Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

audis...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 03:17 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: audis...

So, to minorly hi-jack this I have a question...

SilverSeven, what design (I4,I5, I6, V6, V8, V10, or V12)will potentially give the best results in regards to horsepower/torque and displacement?

And a supplementary question - Is horsepower or torque more important or are they both equally important?

Old 12-22-2007, 03:36 PM
2nd Gear

Any based on the design.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:00 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Whiplash

Any based on the design.
Any design based on their design willyield the best potential results?

I hate to be a smart @$$, but I don't get it.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Rob_B

Average american 350ci motor - 5.7L V8 - Maybe 300 hp.
LS7 motor ('07 Z06) - 7L V8 - 505hp.

BMW's S54 motor - 3.2L straight six - 320-330 hp.
Audi RS4 - 4.2L V8 - 420hp.
Porsche 911 GT3 - 3.6L H6 - 415hp.
My 'priller motor - 1L V-twin - 140hp.

In my personal opinion, it's not about displacement or cylinder count. It's the power/displacement ratio that speaks to me of a motor's level of engineering and technology. 100hp/L is straight magic. As you can see here, America simply sucks at building engines. Oh, and all the examples above are naturally aspirated. Here's a few examples of FI for comparison, and as you'll plainly see, Detroit sucks at that too. Off the top of my head...

'03 Ford SVT Cobra - 4.6L V8, Roots type supercharger - 390 hp.
'89 Porsche 959 - 2.85L H6, turbocharged - 444 hp.
I think you just don’t know much about cars or engines for that matter. Don’t you think a better merit for judging an engine’s performance would be how much horse power it makes to fuel it uses? I mean at the end of the day isn’t the engine the makes the most horse power with the least amount of fuel the best performer? So let’s go down your list of great engines

BMW 3.2l: 16 city 23 highway @333hp & 262 torque
Audi rs4: 14 city 21 highway @420hp & 317 torque
Porsche GT3: 17 city 24 highway @420hp & 298 torque

Now let’s compare that to the z06

2006 Z06: 16 city 26 highway @505 hp & 470 torque

Isn’t that strange? The z06 make more horsepower and over 150 more lb/ft of torque than any of the others yet gets the same or better gas mileage.

And before you give me the weight argument, let’s compare 2 cars with the same engine (the Ls1) but different weight, the 2001 vette and 2001 z28, the z28 weighs more than 3600 lbs.

2001 vette: 19 city 28 highway @350 hp & 375 torque
2001 z28: 19 city 27 highway @350 hp & 340 torque

all data came from and can be confirmed at http://autos.msn.com/

Look when it comes to older v8s, I agree with you. It almost seemed like they didn’t care about performance before 1997. But modern day engines are an entirely different story, especially when you are talking about any Gen III Chevy small block. It a complete redesign from the older v8’s and shares NOTHING with them except similar displacement numbers.

Now, to take this agreement one more step forward, lets take the engines I’ve listed above and see which one is capable of the most horsepower with after market parts…you will find right away any of gm LsX engines will net you the most power. I’ve seen ls1’s put out over 3000 horsepower to the wheels! Can’t say the same for any of the other engines. You want to talk power to displacement ratios…that’s like ...526 horsepower per liter... Hell gm just released a 6.0l block that is factory rated at 2500 horse power and god only knows how much torque. this is due to the fact that all gen 3 small blocks are 6 bolt main engines (you likely dont know what the even means).

So why don’t you cool it before saying all American car companies can’t make good engines without knowing the facts. Look I love Audi’s, BMW’s and Porsches but I would never say these companies make crappie engines because they get cruddy gas mileage. They just go about it in different ways. GM choose large displacement, Audi choose larger injectors and higher flowing head…its all about the same at the end of the day.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:48 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Khardysius

So, to minorly hi-jack this I have a question...

SilverSeven, what design (I4,I5, I6, V6, V8, V10, or V12)will potentially give the best results in regards to horsepower/torque and displacement?
The engine that will give the best hp/tq will always be the one which most efficiently burns the fuel and flows the most fuel and air.Cylinder configuration has little to do with peak hp/tq.

In theory, if you had a five liter single cylinder engine and a five liter V-16 engine, with all other things beingequal, they should make the same power, in fact, if they are flowing identical quantities of fuel and air, then they will make the same power. But there are variables. More cylinders means more parasitic drag from various engine components, namelyrodand crank journals andvalve train parts.However, piston speed is very important, and to make a five liter single cylinder engine you would either have a square engine with a huge stroke and an excessively high piston speed, or you make a seriously over square engine with a short stroke and huge bore requiring a lot of space and a lot of extra weight.

With more cylinders, you can have a shorter stroke andyou can increase the rev limit, and revs mean horsepower. I know that sounds counterintiutive when you think of high revving fours and low speed torque monster V-8s, but that conception is due to displacement, or more accurately, stroke size. Regardless of the number of cylinders, a shorter stroke means more revs. If you think a two liter four banger revs high, you should see a two liter V-8 with half the stroke length.

ORIGINAL: Khardysius
And a supplementary question - Is horsepower or torque more important or are they both equally important?
Build for horsepower, gear for torque. More on that later.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:54 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: jonus079

In my personal opinion, it's not about displacement or cylinder count. It's the power/displacement ratio that speaks to me of a motor's level of engineering and technology. 100hp/L is straight magic. As you can see here, America simply sucks at building engines. Oh, and all the examples above are naturally aspirated. Here's a few examples of FI for comparison, and as you'll plainly see, Detroit sucks at that too. Off the top of my head...

I think you just don’t know much about cars or engines for that matter. Don’t you think a better merit for judging an engine’s performance would be how much horse power it makes to fuel it uses? I mean at the end of the day isn’t the engine the makes the most horse power with the least amount of fuel the best performer? So let’s go down your list of great engines

Isn’t that strange? The z06 make more horsepower and over 150 more lb/ft of torque than any of the others yet gets the same or better gas mileage.

And before you give me the weight argument, let’s compare 2 cars with the same engine (the Ls1) but different weight, the 2001 vette and 2001 z28, the z28 weighs more than 3600 lbs.

Look when it comes to older v8s, I agree with you. It almost seemed like they didn’t care about performance before 1997. But modern day engines are an entirely different story, especially when you are talking about any Gen III Chevy small block. It a complete redesign from the older v8’s and shares NOTHING with them except similar displacement numbers.

Now, to take this agreement one more step forward, lets take the engines I’ve listed above and see which one is capable of the most horsepower with after market parts…you will find right away any of gm LsX engines will net you the most power. I’ve seen ls1’s put out over 3000 horsepower to the wheels! Can’t say the same for any of the other engines. You want to talk power to displacement ratios…that’s like ...526 horsepower per liter... Hell gm just released a 6.0l block that is factory rated at 2500 horse power and god only knows how much torque. this is due to the fact that all gen 3 small blocks are 6 bolt main engines (you likely dont know what the even means).

So why don’t you cool it before saying all American car companies can’t make good engines without knowing the facts. Look I love Audi’s, BMW’s and Porsches but I would never say these companies make crappie engines because they get cruddy gas mileage. They just go about it in different ways. GM choose large displacement, Audi choose larger injectors and higher flowing head…its all about the same at the end of the day.
pwnd [sm=americanasmiley.gif]
ok but no seriously, i think i learned more reading like 3 of the posts on this thread than i did in school

and great points!

Old 12-22-2007, 08:57 PM
4th Gear

everything also depends on your perspective of sound, if you like the high pitched lawnmower like sound or the gator growl, then MPG and then hp and torque.....different cyl provide all these options, but like silverseven said, it depends how its built

Old 12-22-2007, 09:09 PM
1st Gear

I never said a word about mileage. You're talking about efficiency, I've got my own personal critera that was clearly prefaced in my original post by a statement that this was all my opinion.

I also never mentioned weight. I was talking about engines, not cars.

None of the engines in my list were modified. Stop trying to refute arguments I didn't make.

I stated my opinion, and backed it with factual numbers. I said that what I appreciate in an engine is power/displacement ratio, then listed examples to show that, off the production line, America doesn't quite measure up to the Germans. Again, all you did is try to refute arguments I didn't make in a futile attempt to change my opinion.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:27 PM
1st Gear

I never said a word about mileage. You're talking about efficiency, I've got my own personal critera that was clearly prefaced in my original post by a statement that this was all my opinion.

yeah and its a stupid critera to judge by alone. thats like saying...oh well the v8 only has 16 valves so the 30v engine in my audi is better. theres more to it then just that.

I also never mentioned weight. I was talking about engines, not cars.

i put that in so you wouldnt say "oh well the z06 gets better mileage because its so much lighter". it also shows that even with a 500 lb wieght diffrence this is little diffrence in mpg when it comes to these horsepower numbers.

None of the engines in my list were modified. Stop trying to refute arguments I didn't make.

what an engine comes with from factory has nothing to do with what its capable of. the technogly and design that goes into an engine does however, which if i remeber correctly, is exactly what you said these engines were lacking.

I stated my opinion, and backed it with factual numbers. I said that what I appreciate in an engine is power/displacement ratio, then listed examples to show that, off the production line, America doesn't quite measure up to the Germans. Again, all you did is try to refute arguments I didn't make in a futile attempt to change my opinion.
the only facts you gave me were factory horsepower vs diplacement. that harrrrrrdly sums up the the quality, design, and level of engineering that goes into an engine. im not gunna lie, i was once like you until i realized this.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:40 PM
4th Gear

EXTREMELY GOOD POINT!!!! like how some engines blew because the blocks were different metals than then the cylinder heads(heated up at different speeds) and like the DSM GSX and GST mitsu eclipses it was there (7 bolt?) engines that the oil squirters werent good, so it did the bearings bad and caused crankwalk

Quick Reply: audis...