Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Audis in Test Drive Unlimited

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 07:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Audis in Test Drive Unlimited

* Apologies if this is a repost, I did a search and found no similar results *
For the gamers out there:
It looks like Audis will be well represented in Atari's upcoming Test Drive Unlimited for the XBox 360 and PC.
The following Audis will be available in-game off the shelf:
- Audi A3 3.2 quattro DSG
- Audi A6 4.2 quattro
- Audi S4 Cabriolet
- Audi TT quattro sport
Rumor has it that the first round of downloadable content for TDU will include the RS4.
Also, as many may know, the game focus around your move to Oahu, Hawaii (of which the entire island is mapped in game, over 1000 miles of roads) and acquisitions of cars and homes once you arrive. To depart from the airport and go house/car shopping, you must rent a vehicle for 10-20 minutes. One of the 5 vehicles available for rent is an Audi S4 Cabrio (screen cap below.) [8D]
I'm very excited about this game, and I thought the included Audis might get a few of you stoked as well.
I've included photos of the two Audis that I've been able to find screen caps for below, if you're able to find any of the others, please include them for everyone's pleasure.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:09 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Audis in Test Drive Unlimited

Here's a link to a nice vid of the S4 Cabrio in action:
Test Drive Unlimited- Audi S4 Cabriolet
* EDIT *
Nevermind, link doesn't work.
Click this linky, and select "Gameplay Movie 12" if you're interested

Old 08-28-2006, 01:15 AM
4th Gear

Sweet, a game where you get to drive Audis and exotics in Hawaii, what could be better? Oh yea the real thing...I saw some screenshots and demos, the game doesn't look too bad, I'd have to rent it to see how it holds up against GT4 or Forza. Is it realistic like pulling over at a Zippy's, get stuck in traffic at Waikiki or carjacked over in Wai'anae Side lol

Old 08-28-2006, 06:47 AM
2nd Gear

just from that vid, the physics suck! i remember test drive back on commodore. you could hold the road no matter what, but the dynamics of the cars changed a little bit. and it took about 5 minutes to start up a run and if the cops pulled you over or you hit another car, the cliff, or went off the side, 5 more minutes. in this new one, the tires screached out of the parking lot. i have a hard time screaching mine in most turns and that's at higher speeds. and it didn't look like the car was effected in the collision. with all the things that programmers can do to these new generation games (gt3, forenza, pgr3) i want damage and destruction when someone beats up the car, and i like when the physics in the game get close to the real thing. i hope that this video is only a beta and the real game improves on these characteristics.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:33 PM
1st Gear

There will be no damage...
Manufacturer's hate to see their beauties beat up. As such, we'll probably never see much more than a broken mirror or scraped door panel.
Physics in Test Drive Unlimited are better than average. The game uses the Havoc Physics engine. Cars react realistically (read: semi-unpredictably) over bumpy or rough terrain and roadholding seems realistic. Handling at low speeds is a bit twitchy and cars do not react quickly enough at high speed, but no where near as bad as in the clip (whoever is driving that car is horrible.)
Overall, much more realistic than the Need for Speed series but not a "simulator" like Forza, GT4, or GTR. Even so, the amazing cockpit enviroments in this game more than make up for some of the flaws in handling. Sitting inside such a realistic cockpit on a big screen TV really gives it that special something to instill realism.