Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
Audi
91.06%
BMW
8.94%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Audi vs. BMW

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 01:04 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: Audi vs. BMW

ORIGINAL: bazzag

Got to vote for the Bimmer's. Just picked up a '07335xi and it is a dream. All wheel drive and 300hp. I also have a '00 A6 2.7t quattro and while I love my audi it has me thinking of selling it. If the 3 series were only a bit more roomier I would get another 335.
Really not a fair comparison there...

Old 12-10-2007, 05:55 PM
3rd Gear

Well lets just say that both vehicles kick some serious tail when it comes to ALL-around performance, comfort, style, luxury and prestige. A lot better than the more elderly based benz(except their new c-class which is stunning). But I have many reasons why audi claims german superiority amongst it competition. First of all, and most obvious, is its incredible awd system, which is unsurpassed by all of its wannabe competition. I live in chicago, il and its winter half the year which is fine with me but its not a great place for the rwd bmw's that if I may add, are pretty light vehicles in the back which doesn't help with traction. I have a buddy who is all-things bavarian. Last winter he picked me up one morning after a 4'+ snow shower and a couple minutes into the drive he lost control going 40 on a straight road and we ended up in a ditch after he did a 540 degree spin out. So we had to take a 2 mile hike in the blistering cold to pick up my a6 and get a chain. He was sure he had to call a tow truck since it was deep in snow and ice. But I just hooked both vehicles up and when my audi hit 3.500 rpm it yanked out the 2 1/2 ton bmw 740 smoothly back onto the road. Even an observing guy in a lifted diesel congragulated me with my fine automobile. My friend didn't learn his lesson and picked up a 2002 530i. These two vehicles are very comparable...rather than previous examples. Good looks are undeniable (besides the ugly stereo system and orange lights in the cluster..ewww...) and so is its straightaway speed and torque. My mods are listed and he has exhaust, intake and dinan software but in drags and freeway rallies, our vehicles were neck to neck. But when goin through twisty curves and rollercoaster roads it didn't give me the secure feeling my audi does. Yea its a more involving and thrilling ride...because every second u think how a slight understeer at higher speeds means an easy wipe out into a tree or light post. I don't care what editors of magazines say...I don't like being THAT involved. Its easy for editors to place bmw #1 when they're test driving the vehicles in 75 degree days and dry roads. You leave them stranded in a 30 degree and precipitated (snow/ice) area and give them the choice of driving a bmw or audi...and you KNOW what they'll choose. Plus how many championship races has audi won compared to bmw?? The audi tdi amazes all of its competition. The only thing that would better the audi is more variety in their high performance drivetrain. They only used several versions of the 4.2 and 5.2. Hooray for the rs6 now we just need it in the states. Also reliability for audi is excellent and costs of parts and maintanance are reasonable when the fact that you own one of the highest grade vehicles on earth sinks in. In my opinion bmw's are over-priced when compared to equally equipped audi's. Audi's looks are elegant and also sporty...great combination for the younger peers. Those rings are a world-wide trademark of excellence and quality. Like I have said before, bmw's are beautiful machines but my personal critique opts for the autobahn rocket that audi is known for in the euro dtm crowd.
May I add that I am quite dissappointed that bimmer couldn't squeeze more performance ponies into that 335 platform. I mean, it is a 3.5 in-line twin turbo...I was expecting 350 maybe...but its a good looker and able performer.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:49 PM
1st Gear

I think BMW is the ultimate driving machine. I still prefer my audi, it seems i have more chemistry with it (i don't know why).bmw and audi are definately my favorite cars short of paying +$100,000.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:38 AM

As a recent owner of an e46BMW 330ci ZHP I can say that the BMW was the best car to drive that I have everowned (I actually looked for reasons to drive this car, anywhere). I live in Minnesota, and despite the RWD, it never left me stranded in the white stuff, the Dunlop M3 snow shoes I put on it7 months out of the year (as well as the traction control)worked great.(I add this since I see a lot of posts about Quattro cars pulling away from BMWs in the snow and rain. Hey, in the snow and rain I'm just looking to get from point A to B. I'll dust other cars whenconditions aredry, and much more safe to consider doing so).

S4sweetee drive a BMW if you get the chance, you will not be dissapointed!

The A4 is a great car, well engineered, but isn't what I would call superexciting to drive (unless you compare it to makes from the US and Japan). The interior is definately a step up from BMW, and it has the advantage of a lowerprice point.

All that said, I will add that:

1. In motorsports Audi has the definite advantage.

2. I did have an oppertunity to drive a demo S5, BMW look out!

3. I like the Audis that we currentlyhave. OurA4shave 80% of the performance of BMW, 80% of the luxury of a Mercedes,all an attractive price.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:51 PM
2nd Gear

I prefer Audi.

Audi's are definitely more stable and I never feel like "omg I could die at any moment" while I'm driving my A6. BMW's are made to thrill, but so is a Colt Magnum pistol. Meanwhile, the Glock without all the flash and noise, still gets the job done consistently and effortlessly.

When I wanna go fast, I can go fast, and when I wanna slow down, I can do that easily as well. Hell, my friend drives a 325 and he says that he loves my car more than his BMW because as he put it it's just "f***ing sexy."

Also, the RS6 is a monster. It looks as civil as my A6, but it's a 450hp beast. They did some testing with an M5, RS6, and Mercedes CL something or another (I can't keep up with BMW and Mercedes 8 million variants) and the RS6 handled better, stopped quicker, and accelerated faster than the others.

Audi has only recently started to actually want to compete with the others and show their dominance. Before, they were all about individuality and innovation. Now you've got the Q7 V12 TDI coming out, the Le Mans R8, the new RS4, RS6, and S5... and that's just for starters. Everyone in the automotive industry is watching Audi.. why? Because they HAVE to or they'll get blown away.

Audi, the car for people who can park themselves.

Owned.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:48 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: DoubleA4

As a recent owner of an e46BMW 330ci ZHP I can say that the BMW was the best car to drive that I have everowned (I actually looked for reasons to drive this car, anywhere). I live in Minnesota, and despite the RWD, it never left me stranded in the white stuff, the Dunlop M3 snow shoes I put on it7 months out of the year (as well as the traction control)worked great.(I add this since I see a lot of posts about Quattro cars pulling away from BMWs in the snow and rain. Hey, in the snow and rain I'm just looking to get from point A to B. I'll dust other cars whenconditions aredry, and much more safe to consider doing so).

S4sweetee drive a BMW if you get the chance, you will not be dissapointed!

The A4 is a great car, well engineered, but isn't what I would call superexciting to drive (unless you compare it to makes from the US and Japan). The interior is definately a step up from BMW, and it has the advantage of a lowerprice point.

All that said, I will add that:

1. In motorsports Audi has the definite advantage.

2. I did have an oppertunity to drive a demo S5, BMW look out!

3. I like the Audis that we currentlyhave. OurA4shave 80% of the performance of BMW, 80% of the luxury of a Mercedes,all an attractive price.
I'm with you. Recently got out of 330i RWD and it was the best car I've ever owned, but settled for the Audi A4 2.0t because of the quattro and cheaper pricing. Not nearly as exciting, but way more affordable and the freeway gas mileage is fantastic...33mpg on 300 mile trip at around 80mph. Probably go back to BMW next, but really depends on the APR chip upgrade I plan on purchasing soon.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:28 PM

here's the video that will settle this

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...65500288838794

Old 03-10-2008, 06:39 PM

I don't like bimmers, but I like to screw up the ratings of this poll.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:11 PM

Amen Brother.