Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Audi/Evo nose mod on a Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 02:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi/Evo nose mod on a Subaru

Hello. I am from the Subaru forums, and I have something I would like your opinion on.

There seems to be a trend arising in the Subaru community of people painting their bumpers to imitate the Audi look. Some even call it the "Audi mask."

For example:
Name:  autocross.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  37.7 KB

There are two sides to this argument:

The people that do this mod, believe it is cool and perfectly reasonable for them to do it. They also believe it is not a ricer mod, and that they also consider themselves true Subaru enthusiasts.

The people against it, say it is definitely a ricer mod, and in no way are these people true Subaru enthusiasts. If they were true enthusiasts, they would not disrespect their car and Subaru, by making their car look like another manufacturer's car.

I would like the Audi community's opinion on this trend, as it is you whom these people are imitating.

Here is the Subaru forum link so you can feast your eyes on the Audi Mask mod and discussion:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1862344

Old 09-23-2010, 02:49 PM
4th Gear

its a definetly an audi thing, startig with B7 gen of cars. then the evo came in to distinguish their high performance line form the other lancers cars, but still an audi thing, anyone else that does it like this suby here are a buch of *****, just my 2 cents.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by SAudi
but still an audi thing, anyone else that does it like this suby here are a buch of *****, just my 2 cents.
Yea just like a4 guys that do the "m3 lip spoiler"
I say who cares, Its not like they are putting an actual audi front end on a subie. It looks good in my opinion.
Now this is ghey, saw it at the mall and had to take pics.
Name:  cbbdbf5c.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  128.1 KB
Name:  2c4e8080.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  98.9 KB

Old 09-23-2010, 04:38 PM
5th Gear

lol @ the eclipse.

I doubt I'd have made the Audi connection if I saw that subie... It looks great, though. It's an upside-down version of the Audi grill, I suppose. I don't see why people would hate it.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:50 PM
3rd Gear

I kinda put it more in the OEM+ category. It's just paint. It's like painting our roof black really. Plus it does look good.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:07 PM
5th Gear

well we have a guy who put a american V8 into his B5. what would you say about that lol. it's all in opinion imo. and it's not your car haha.

i guess if i had to comment on it, it rly depends the color of the car. as far as imitating audi, who wouldn't? audis look so daym good : D

Old 09-23-2010, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

For what it's worth, I like the look of Audi's front end so much, that I just sold my 500hp Subaru and bought a 07 S4

Old 09-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Administrator

I'm a firm believer that with any mod, there are tasteful and...not-so-tasteful ways to do it. I'm also a believer that a car looks the way it looks because thats what the owner finds attractive, and thats all that matters. That said, I think the silver STi in the OP is tastefully done. That Acura/Mistu bastard child, not so much. Do I think it's "rice" or does it make you a poser to paint the front of a Subie to look like an Audi? No.

This, however, is wrong:

And this:

And everything in this thread.

I agree with faster, I see this as no different than us putting M3 lip spoilers on the trunk or angel eye/halo headlights, even though i don't like either

Old 09-23-2010, 06:22 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hiwords
well we have a guy who put a american V8 into his B5. what would you say about that lol. it's all in opinion imo. and it's not your car haha.

i guess if i had to comment on it, it rly depends the color of the car. as far as imitating audi, who wouldn't? audis look so daym good : D
Yep that is all I am looking for is the opinion of Audi owners. I am not here to suede anyone either way.

I personally, am against it. I believe it is tacky. If you really want a car that looks like an Audi, why not just buy an Audi? That is my thinking behind it. I am all for performance mods, but the things that people do to make their car "look cool", can have a negative impact on the way people view those cars. I am starting to hear more and more ricer comments when I tell people what I drive. A few years ago I would never have heard that. It seems Subaru is becoming the new Civic, and that concerns me.

I know it is probably a fruitless effort to fight against silly mods and to uphold the reputation of our cars. Kids will always do silly stuff, and put the next new shiny fad on their car.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Casper:

I can understand why you're against it, I read through about 80% of that NASIOC thread you posted and many of those "Audi Masks" were very poorly done. If I were a Subie owner I would probably agree with you. As I mentioned above, I think bimmer headlights and spoilers on Audis look out of place. That said, I think trying to convince everyone in that thread is a losing battle, seems to be a good amount of support for the whole idea. To each his own, I suppose. Welcome to AF btw

Quick Reply: Audi/Evo nose mod on a Subaru