Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Bad news for Bob0192837465

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Senior Administrator
Default Bad news for Bob0192837465

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2008/jan/10/motorcycle-riders-could-lose-bikes-excessive-speed/

Motorcycle riders could lose bikes for excessive speeding
Associated Press
Thursday, January 10, 2008

function fbs_click() {u=location.href;t=document.title;window.open('htt p://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u='+encodeURIComponent(u)+'&t='+encodeU RIComponent(t),'sharer','toolbar=0,status=0,width= 626,height=436');return false;}

TALLAHASSEE — Flying down the highway at 120 mph and popping a wheelie could soon cost a motorcycle rider more than a fine. It could cost him his bike.

Riders charged with reckless driving or exceeding the speed limit by 50 mph could be arrested and have their bikes seized under a bill filed in the Florida House and discussed Thursday. Riders later convicted of those offenses could lose their motorcycle licenses for 10 years.

The state needs to send a tough message to motorcyclists who drive recklessly on the highway, said Rep. Carlos Lopez-Cantera, R-Miami, the sponsor of the bill (HB 137).
"It's not just the riders putting themselves in danger," he said. "They're also putting other motorists in danger. They're riding little missiles."

In 2006, the Florida Highway Patrol investigated 119 deaths caused by motorcycles in urban areas. That doesn't include fatal crashes investigated by local authorities. All but 10 of those deaths involved careless or reckless driving at up to three times the posted speed limits.

Florida's chapter of American Bikers Aiming Toward Education (ABATE) objects to the proposed law. The idea of taking away someone's motorcycle, selling it and giving the money to law enforcement is ridiculous, said James "Doc" Reichenbach, the group's president.

"We're not saying there isn't a problem, but this isn't a problem that is going to go away by taking away someone's motorcycle," Reichenbach said. He then added, "(And that's) if they catch them. They can't catch them now."
Lopez-Cantera acknowledged the difficulty in chasing down a motorcycle going 120 mph or faster. But law enforcement officers can set up stings and follow bikers in helicopters or unmarked cars until they stop, he said.

Members of the House's Committee on Infrastructure on Thursday decided to postpone passing the bill out of their committee, however, until they can adress concerns about the severity of the punishments in it.

Rep. Gary Aubuchon, R-Cape Coral, the committee's vice chair, said he'd like to see a system where penalties become progressively more severe after repeat offenses, instead of taking a person's motorcycle the first time.

Reckless motorcyclists are a problem in South Florida, but it's not the case everywhere, said Rep. Jimmy Patronis, R-Panama City. It's unfair to place such strict laws on all riders when only a relatively small group in one part of the state is a problem, he said.

Members of the committee agreed to take a closer look at the legislation and to work with motorcycle groups and others on the problem of speeding and reckless driving.

Bob?!?!?![/align]

Old 01-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja
Default RE: Bad news for Bob0192837465

i read the title & thought he got banned. [:-].

Old 01-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Senior Administrator

it could STILL happen...

Old 01-11-2008, 05:04 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

+1, but +10000 on the article. I pull out in front of bikers when I see them riding like retards. I think that if you get caught doing that sh*t you should really be banned for life from riding, and have your regular car license suspended for at least a year.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:23 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: CLX

+1, but +10000 on the article. I pull out in front of bikers when I see them riding like retards. I think that if you get caught doing that sh*t you should really be banned for life from riding, and have your regular car license suspended for at least a year.
I hope you don't mean cut them off when you say you pull out in front of them, cause that causes as many bike accidents and biker deaths as bikers riding like idiots (speaking from experience, my gf's parents ride, and they have...well i guess had...friends who have died or been seriously injured in accidents while on a bike just out of other people's sheer ignorance, like when people don't pay enough attention to the road and don't see that there's a bike in the lane over and just change lanes, or when they don't give a bike enough room to operate)... but yeah, I agree with what you're saying 100%, just not your actions in dealing. that's up to the cops to deal with them. if anything were to happen to that biker, you'd be fucked haha.

Its good that they're trying to punish those dummies on bikes that choose to drive like there are no consequences, but I don't think that the state should be allowed to confiscate someone's private property like that... although taking away their bike licence for 10 years is an awesome idea, imo. maybe if they suspended the license and gave em a hefty fine?

Old 01-11-2008, 06:05 PM
4th Gear

I thought this was a ban Bob0192837465 thread[sm=boosign.gif]

Nothing new in NY. They have special squads that take bikes just for the hell of it lol My cousin got pulled over and charged for reckless driving after he was tailed, by the cop, for nearly 3 miles. If you see someone tailing you your gonna speed up right? Anyways his bike got impounded and when he got it back the rear tire which had less than 300 miles on it was fvckin bald. Riding in NY is like having a big "arrest me" sticker on your jacket.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:17 PM
1st Gear

That sucks in NY. There are a lot of idiots on bikes out here in Cali, but I commuted on one for over 2 years almost everyday with little incident. If you ride or drive like an idiot... you're an idiot. But if you're safe, its all in good fun until someone runs you over! Personally I think getting a motorcycle license should be a required part of getting regular license. I think it would open a lot of reckless drivers eyes. But wait... who am I kidding. We're talking about people... and some people are just stupid.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:34 PM
4th Gear

The foolsall ride like that because they have "little missiles"

Old 01-11-2008, 06:55 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Kraysaw

That sucks in NY. There are a lot of idiots on bikes out here in Cali, but I commuted on one for over 2 years almost everyday with little incident. If you ride or drive like an idiot... you're an idiot. But if you're safe, its all in good fun until someone runs you over! Personally I think getting a motorcycle license should be a required part of getting regular license. I think it would open a lot of reckless drivers eyes. But wait... who am I kidding. We're talking about people... and some people are just stupid.
Is "whitelining" still legal in CA?

Old 01-11-2008, 07:03 PM
1st Gear

I think you are referring to splitting lanes. Yes it is. One of the great benefits to riding a motorcycle.

The problem is that many idiots do it when its really dangerous. I think the law says you are only suppose to do it when traffic is moving at like 25mph or less and you're not suppose to exceed more than about 15mph faster than that traffic... I can't remember the exact rules. But it sure helps you beat traffic if you do it safely.

You'll see guys blowing between cars going 80-90 when traffic is moving at normal speeds. Stupid. The worst time though in my opinion is when traffic is stop and go and moving up to around 40mph or so. That's just when some idiot is gonna not look and decide one lane over left or right is moving faster and jump over and plow the knucklehead flying down between lanes on a bike.

Quick Reply: Bad news for Bob0192837465