Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Bent Frame - not the member

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 02:29 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Bent Frame - not the member

not unibody, am i wrong to think the auto body shop should have let me know that the frame was bent before getting my insurance company to approve the repair? because the repairs were almost complete before we found out about the frame.
and that was only because i called to find out how much longer it would be, they didn't make an effort to enlighten me about the frame damage...

Old 10-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Senior Administrator

Works to THEIR advantage to go the way they did. If the Ins Co knew about the frame issue up front they'd've totaled it out right away, most likely. This way, the still git (over) PAID for whatever they did do, even if it does eventually get totaled out. Remember, you can ALWAYS claim it doesn't feel right and refuse to accept it based on inadequate repairs. The Ins Co will hafta total it and pay you, but you gotta play it right.

DON'T let on you plan on rejecting it. When the tell you it's ready go and do a test drive and complain that it doesn't *feel* right. Not handling properly (which, with a Brian... Oops, I meant a BentFrame... It prolly won't NEway.). Struff like that...

You could always get Heinz to come and beat up your insurance company and the auto body shop guys for you... Settle it THAT way

Old 10-16-2005, 06:37 PM
4th Gear

if its a frame and body combo then getting the frame straitend is not that big a deal. and it will be fine to put under the body again. Its not that much of an expence either as they just place it on a frame jig and lazer aligne it and hydrolicly pull it back into place.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:07 AM
2nd Gear

Allow me a word here.
I read that it's a "full frame" vehicle - like a pick-up or (most) sport-utes?
A bent frame does not automatically make the vehicle unrepairable.
A lot depends on what TYPE of damage it is.

Rear frame rails sagging down - usually easilly repairable.
Rails collapsed (crushed) - a bit more difficult, but repairable
One note here. Is the frame rail folded over (bent) more than 45 degrees? That usually means the metal will be considerably weakened when it is straightened, and should be replaced.
Also - frames can be REPLACED. Shops di all the time on pick-ups. Just ask a Ford dealer body shop. They were having a real problem when the new '97 F-150's came out. The front rail sections would crush in a front end collision, but Ford didn't offer a front rail section as a separate part. Shops had to replace the whole frame. They have since started offering the rail sections.
What kind of vehicle is it?
Got any pictures?

Old 10-17-2005, 11:40 AM
2nd Gear

It may not be that bad. When my truck was involved in an accident they replaced a frame rail section, and all was fixed. But they found another section of my frame was almost cracked in half. They fixed it, and I got rid of it soon there after.

My advice test drive it for feel, find out what they did to fix it (replace section or straightened it), and make sure you get a warranty on the frame. Then decide what you want to do with it. i.e. reject it, keep it, or sell it.

Old 10-17-2005, 06:20 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: karguy427

Allow me a word here.
I read that it's a "full frame" vehicle - like a pick-up or (most) sport-utes?
A bent frame does not automatically make the vehicle unrepairable.
A lot depends on what TYPE of damage it is.

Rear frame rails sagging down - usually easilly repairable.
Rails collapsed (crushed) - a bit more difficult, but repairable
One note here. Is the frame rail folded over (bent) more than 45 degrees? That usually means the metal will be considerably weakened when it is straightened, and should be replaced.
Also - frames can be REPLACED. Shops di all the time on pick-ups. Just ask a Ford dealer body shop. They were having a real problem when the new '97 F-150's came out. The front rail sections would crush in a front end collision, but Ford didn't offer a front rail section as a separate part. Shops had to replace the whole frame. They have since started offering the rail sections.
What kind of vehicle is it?
Got any pictures?
yes sorry i didn't mention it is a truck. the damage did not look so bad to me, but i've only been in one wreck and they totaled out my car... i have pics from my phone...its a 2005 canyon

[IMG]local://upfiles/9220/074E061BB3014C759DC17FC78A55F983.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9220/C0330C7CD9994FEE8078901F541797D1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-17-2005, 11:58 PM

just hoped the total the car. Bent frames are bad. That means it was a hard hit. I mean a crash at 20mph wont bend a frame. U will have alot of problems with it if u keep it. The only way i would even think about keeping it is if they guarnteed it for life.

Old 10-18-2005, 12:03 AM
4th Gear

yeah it will. expesialy on a truck like that. small weak bumber then right behind it frame, and it has its own crumple zones to. but I would still ditch it If they try and give it back to me.

Old 10-18-2005, 12:38 AM

if u sell it fast then teh carfax wont be up to date and u could get away wit ppl not knowing the car has a bent frame and has been in an accident. I would feel bad doing that though. Just trade it in.

Old 10-18-2005, 03:56 AM
4th Gear

your leagaly suposed to disclose anything like that, that you know of. but yeah trade it in and ask for more than they offer.

Quick Reply: Bent Frame - not the member