Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

ATTN: All WA State Residents... (Help Needed)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Administrator
Default ATTN: All WA State Residents... (Help Needed)

I am putting this out there so club members and car enthusiasts know what is happening in Olympia. These bills (see below) are currently in the house and HB 1113 may be voted on tomorrow if Rep Kirby thinks there are enough votes to pass. Right now, it seems to be a split.
I am told by the lobbyist from the Auto Body Craftsmen association that insurance companies have 9 lobbyists working the Representatives right now. The ACA only has one lobbyist.

I am urging the support of these three consumer friendly bills currently proposed by Rep. Steve Kirby, House finance, insurance and consumer protection committee chair.
Here is what you need to do to support these bills:
Look up who your legislator is: http://www.leg.wa.gov/legislature, click on Find your legislator and enter the address so you can find your Representative. You will see your two Representatives. Click on their home page and then you will see their email address.
CALL AND EMAIL THESE PEOPLE ASAP!!!!!!!
Here are the three bills:
HB 1113 outlaws insurance company owned auto repair centers: tell your representative that you want them to support the original form of this bill, not the amended version which allows insurers to own auto repair centers and steer business legally to them. This is a direct conflict of interest and anti consumer choice. Allstate is the main insurer pushing this as they own collision centers in Texas and California. This is in the wake of their 5 billion dollars net profit in 2006. Texas has now outlawed Insurer owned repair shops.

HB 1112 Aftermarket parts disclosure required in writing from vehicle owner/Aftermarket parts can not be required during the warranty period up to 5 years. Aftermarket parts devalue consumer’s vehicles. Also, Aftermarket parts have never been crash tested by the DOT. Additionally, these parts (sheet metal, bumpers, lighting, etc) have fit finish and quality issues that do not restore a vehicle to pre loss condition.

HB 1491 gives the consumer the right to sue their insurance company in superior court and win attorney’s fees and litigation expenses if their claim in wrongful denied or not paid. Currently, consumers have to pay out of pocket to try to recover any unpaid expenses from their insurer and most simply can’t afford to do it. This would level the playing field and give consumers the ability to hold their insurer accountable for the terms of the contract in their policy.
Tell your representative that you whole heartedly support this bill. Consumers have little hope of fighting their insurance company if/when they are short changed after a claim. (Remember Ethel Adams, the woman who Farmers tried to screw out of 2 million dollars after her major accident?) Tell your representative that Ethel Adams happens every day on a smaller scale. Insurers are making billions of dollars at the expense of consumers. Please give consumers a chance to recover what is owed to them per the insurance policy with out have to foot the bill for legal expenses which cost more than the amount of the underpayment. This bill will give consumers the protection they need!
If these bills reflect your beliefs, consider posting this on other boards.
If you want the files (IE copies of the bills) email me.. or let me know where I can upload PDF's

Old 02-06-2007, 09:07 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: ATTN: All WA State Residents... (Help Needed)

Ok, I've got a lot of family up in that area, some who are real car enthusiaists. I'm going to copy this and email it to them,. They are the activist types and will appreciate the heads up.
Intersesting about Allstate and California....I was just talking to a guy in my office 10 minutes ago about Allstate...