Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Ask a Cop

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Senior Administrator
Old 02-06-2012, 11:40 PM
1st Gear

if a car backfires alot or throws a flame upon downshifting is that reason to get pulled over? if so any idea what the penalty would be?

Old 02-07-2012, 10:01 PM
1st Gear

I'm from Canada and I used to travel over the border to the US before 9/11 to go wheeling, camping etc but since then most canadians look at the states as a totaltarian dictatorship almost. Many see these laws being placed in that allow people to be arrested and held indefinitely for suspicion of terrorism.

Can you clarify these laws? Is there any oversight? This kind of stuff makes me nervous, I havent been to the US since 9/11 for this reason. And I miss my wheeling down there lol.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:46 AM
1st Gear

I have a question for AAC...A while ago, I was traveling home from college (10 hour trip), and I used to use a radar detector. Anyway, I was driving across Michigan's Upper Peninsula (desolate place, beautiful wilderness, depending on your POV) and going through a small town. At the time I wasn't speeding, but I saw a cop, waiting. I tucked the detector under my seat, and as I was doing it, swerved over the line. They ended up pulling me over for crossing the yellow, and it turned into a search, because they found cellophane in my ashtray (full view, as I was a smoker at the time, and it was the cellophane from the top of the pack).

My question is, does that constitute probable cause? I initially refused the search, as I was only about 4 hours into my 10 hour drive, but then they made a comment about towing/impounding my car, and making me wait at the station 2 hours away. In this particular instance, extenuating circumstances probably dictated the officer's response (I had an idiot with me that couldn't keep his mouth shut). If there is probable cause, can they hold me if I refuse the search?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:13 AM
1st Gear

Another question for AAC...

Scenario:
  • Rural road through country with rolling hills on a dry sunny day with very light traffic and no other cars visible in front or behind my car.
  • I get pulled over by an officer from the local town for driving 52 mph in a 35 zone, and yes, I was probably going that fast.

The stop:
  • The officer was clearly angry looking when he got out of his patrol car and so before he even got to my door I had hands on the top of my steering wheel and my best "Yes Sir, no Sir, that is correct Sir" attitude going.
  • The first words out of the officer's mouth were, "Do you realize you were going seventeen miles per hour over the speed limit?"
  • "Yes Sir."
  • For the next two or three minutes while I assembled my license, registration, and insurance info, he continued to angrily carry on about me driving 17 mph over the limit.

Aftermath:
  • The stop was several weeks ago, and I can either plead guilt by mail and send them a check or I can go to court which I'm scheduled for next week.
  • I just took a good look at the ticket for the first time and see that I was cited for doing 17 mph in a 35 mph zone, yes, you read that correct, I was NOT written up for 52 in a 35, or even 17 over the 35 limit, but for travelling seventeen miles per hour in a thirty-five mile per hour zone.

The question:
  • I'm assuming I should go to court, but how should I plead?

Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 PM
4th Gear
Talking

Originally Posted by shipo
Another question for AAC...

Scenario:
  • Rural road through country with rolling hills on a dry sunny day with very light traffic and no other cars visible in front or behind my car.
  • I get pulled over by an officer from the local town for driving 52 mph in a 35 zone, and yes, I was probably going that fast.

The stop:
  • The officer was clearly angry looking when he got out of his patrol car and so before he even got to my door I had hands on the top of my steering wheel and my best "Yes Sir, no Sir, that is correct Sir" attitude going.
  • The first words out of the officer's mouth were, "Do you realize you were going seventeen miles per hour over the speed limit?"
  • "Yes Sir."
  • For the next two or three minutes while I assembled my license, registration, and insurance info, he continued to angrily carry on about me driving 17 mph over the limit.

Aftermath:
  • The stop was several weeks ago, and I can either plead guilt by mail and send them a check or I can go to court which I'm scheduled for next week.
  • I just took a good look at the ticket for the first time and see that I was cited for doing 17 mph in a 35 mph zone, yes, you read that correct, I was NOT written up for 52 in a 35, or even 17 over the 35 limit, but for travelling seventeen miles per hour in a thirty-five mile per hour zone.

The question:
  • I'm assuming I should go to court, but how should I plead?
Im Sorry this is just too Funny! I would go find that cop and show him the ticket and laugh!

Old 02-08-2012, 12:24 PM
1st Gear

Not sure how it works there but here if there are any errors on the ticket its not valid. For example my girlfriend got a ticket in her 1986 Peugot 505 for being parked on the street over night. Well we looked at the ticket and it asks for make model, etc. He wrote "1990ish Saab" We went to court and said I drive a Peugot 505, it says PEUGOT 505 on it. Ticket was dropped. Officer protested that he shouldnt have to know every model, my response "true but you should know how to read" Judge laughed and dropped it for us.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:18 PM
4th Gear

I tucked the detector under my seat
Why? They are only illegal in Virginia (and maybe DC I think).

As for the other story... go to court and plead guilty to doing 17 in a 35... HAha. Priceless!

Old 02-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
Why? They are only illegal in Virginia (and maybe DC I think).

As for the other story... go to court and plead guilty to doing 17 in a 35... HAha. Priceless!
I was thinking the exact same thing, for both of these (including misspelling "HA-Ha!". Are You stealing my thoughts, AGAIN?!?!?

Old 02-08-2012, 03:07 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the comments folks; I'll be sure to report back next week after the court appearance.