Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Ask a Cop

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 12:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Ask a Cop

This thread is for questions regarding:

Accidents (what to do, what information do you need, who was at fault, hit and runs, etc.)
Being pulled over (what to do with your movements, how to act, what to have ready, what to say, etc)
Crime (larceny from auto, auto theft, assault, burglary, etc)
What it takes to become an officer (applying, academy, college, highschool, etc.)
...and many more general questions.

A few ground rules.

1- Keep in mind I will not have all the answers to every question. I am familiar with my states laws, every state will vary. Many of your questions can be easily found online and I will help you find those answers. To help if your state is not saved in your profile (shows up in top right when you post) please put it with your question so i can more easily look up your states laws.

2- My opinions, are exactly that, MY OPINIONS. They do not represent my department or other department's policies. Furthermore, my opinion does not represent the opinion of other officers.

3- Do not ask me about tactics or anything that could compromise the safety of other officers. IE I will not discuss how we approach a car, search a house, etc.

4- Please don't PM me your question unless it's very personal. If you ask me a question via E-Mail no one else will learn from it and it is likely I will have to answer this same question for another person.

5- If you are new to this thread please do your best to at least skim through it so I am not answering the same questions over and over. SEARCH is your friend.

6- They're out there. If someone posts anti police type posts, do not respond. The best thing to do is ignore them and stay on topic. Plenty of people aren't fond of the police and it is bound to happen. But please note when you joined this site you agreed to
By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of AudiForums.com reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but threats or harassment WILL NOT be tolerated. I am here to try and inform not to argue.

It is ok to share your bad/good experiences with police officer's here, but keep in mind we are all different and react to certain situations in our own way. I will gladly respond to how I feel about their actions, but bear in mind rule #2 above.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation and hopefully I can help you out!-AskAcop

Last edited by AskAcop; 05-16-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:34 PM
3rd Gear

Where can I find statutes and road laws for every city? Is this material available on the local city hall to any citizen?

Old 05-16-2010, 01:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Dan1969
Where can I find statutes and road laws for every city? Is this material available on the local city hall to any citizen?
Dan,
Most state laws can be found online or in a book. My state makes a new book every 6 moths with all updated and amended laws. Now specifically you are asking about local laws or more commonly known as "ordinance". Not all citys use them but most have at least a few "ordinance" that apply to their area but are not state law. You should be able to get a copy from the local city hall or the PD. They can't just have rules with out a rule book!

EDIT: Searched online for you home city and was able to locate this muni-codes. Found it straight from your city's website.

Last edited by AskAcop; 05-16-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Senior Administrator

I cannot speak for all the Admins & Mods but, I, for one, will be MUCH LESS TOLERANT of flames, hate-speak, anti-cop-ed-ness, and general @$$holery here, than I am in general.

Keep it clean(er than you do elsewhere on AF) and I promise not to delete your posts.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
I cannot speak for all the Admins & Mods but, I, for one, will be MUCH LESS TOLERANT of flames, hate-speak, anti-cop-ed-ness, and general @$$holery here, than I am in general.

Keep it clean(er than you do elsewhere on AF) and I promise not to delete your posts.
Name:  thumbs-up.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  43 Bytes

Old 05-17-2010, 11:04 PM
1st Gear

not to be personal but what state to you do police work in?

also, do police men still have quota's as rumor runs around?

Old 05-17-2010, 11:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Fast? How Fast?

Hello,
I have nothing but respect for Police Officers and what they do and i would like to thank you for serving the people.
Out of curiosity, whats the fastest you have ever clocked someone, and what were they driving? Thanks,
Michael

Old 05-18-2010, 08:18 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by timmay074
not to be personal but what state to you do police work in?
I have worked in multiple states in the mid-west.

Originally Posted by timmay074
also, do police men still have quota's as rumor runs around?
I wont say we have quota's. My dept. requires us to run traffic at one of many locations for a minimum time period. These areas are ares where residents have complained about speeders, reckless drivers, or other traffic related issues. We are not required to pull anyone over or make any stops. Believe it or not A LOT of areas don't even have their officers running speed. A city larger than where I work a know a Capt. and when I asked about them running speed I was told "We have more important things to do."

Old 05-18-2010, 08:24 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mfillhart#12
Hello,
I have nothing but respect for Police Officers and what they do and i would like to thank you for serving the people.
Out of curiosity, whats the fastest you have ever clocked someone, and what were they driving? Thanks,
Michael
Thanks Michael I'm just trying to pay my bills like everyone else!

Fastest I've locked in was 136 in a 45. Fox body mustang. Charged with speed, reckless op, and child endangerment for a kid in the car. You're in luck also just incase my buddys didn't believe me that I broke the dept. record, I snapped a pic on my phone!
Name:  IMG00054-20090925-1953.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  63.3 KB

Old 05-18-2010, 11:46 AM
4th Gear

If i get a ticket for no front plate and have it in the car can they still write a ticket. It was in my windshield and the cop said it had to be in the most upfront part of the car.