Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Ask a Cop

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by S4sweetee
do you ever hear from James?
Actually, I tried calling him, a couple months ago. Left a VM. Nothin'.

Maybe I'll try FB.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

how much over the speed limit can i go without being ticketed?
0 mph over. You hear a lot of wive's tales that they will allow you 5 over, but it's really common sense...If you tell the cop "Hey I was only 3 mph over, I'm good for that right?" then you have admitted to the cop that you were knowingly breaking the law.

Simple as that.

Last edited by SlackJaw; 05-21-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:23 AM
1st Gear

how much over the speed limit can i go without being ticketed?
0Honestly.
are cops more lenient on interstates where 90% of cars are traveling road trips, rather than just day to day errands?
No, travelers stand less of a chance fighting the ticket due to they would have to come back to the area they got cited to fight it.
what do i say when you ask: "maam, do you know how fast you were going? or maam, do you know the speed limit?"
If you were only doing a few over just admit it!
what are the best things to say to get out of a ticket?
DO NOT CRY, You will have a MUCH higher chance of getting a ticket if you cry just as I'm asking questions!
Originally Posted by AWDaholic
MD = 16over
VA = 12/16over (12 = NOVA/16 = SOVA)
PA = 11over
OH = 16over
MI = 19over (especially at night)

Hey! Ask A Cop!!! Think you'd catch me using my above stated operating parameters?
It depends, I myself wont even consider pulling you over until 12 over, I wont ticket until 15 over... That being said some dept. are a lot more strict, like the highway *****, I mean Highway Patrol...

Old 05-22-2010, 10:10 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by AskAcop
It depends, I myself wont even consider pulling you over until 12 over, I wont ticket until 15 over... That being said some dept. are a lot more strict, like the highway *****, I mean Highway Patrol...
I have a cop friend that told me on a lot of days during peak traffic hours most people are floating 10 over, it's the folks going reckless most cops are waiting to nab, because flow of traffic isn't as dangerous as the jackass going 90mph.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Administrator

My commute takes me over a really busy interchange with I-495 (we call it the beltway down here). Occasionally, when traffic is really bad, I see a motorcycle cop who will park his bike and walk up and down the street in the middle of traffic and write tickets for seat belts, registration, busted tail lights, etc. I think its pretty dumb, but is he allowed to just wander around in the middle of the road like that?

Old 05-22-2010, 11:13 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
My commute takes me over a really busy interchange with I-495 (we call it the beltway down here). Occasionally, when traffic is really bad, I see a motorcycle cop who will park his bike and walk up and down the street in the middle of traffic and write tickets for seat belts, registration, busted tail lights, etc. I think its pretty dumb, but is he allowed to just wander around in the middle of the road like that?
Yes, why wouldn't he be? Do I think it's right? ehhh he must be really bored! I don't know the area but I wouldn't do it personal safety is #1. Being surround my multiple vehicles while on foot is just setting yourself up for failure imo

Old 05-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Yeah I dunno I suppose there's no reason it wouldn't be legal, just seemed too stupid to make sense to me lol.

Thats the beltway ^. The road he was walkin around in was only 3 lanes across, its a bridge over the highway in that picture. Still just seems like he's askin to be a hood ornament

Old 05-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Senior Administrator

Are you talking about the one @ Braddock or Van Dorn? I don't roll through that area much, anymore, but that looks like eastbound, a ways before you hit the (new, revamped, much-more-confusing-than-it-already-was-and-already-over-its-newly-designed-capacity) Mixing-Bowl.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:17 AM
1st Gear

Hey cop!

Your personal opinions on the annual "Click it or Ticket" campaign please.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:06 PM
1st Gear

I'm all for seat belts just 2 weeks ago a guy wasn't wearing his drove off the roadway and hit an embankment, both airbags deployed, well he wasn't wearing his seat belt by the time his airbags went off he was laying across the front seat from the truck bouncing around and on impact smashed his head right off the console, died 2 days later at the hospital from head trauma