Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
Stay In School
81.25%
Pack Up and Go
18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Big Decision

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 03:45 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Big Decision

Money is not issue when it comes to skewl, i am already takin managment and finacing classes rite now at a decent college
and luvin_the_rings u know what an AUDIT is

Old 03-01-2006, 03:51 AM
Site Moderator/Ninja

I can sort of relate to your situation Cheng, being Filipino, my parents & actually whole family had the same expectations as most asian families, of finish school... Its a cultural thing. Dont let that discourage you from trying to do what you want to do. If you have a good opportunity to start a business, go for it, if you feel like you can handle it.

Its all a matter of how you feel about your capabilities
now. I'm not sure on your background as far as how much youve worked in the restaurant business, but as an example -
I'm sure that there are many people who grew up in that type of busniess (maybe even a family run business) and went on
to become successful at running the business bec. of experience not bec. of schooling. True, that schooling will give you some advantage, but it depends on how its applied. And true - you should be able to do both if you really want.. I think your opportunity in San Antonio should not be wasted - but also dont go in it w/ your eyes closed.. It will be very difficult an most defenitely a learning experience. I think gaining that type of knowledge will be worth more than something you can go to school for. Real world experience...

Old 03-01-2006, 05:01 AM

Its all up to you bud, i would recomend finishing up school. -because
i could of finished a degree but....
i got just enough schooling under my belt to get my real estate license and started to help my mom run her company, now there is noway i would have time to go back to school. I think i should have stayed in college to have something to fall back on. \

Old 03-01-2006, 12:43 PM
2nd Gear

It really does depend on what type of opportunity this is. I mean at first glance, I would say to stay in school. But I obviously really don't know the gritty details of your opportunity in TX. Is it something that you wont be able to get when you finish college.

And like they said, you can possibly do them both at the same time. I would start researching the schools in the area and make some calls and ask some questions.

Good luck by the way, either way you go.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:32 PM
4th Gear

Stay in school. The restaurant business is tough. You probably know the percentages of how many restaurants make it past the first 24months better than I do. If you have a degree, then you still have something.

And spend some time in Texas before you think about moving there. It has been officially marked off my list of states where I would reside. That's not to say that Austin isn't filled with hotties, but it's still in Texas.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:47 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: pturbo

Stay in school. The restaurant business is tough. You probably know the percentages of how many restaurants make it past the first 24months better than I do. If you have a degree, then you still have something.

And spend some time in Texas before you think about moving there. It has been officially marked off my list of states where I would reside. That's not to say that Austin isn't filled with hotties, but it's still in Texas.
The 90% failure rate for restaurants is nothing more than a myth. The actual rate is closer to 60% which still sucks but it definitely can be done. If everyone didn't go into business because of the odds then we'd only have Wal-mart for shopping.

The business I'm in has an alarming failure rate of over 75% but there are many reasons for that. If I let that distract me from my goal of world domination then I would've probably failed before I started. It's not easy but I don't think school is worth a **** in the real world. Just my humble opinion.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:48 PM

Well I don't think I would call the decision easy or not- but if you think about it the answer jumps out at you.

You need to look at the long term. Even though you have the opportunity now for the business, what happens 5 years down the road if your building catches fire for instance and you are forced (financially) to close up shop without chances to open a new one? What will you have to fall back on besides your current level of education? My father has been an aircraft mechanic for close to 30years. He has his associates and for the past 10 years regrets not getting his bachelors. He no longer enjoys his job (don't worry, he's not forgetting how to do it properly!) and can't really get out of the industry due to his lack of education.

Go to school, then make sure you still want to run your own business in the first place. If you do, there will always be opportunities out there- so at that point take it. You WILL use your business degree if you start and run your own business which will help you in the long term as well.

A good idea would be to get a foot in the door somewhere (work summers etc.) then take the business over when you graduate...

Good luck and have fun writing those papers!

Old 03-01-2006, 01:49 PM
2nd Gear

Oh, and as far as the "government...auditing your restaurant"...that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Get a good accountant and you have nothing to worry about.

Old 03-01-2006, 02:01 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: drkenan

The 90% failure rate for restaurants is nothing more than a myth. The actual rate is closer to 60%
ORily? I didn't put up a specific number because I didn't have stats to back it up, but I know that it is high.

It's not easy but I don't think school is worth a **** in the real world. Just my humble opinion.
There are plenty of rich guys that didn't finish school. Bill Gates, Micheal Dell and Ross Perot come to mind, and there are many more. HOWEVER, that is bucking huge odds these days. Finishing school gets one thing behind you for all time that gives you an advantage in the business world, whether you are going to borrow money from a bank or presenting your resume to potential employers or investors in your own business.

So in short - Is it required? No. Will it help you the rest of your life? Yes.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Administrator

i been workin most my life since a young age and i know how the world works, school is very important but i know so many people with degrees that go nowhere,my dad and my uncles started their own business and they are very well off and they came here with nuthing, i just dont like the fact that i would have to unroot and move so far away

Quick Reply: Big Decision