Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

anyone know anything about patents?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:17 PM

Good luck man. I invented that all in one pasta strainer thing when i was like 8 years old but no one would help me patent it. I could've made millions... lol

Old 10-01-2008, 03:10 PM
1st Gear

okay... timestamping (poorman's copyright) works in the long run, but it won't be official enough to prevent someone else from stealing your idea... you can do all the design drawings and detail the full production process in writing, then copyright the documentation ($45) in the meantime until you can obtain the proper funding to pull for a patent. also, if you have a portfolio put together well enough, you can present proposals to investment firms or holdings companies in hopes to obtain financial backing...

Old 10-01-2008, 09:04 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Originally Posted by DCVING
Careful using your work's software... I've heard a lot of companies "legally own" anything created while using their software, hardware, etc... even if it's not related to your work or their company. You might want to look into getting your own copy of Solidworks if that's what you're comfortable using.

If you haven't come accross this yet, maybe you'll find it helpful: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/

Good luck!
You know, I've heard that before and it totally slipped my mind. We have a designer contracted out to work for us for a bit; I'm going to sketch this stuff up and have him make models and drawings for me. We're pretty cool so I can't see him charging me much, if anything at all. I'm going to make sure I've got this thing mailed to me first though.

I'm definitely looking into that website as well.

n00b: it's too bad no one takes 8 year olds seriously. That's a drag.

eights: my plan is to present this elsewhere to get the backing for this. I'm an ME working in a manufacturing company so I've got a pretty good idea how to build this and keep it cost effective. I just don't have the cash to make it happen just yet. Soon...

Last edited by love the booB5; 10-01-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:40 AM
SoCal Crew Member

I just built a working prototype. I need to refine a few things and look into replacing some of the pricier parts, but this thing definitely works though. Time for me to time-stamp it. Next, I'll start researching ways to cut down on my outsourced parts or ways to make them myself.

It's a good day. Time to get drunk in celebration.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:56 AM
5th Gear

Is it beer related? I really hope so. Some way to get the beer from the fridge to my mouth with minimal effort.

And fortune cookies are always incomplete, you're supposed to add 'in bed' to the end. They become much more clear.
a financial investment will yield returns beyond your wildest hopes in bed.
Good luck with the patent, give us some teaser pics or something once you think its safe.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:02 AM
SoCal Crew Member

Originally Posted by achTTung
Is it beer related? I really hope so. Some way to get the beer from the fridge to my mouth with minimal effort.

And fortune cookies are always incomplete, you're supposed to add 'in bed' to the end. They become much more clear.

Good luck with the patent, give us some teaser pics or something once you think its safe.
Good to see you're back after your one day hiatus.

My idea definitely isn't beer related, but I do brew some pretty damn good beer when I can so don't be surprised if you see a beer labeled with the goofy grin in my avatar in a liquor store someday.

As for the in bed to fortune cookies, that makes it sound like I'm picking up a high end hooker. Not quite what I'm going for, but if this works out... well... who wants to take a trip to Amsterdam?

I'll toss up some pics when I can, but I don't see myself procuring a solid patent for a little while. If (read: when) I do, I'll post a bit of info to show you guys what I've been up to. Some of you will get it, others will find a way to let some of that hate out of your hearts. The only thing I'm concerned about is making enough money to not have to work anymore.
I'm not a very patient person though, so I'm going to do everything I can to accelerate this.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

Originally Posted by love the booB5
Has anyone gone through this process before? Any tips? Any input is appreciated.
NO, but maybe you should PM me the details of your invention!

Old 10-04-2008, 03:14 PM
SoCal Crew Member

^^ Tell you what... When I go to time stamp this thing, I'll just mail everything to you. Prototypes, drawings, plans for modifications, processes... everything. Sound good?

Old 10-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

Originally Posted by love the booB5
^^ Tell you what... When I go to time stamp this thing, I'll just mail everything to you. Prototypes, drawings, plans for modifications, processes... everything. Sound good?
that's perfect. and i'll just charge you a minimal fee, being an audiforum guy and all.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:27 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Originally Posted by S4sweetee
that's perfect. and i'll just charge you a minimal fee, being an audiforum guy and all.
Woman, you are ridiculous.

Quick Reply: anyone know anything about patents?