Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
Stay In School
81.25%
Pack Up and Go
18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Big Decision

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 04:19 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Big Decision

ORIGINAL: PandaXpress

school is very important but i know so many people with degrees that go nowhere
It's the people that are going no where. There are other people with the same degree that are making cash.

I have undergrad degrees in History and International Studies. Can I make any money with my detailed knowledge of the Opium Wars or the actions of the Gang of Four? Hell no. But while I was learning these things, what I was also learning was how to take in, digest and analyze information. I would then have to write my own version of this information in papers and tests. The number of people in this world that can't do that in any capacity at any job is HUGE.

Most people are waiting to be told exactly what to do at work and then they need to be hand held while doing it. If you want your own business, then you need to learn these skills. You're right that it is not about learning some useless factoid so you know the correct answer to question 26 on a mulitple choice test. It is about learning how to focus, think on as high a level as you can, and selecting and processing the correct information. Think how important that skill would be when trying to borrow money for a business. There is a lot to put together to make that happen.

You may even decide to go for an advanced degree later. You can work while you do that one, but get this first one finished. My 2 cents anyway.

Old 03-01-2006, 06:26 PM
2nd Gear

exactly what pturbo said, stay in school

Old 03-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja

i been workin most my life since a young age and i know how the world works, school is very important but i know so many people with degrees that go nowhere,my dad and my uncles started their own business and they are very well off and they came here with nuthing, i just dont like the fact that i would have to unroot and move so far away

Sometimes you have to go to where the opportunities are, and be willing to take those chances & make those sacrifices right?
the same opportunity couldve came up whther you had a degree or not, So I think the experience would be a good thing for you. You can always take that experience you earn back home with you and use the knowledge here...

Old 03-01-2006, 07:47 PM
3rd Gear

i am 21 i have some time left
I am 21 as well and in school. I say just stay in school man. I am in school right now while I work full-time, its tough but I manage. Also if you are eager to open up a business do what I am doing(and I can suggest this to you becuase we live in totally different regions of the country), try opening up a smaller 24 hour fitness center because those are very low maintanence; keep it clean, collect monthly dues, cable, elec, etc. Fairly simple to run little business'. I am working on a business plan right now, I'm pretty pumped about it.

Old 03-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: badassb5

i am 21 i have some time left
I am 21 as well and in school. I say just stay in school man. I am in school right now while I work full-time, its tough but I manage. Also if you are eager to open up a business do what I am doing(and I can suggest this to you becuase we live in totally different regions of the country), try opening up a smaller 24 hour fitness center because those are very low maintanence; keep it clean, collect monthly dues, cable, elec, etc. Fairly simple to run little business'. I am working on a business plan right now, I'm pretty pumped about it.
im assuming u tryin to open a gym maybe

Old 03-02-2006, 12:05 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: drkenan

Oh, and as far as the "government...auditing your restaurant"...that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Get a good accountant and you have nothing to worry about.
i took alot accounting class it was gonna be my minior or something