Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Ask a Cop

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:57 AM
1st Gear

Okay, I got a couple...

In Texas they have these HUGE signs on the highway that say "Left Lane for Passing only" and "Slower Traffic Keep Right". These signs actually seem to act as an invitation for Texans to ride slow in the left lane. Can you ticket these jackasses?

We don't have these signs in OK, and the problem is much less prevalent here. I can actually tell how close I am to Texas border by the number of ******** in the left lane. I'm dead serious.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Zombie Defense Force

I live in Texas and I want to run everyone off the road in the left lane who thinks it is ok to drive 55 in a ******* 60 mph. Then they get mad at me when I drive 6 inches off their bumper with my horn and lights flashing. Usually resulting in me jumping in the middle lane and passing them on the right. I think everyone is out to get me. Ya I would probably be classified as an aggressive driver...

Old 05-19-2010, 12:10 PM
2nd Gear

Why oh why is that in in VA if I get pulled over by a cop, I can have a gun, a semi automatic weapon and a giant knife all sitting on the dash and the cop will go, IS THAT A RADAR DECTER That's illegal!

Old 05-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mikekey
Why oh why is that in in VA if I get pulled over by a cop, I can have a gun, a semi automatic weapon and a giant knife all sitting on the dash and the cop will go, IS THAT A RADAR DECTER That's illegal!
Thats a good one, never understood what the deal was with that law

Old 05-19-2010, 12:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
I'll jump in with an actual question, too...

I've noticed that, more and more lately, when doing traffic stops, LEO's angle their front ends out a bit, when stopped behind the perp. I assume this is to provide a modicum of protection, shud some clueless-clyde drift off the edge and strike the cruiser it will (hopefully) deflect said moroon away from the ossifers tender bits. Is this new doctrine? Or, just a few using their hat-racks for more than just a place to keep their smokey-bear?
It's a safety issue. Ever puss a cart that the wheels are locked and can only go forward and back? Ever try and push that car sideways? A lot harder to move! It also adds a little more barrier between the vehicle hitting you. So yep if I wore a hat it would be used more for hats!

Originally Posted by SlackJaw
Okay, I got a couple...

In Texas they have these HUGE signs on the highway that say "Left Lane for Passing only" and "Slower Traffic Keep Right". These signs actually seem to act as an invitation for Texans to ride slow in the left lane. Can you ticket these jackasses?

We don't have these signs in OK, and the problem is much less prevalent here. I can actually tell how close I am to Texas border by the number of ******** in the left lane. I'm dead serious.
I couldn't find the exact law on it, but from reading it sounds like anything outside of "City Limits" it is illegal. It's a pet peeve of mine also. It's not illegal here but we do have "Slow traffic keep right" but they never do...

Your guess is as good as mine on this. I tried a search for the reasoning but mainly looks like they just don't want you to be able to tell when they are running radar.

On a side note I'm glad this thread is getting use!

Old 05-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Senior Administrator

In VA, radar detectors ARE illegal, but "open" carry of a side-arm (assualt-style weapons are excluded from "open" carry) is allowed, if I remember my Armed Security Registration training. I'm going to re-acquire my VA "armed" security registration, this summer. If I remember, I'll loop back and provide the answer.

For those that are wonderiing, yes, you can walk down teh street, in VA, with a handgun in a holster; hell, in your hand, for that matter, and be well within the law doing so. Not to say you won't get stopped and questioned, but you CAN do it! If you have a criminal record OF ANY KIND, or happen to be in the country illegally, I do not recommend you test VA constabulary on this one.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:31 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
For those that are wonderiing, yes, you can walk down teh street, in VA, with a handgun in a holster; hell, in your hand, for that matter, and be well within the law doing so. Not to say you won't get stopped and questioned, but you CAN do it! If you have a criminal record OF ANY KIND, or happen to be in the country illegally, I do not recommend you test VA constabulary on this one.
I have my CHP and also open carry, I hear it's a lot harder to open carry in the DC metero area, not DC itself, thats a whole other area.

No problems here. I open carry regularly and you do often get the questions from people who are mis-educated thanks to liberals who ask, are you a cop or do you have a permit for that gun. You don't need a permit to own or carry. However, should mention that any establishment has the right to BAR you from bringing a handgun on premise.

I don't advise going into a bank with a gun, but I often have to laugh that banks put up signs that say NO GUN's like that will stop a robber. Has a sign ever stopped anyone from breaking the law?

My radar comment was a joke, they are simply illegal because VA State Troopers thinks that it will increase speeding and getting away with it. They have a way of making all kinds of silly claims in the Va assembly. We are the only state that outlaws them. There was bill in Feb of this year to repeal that law, but I haven't heard of it since it went to the floor.

Just like the front plate law, it got challenged as a way to save the state millions in money, and the Senior State Trooper guy was ranting about how it's for Trooper safety. WTF? Explain how.

I have a great one for you, as I was recently reading about the differences of Sheriffs and Police in municipalities. It's my understanding that Sheriffs actually can over rid the Police who are employed by the municipality but Sheriffs are usually elected by the people to serve the people, even though law enforcement is sometimes given over to police.

Could you explain this relationship a little more? I heard about a Sheriff out in CA who took over an entire police dept because it was corrupt.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:22 PM
1st Gear

Just like the front plate law, it got challenged as a way to save the state millions in money, and the Senior State Trooper guy was ranting about how it's for Trooper safety. WTF? Explain how.

I have a great one for you, as I was recently reading about the differences of Sheriffs and Police in municipalities. It's my understanding that Sheriffs actually can over rid the Police who are employed by the municipality but Sheriffs are usually elected by the people to serve the people, even though law enforcement is sometimes given over to police.

Could you explain this relationship a little more? I heard about a Sheriff out in CA who took over an entire police dept because it was corrupt.
Front plate isn't really a safety issue. For a long time people have been "Brushing" cops or seeing how close they can get to scare a cop on the side of the road, 1st day learning traffic stops we were told to watch all approaching traffic, and read the 1st the of the plate just incase.

Basically everyone has the same authority over civilians. When it comes to who says what there is State police who have the whole state. then here we have counties and there is a sheriff and deputys for reach county. When a police dept. is investigated it is usually done by the sheriff. For example our neighboring pd has NEVER gotten along with the sheriff office. The sheriff basically wants the jurisdiction. There was a case brought against the chief of police and the sheriffs were the ones to investigate it. Needless to say the sheriff worked a one sided case yet the judge saw that and laughed the case out of court!!! Every state is a little different on how the State/Sheriff/Local work.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Zombie Defense Force

Just out of curiosity - why do you open carry?

I have my CHP and also open carry, I hear it's a lot harder to open carry in the DC metero area, not DC itself, thats a whole other area.

No problems here. I open carry regularly and you do often get the questions from people who are mis-educated thanks to liberals who ask, are you a cop or do you have a permit for that gun. You don't need a permit to own or carry. However, should mention that any establishment has the right to BAR you from bringing a handgun on premise.

I don't advise going into a bank with a gun, but I often have to laugh that banks put up signs that say NO GUN's like that will stop a robber. Has a sign ever stopped anyone from breaking the law?

Old 05-19-2010, 03:08 PM

Are cops allowed to search your trunk if they have pulled you over?

What happens if I refuse a search of the trunk?

If the cop wants to search my car and I refuse, can he use the "It smells like marijuana" bullshit as a reason. Can I not agree with this?