Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Ask a Cop

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 02:24 PM
1st Gear

Well crap I typed a huge reply and my internet cut out when I posted...

Long story short. Go to the PD ask to speak with a SGT or LT and have them explain why you were cited and not the other driver. Something something as simple as that a second pair of eyes looking it over can get them to maybe retract the cite. If what you said is true it should be the other driver cited. Also ask for a copy of the report and hope the officer took witness statements. IF NOT when you go to court you could have a hard time fighting it. Same with your insurance company

Old 06-22-2011, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

You touched on this earlier, but I have a K40 radar detector and laser jammer installed in my car. I researched and it said that it is illegal to "block" laser signals, but this just admits its own signal out near the front of the car that makes it impossible for the laser gun to read. Is this accurate or am I driving around with an illegal mod?

Old 06-22-2011, 04:30 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Hanl2353
You touched on this earlier, but I have a K40 radar detector and laser jammer installed in my car. I researched and it said that it is illegal to "block" laser signals, but this just admits its own signal out near the front of the car that makes it impossible for the laser gun to read. Is this accurate or am I driving around with an illegal mod?
You pretty much answered your own question. If it is making the gun not work you are "blocking" it.

Say I stand in the front of your work with a fire hose and as you come in I spray you with it, making it impossible for you to get in. You could say I'm blocking you from getting it...

Old 06-22-2011, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AskAcop
Well crap I typed a huge reply and my internet cut out when I posted...

Long story short. Go to the PD ask to speak with a SGT or LT and have them explain why you were cited and not the other driver. Something something as simple as that a second pair of eyes looking it over can get them to maybe retract the cite. If what you said is true it should be the other driver cited. Also ask for a copy of the report and hope the officer took witness statements. IF NOT when you go to court you could have a hard time fighting it. Same with your insurance company
The other guy was cited, for what I'm not sure. I got the report today and it only has my statement on it. There are no statements from the other driver or from the two witnesses who the officer spoke to. Does that make any sense? She took my statement as "V1 and V2 were traveling in lane 1 of <street name>. V2 driver (me) stated that V1 had his left turn signal on and then suddenly shifted into the right lane before making a U turn. V2 then collided with V1 in the intersection. Both drivers were issued citations."

Not as detailed as what I told her but I guess it's got the gist of it. My worry is that such a simplistic statement makes it seem as if I was following too closely (which I wasn't). I only got too close to stop because the other car came to a slow crawl in the right lane as if they were turning right, while I continued at a normal speed in the left lane.

Thanks

Old 06-23-2011, 10:49 AM
1st Gear

Not a question, but an amusing story depending on your point of view. Some years ago a soldier at Ft Huachuca AZ was given a ticket by one of Huachuca City's police officers. A few days later while testing a radar jammer on base, he noticed the police car on the side of the road so he aimed the radar jammer at the police car. This jammer had quite a lot of power so the net effect was that it fried the police radar with the attending smoke that caused the police officer to bail out from the car. Naturally, Huachuca City complained to the Army base, but given the classified nature of the systems, denied all knowledge.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by AskAcop
Say I stand in the front of your work with a fire hose and as you come in I spray you with it, making it impossible for you to get in. You could say I'm blocking you from getting it...

OR...

Providing a "refreshing" respite from the summer heat!

Dude is just "refreshing" the signal the receiver is getting, DUH!

Old 06-23-2011, 04:00 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
OR...

Providing a "refreshing" respite from the summer heat!

Dude is just "refreshing" the signal the receiver is getting, DUH!
Well said...

Old 06-24-2011, 11:07 PM
1st Gear

AskAcop,

I think I'm gonna go postal. I just found out the other driver only got an "improper turn at intersection" ticket. What about failure to yield to traffic, reckless driving, or even failure to control vehicle speed to avoid a collision. Simply unbelievable. Where is the justice?

Old 06-25-2011, 08:51 AM
1st Gear

That sounds about right. I still don't think you should have been cited. Failure to yield is used when someone pulls into traffic either drive another road or driveway, reckless is more used with street racing 26+ over the speed limit or multiple violations failure to control is more used in say a snow storm and the person slides into another car or off a roadway. Improper turn is what I would of cited with also. I'm guessing you talked with someone at the PD, what did they say about your cite?

Old 06-25-2011, 01:43 PM
1st Gear

I went by the station yesterday evening but there wasn't a supervisor I could speak to. I was told to go back later today once the ticketing officer's sgt is on duty. I hope this doesn't **** her off.