car
[/ul]

im awsome like that[8D]

Old 03-22-2008, 05:28 PM
4th Gear

I'd go with a big cancel on painting the Audi rings - those should always be silver. Period. End of story. I'm also not a huge fan of yellow fogs - not my taste. It seemssilly to go to the bother of doing the clear corner mod and then turn around and re-introduce yellow lights elsewhere.

Everything else sounds pretty good; might be kinda tricky swapping out your interior trim every winter, but I like the idea of having a spare set of un-painted lower valences.

You should add window tint to your list!

Old 03-22-2008, 05:37 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: MrFlippant

I'd go with a big cancel on painting the Audi rings - those should always be silver. Period. End of story. I'm also not a huge fan of yellow fogs - not my taste. It seemssilly to go to the bother of doing the clear corner mod and then turn around and re-introduce yellow lights elsewhere.

Everything else sounds pretty good; might be kinda tricky swapping out your interior trim every winter, but I like the idea of having a spare set of un-painted lower valences.

You should add window tint to your list!
I've seen some painted rings that I thought looked good, but to each his own.

Yellow fogs and orange headlight corner-pieces feel like totally different things to me, and I like the way yellow fogs look on Melange, but who knows...

I wanted to do tint months ago, but I'm almost positive I'd get pulled over for them within two weeks of having them. [:@]

Old 03-22-2008, 05:42 PM
2nd Gear

Exactly!

Old 03-22-2008, 05:55 PM
4th Gear

Yellow fogs and orange headlight corner-pieces feel like totally different things to me, and I like the way yellow fogs look on Melange, but who knows...

I wanted to do tint months ago, but I'm almost positive I'd get pulled over for them within two weeks of having them. [:@]

Let me know what you think, and feel free to make suggestions.
Just following directions!

It's your car, dude - do what you like. It's looking good so far, so I'm sure you're not going to rice it out or something like that.

What is the tint law in IL?

Old 03-22-2008, 06:03 PM
5th Gear

Let me know what you think, and feel free to make suggestions.
Just following directions!

It's your car, dude - do what you like. It's looking good so far, so I'm sure you're not going to rice it out or something like that.

What is the tint law in IL?
I wasn't implying that I was unhappy that you left your opinion, I was just giving a little more of mine.

In Illinois you can't have the front windows tinted at all, and I go to school with a kid that got pulled over the first time he took his car out after buying it (windows were already tinted), so I'm not going to risk it. And it pisses me off because it's not like I'm going to get Limo tint, or anything like that, it would just be light and clean-looking - but NOOO, I can't DO any light clean-looking tint because it would **** off the locals!![:@]

Old 03-22-2008, 06:18 PM
4th Gear

That's a bummer. In Iowa, there are no regulations of any kind regarding the rear windows - so basically you can go as dark as you want with them. But the front sides cannot be any darker than 70% light transfer, and you can only tint the top 6" of the windshield. You can get an exemption for the fronts, though; if you fill out the proper form and keep it and a doctor's note in the car stating that you require darker tint for medical purposes (sensitive eyes), then you can go as dark as 35% light transfer.

Quick Reply: Bored at Work; Ideas for the Car