Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

army reserves

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: army reserves

Take that $2,600.00/mo & divide it by 30. That'll be your "daily" pay, sorta. A reserve day is broken into 2 sections. Morning & afternoon, basically. You'll get 1 day's pay for each half-day of drill (the weekend thing). So, for a drill weekend you'll get 4 days pay, MINUS taxes (that part extra sucks, but, what're ya gonna do?) On your 2-week "summer camp" (not always in teh summer, but 90% of teh time it is, so...) you'll get a days pay for each calendar day. So, $2,600.00 divided by 30 times 14, MINUS taxes.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:51 PM
4th Gear

Or you can just look at the drill pay scale. SMH

Old 11-07-2007, 09:13 PM
4th Gear

thanks for the input guys... definitely a big decision on my hands

Old 11-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Senior Administrator

regardless of what ANYbody ways, what you get OUTTA a Military career is directly proportional to whatYOU put INTO it. But, what you GAIN in character, personal pride, and teh knowledge that, yeah, you COULD make a head-shot from 400meters... PRICELESS!!!

Seriously, it's not a game, anymore. Joining COULD mean you die, or will be maimed for life, much more than it ever has in over almost a generation and a half. It is NOT for everybody, but, I believe EVERYBODY (Men & Women) should serve, in some capacity, unless physically or mentally unable to do so.

If you want someone to actually talk to, who has served, PM me and I'll share my celly# and you're welcome to call me ANYtime, day or night, 24/7.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:04 AM
4th Gear

pssh 400m...child'splay. Yea the chance of death or loss of limb is greater but I'm sure it wasn't as bad as WWII. Isn't that right Jazz, how was it by the way?

Old 11-08-2007, 12:05 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: Trey25

pssh 400m...child'splay. Yea the chance of death or loss of limb is greater but I'm sure it wasn't as bad as WWII. Isn't that right Jazz, how was it by the way?
I lol'd.[8D]

Old 11-08-2007, 12:21 AM
2nd Gear

u kidding?? jazz fought in WWI...lol..
i wanted to sign up but im affraid that language would be an issue .. portuguese is my first linguo

Old 11-08-2007, 06:32 AM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: Amze

ORIGINAL: Trey25

I lol'd.[8D]
Mee 2oo

Trey know the real deal. Even if he is being funny. 400m is about 1/4 mile (for those that can't do the math in their heads), and a head-shot is easy with a sniper-rifle, a scope, and some training. With a standard issue squad-weapon, not so easy. Less so if rounds are being fired back AT you.

I'm 44. Did my boot 22 years ago. WWII was PURE HELL, man, bodies EVERYWHERE!!! Andm the GErmans! It's like they din't even want us to invade... You young whipper-snappers...

a4BRZ, trust me, you won't be any less or better understood than 80% of those already in.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:02 AM
2nd Gear

TTkid,

Unless you want to pursue a law enforcement career in the civilian world I do not recommend that you become and MP. I am currently serving a second tour in Iraq and MP ops (detainee ops) is not something most people WANT to do. I have not yet had the opportunity to have a "cocktail" thrown on me yet, but a few guys here have and I'll take their word for it that it isn't enjoyable.

Starting in '97, I was a member of a Corps Support Battalion. That mission was focused primarily on logistics to supply the forward lines with everything they needed. We had transportation companies, quartermaster companies (laundry and bath, supply, etc), ordnance companies, water supply, petroleum supply, etc, etc. I had a lot of good fun during these years and at the lower ranks (E-1 through E-4). After 9/11 and 6 years of reserve service my CSB was deployed to Afghanistan. The toughest part of this job/location was being away from the Amercan way of life, friends, and family.

Shortly after returning home as an E-5 with "combat experience," nearing the end of my initial contract, I moved to NC and re-enlisted with a Military Police Battalion. At first I thought, "gee whiz, this'll be fun!" I was absolutely wrong. Not to deface or speak badly about the Army, or the MP Corps, but this is not the environment I grew up in. The MP way of life is not as friendly as the rest of the Army. This type of job attracts people with Alpha type personalities, which in turn means a lot of hard-headedness and testosterone. Much different than my experiences with the CSB in regards to open-minded logical though processes, these guys are so bull-headed that they will continue doing something the hard way just because they are in charge. Now, not everyone is so close-minded with their blinders on, but unfortunately the people that have the final say are. There is absolutely no reasoning with them, regardless of the individuals experience and the logic used in their thought process. Ok, that rant should emphasize my point enough.

Again, unless you really truly seek a future in law enforcement, I do not recommend joining Military Police.

As for being a mechanic. Working on wheeled vehicles is a lot of fun...for KBR. In case you didn't know the Army has a big contract with a Texas based company called Kellog Brown and Root. This contract allows civilians to come to the "war" and support our military. This is good and bad depending on your views. Now, for a mechanic that pretty much nullifies your function as most maintenance positions or facilities are run by KBR. So guess what that means? You'll most likely be driving on the road in convoys, possibly a gunner, or even working with detainee ops! Fun, eh? NOT.

Now that I have all this negativity out on the table I will tell you how great the Army is, regardless of who is controlling our puppet strings. The Army is a wonderful and righteous community. Someone noted above that you will get back what you put into the military and this is totally correct. If you learn and live the Army Values and truly appreciate them then you will on your way to a great career. Once you become an NCO you will then have the great responsibility of teaching and mentoring the troop that you once were. Without NCOs our military would be just the same as the rest of the world; weak. As an NCO you will have great responsibility; use it wisely. Keep training exciting and on the cutting edge, otherwise your troops will get bored and forget that the Army can be fun.

Respect the officers and they will respect you. Know that they have a job and so do you. Keep in mind though, that they are human too and there are ways to create good relationships with them while maintaining professionalism. Don't let an officer get in the way of getting your job done.

The ASVAB is a test/evaluation on who you are and what you have to offer the military. All the recruiter cares about is whether or not you pass.I think its 35 or 52 to pass or something retarded like that; literally retarded. Once you do that the recruiter will say, "you have these options in this area." The larger your area the more options you will have. If there is a specific job you are looking for then go for it, don't settle for anything less. Personally I'd recommend infantry, artillery, cavalry (all three very thrilling, but you'd need to join the National Guard or go Active Duty), intelligence (always something going on and great for your resume), rotary wing mechanic (this could create options for warrant officer in aviation; pilot), or aviation crew chief (blackhawk or chinook; medevac or transport). Those are my choices/recommendations, but ultimately it is up to you. Make sure you get it in the contract and in writing! Again, DO NOT SETTLE FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN WHAT YOU WANT!

In the end, this all comes down to whether or not you will remain committed to your initial choice. I knew a lot of people that quit after their first contract, or stopped coming to drills, or after deployment said screw this because it interfered with their "plan" and "personal goals" If your plan does not include the possibility...no, surity that you will be deployed and "lose" at least ayear of your life then do not join. If you want to sacrifice your life, possibly literally, for your loved ones, fellow Americans, and peers, then I say join up. If you are married and have kids, I don't recommend joining. That makes the commitment level go waaaaay down. "Do you have to go back? I don't want you to go. Can't you just stay with me? Why do you love the Army so much? Do you love me as much as the Army?" Nag, nag, nag! Keep in mind though, that if you join the Army first you can always say, "I am a Soldier. The Army is part of my life. Take it or leave it." If you start the ladies off like that first then you can always fall back on that. If they don't like it, tough nails. There will be one that stays eventually, and that is the one that is worth it.

Blah, blah, blah...did I leave anything out? Probably. I hope some of this helps and I have answered a few questions. Good luck with whatever decision you make! Keep your head up, or down considering your situation, but stay true!

Loyalty
Duty
Respect
Selfless-Service
Honor
Integrity
Personal Courage

SSG E

P.S. Only Jesus is perfect!

**edited for spelling

Old 11-08-2007, 10:16 AM

Couldn't help you with that Army stuff........................maybe if you wanted to know about the corps I could tell you... Anyways the military the real deal you work hard but we play hard too you know what I mean? It is a great choice for anyone who is up to it and willing to do it, once you make the choice you better not second guessing it or you will lose that initial edge that you started with.

Quick Reply: army reserves