Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Ask a Cop

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Senior Administrator

Hey! Ask a Cop, honestly, should "shooters" be arrested & prosecuted?
http://gizmodo.com/5553765/are-cameras-the-new-guns

Old 06-25-2010, 04:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
Hey! Ask a Cop, honestly, should "shooters" be arrested & prosecuted?
http://gizmodo.com/5553765/are-cameras-the-new-guns
just chiming in that I can see where if a vid goes viral enough, it could be hard to put together a clean jury. Otherwise I tend to disagree. Unless it is the "Are you kidding?" guy from that one vid.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:32 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SlackJaw
Otherwise I tend to disagree.
although police will do well to expand upon the "dash cam", and develop a camera that will FOLLOW their movements in 360*...say a dome cam on top of the car, and a device they wear that are sync'd, so the camera follows.

THEN they can outlaw and prosecute third party "shooters"

Their problem is the media....as I understand it, the mainstream media only showed the punch, and not the 2 savages resisting arrest...

They NEED to control that ****, and I'm all for it...but they got to prove to dissenters that they got it covered.

For the particular instance with the punch, I think that cop would have been within his rights to shoot both them bitches non-fatally...and again, a wing-shot to the "Are you serious" guy would have been a bonus for me.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:54 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the site, Im not sure where I was looking initially but this is much simpler it answered all my questions in no time.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:01 PM
1st Gear
Default looks like I hit a nerve with the red light camera thing

I live in Portland, Or. where new red light cameras are popping up all the time. I have had my picture taken several times while going through a green light. Once I even got a ticket for going through a green light. They sent me a picture of me in middle of intersection, time or red light 0.00 seconds (because my light was green). I thought no big deal, just a mistake I'll call and get it dismissed. Could not get a hold of "issuing" officer so had to go to court. Talked to officer before hearing and he said I should just plea guilty for smaller fine, he seemed annoyed that I did not want to pay for going through green light. So I went before judge and said your honor I went through a green light and was issued this ticket by mistake, here's a picture to prove it. The officer said the camera was working properly and he was trained how to use it. I asked him if he had a picture of me in crosswalk or intersection when the light was red, he said no. The judge said guilty that will be $186.
Did I mention that the judge wasn't even listening to either one of us, he was looking on his computer, and talking to court clerk the whole time.
As you can probably imagine I'm a little skeptical about how much these cameras help anyone, except those lining there pockets.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mikeeboy82
I live in Portland, Or. where new red light cameras are popping up all the time. I have had my picture taken several times while going through a green light. Once I even got a ticket for going through a green light. They sent me a picture of me in middle of intersection, time or red light 0.00 seconds (because my light was green). I thought no big deal, just a mistake I'll call and get it dismissed. Could not get a hold of "issuing" officer so had to go to court. Talked to officer before hearing and he said I should just plea guilty for smaller fine, he seemed annoyed that I did not want to pay for going through green light. So I went before judge and said your honor I went through a green light and was issued this ticket by mistake, here's a picture to prove it. The officer said the camera was working properly and he was trained how to use it. I asked him if he had a picture of me in crosswalk or intersection when the light was red, he said no. The judge said guilty that will be $186.
Did I mention that the judge wasn't even listening to either one of us, he was looking on his computer, and talking to court clerk the whole time.
As you can probably imagine I'm a little skeptical about how much these cameras help anyone, except those lining there pockets.
jesus what a racket....sounds a lot like an experience I had in a Santa Monica court once

Old 08-23-2010, 07:42 PM

Here's one for ya... what's the deal with ground-effects/underbody lights being illegal? I don't have them on my Audi, but have on previous cars and have been cited in CA, AZ and LA for them. The did not blink or flash (unless I wanted them to, which I never did while driving). Each time, the officer citing me said lights on the outside of the vehicle that are not white for the front or red for the rear can be mistaken for an emergency vehicle. The lights I had were not red or blue (which I still have NEVER seen an emergency vehicle with ground effects). I always had them on green, yellow or white. Your opinion?

Old 08-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Tech Guru

^ A serious case of "We have nothing better to do/ We need money desperately."

Old 08-23-2010, 10:39 PM
2nd Gear

They are illegal and can be mistaken for emergency vehicles there are paid ambulances and other various vehicles in states that do run with green , yellow, white , blue and red.
In ny you can be sited for an light added to the outside of your vehicle that wouldn't come stock out of the factory. I do not know if that holds true where you are but I have been cited before in multiple vehicles. And have gone to court for it.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:29 AM
Senior Administrator

Generally, laws of that nature are in place because some people don't know when to quit and, sure as you're reading these words, someone'll mod their vehicle to mimic an emergency vehicle just for kicks, or to take advantage of regular people. You have to draw the line somewhere and, once drawn, you have to enforce it or people will try you. You prolly have nothing but innocent intent, but there is no way for a cop to know that. Rules ARE rules. Cross the line and you go down. 0.08 is the legal BAC limit, most places. Is 0.09 a chicken-schitt call? Yep! But, over the line IS over the line. Most laws have a legitimate reason for being. Just because YOU don't like it don't mean it ain't right.