Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

anyone know anything about patents?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 08:29 PM
5th Gear

ya you need to patent it before anybody else does. you can have plenty of ideas but you can't patent an idea. make sure you take detailed notes of what you're doing using camcorder, voice recording, notes, journals, etc. next thing is make sure you solidworks is a legit copy or you could be in deep ****. call up a patent attorney and ask him wut he would do lol. sometimes they're nice enough to let you in on a little bit

Old 09-30-2008, 09:27 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by love the booB5
I understand that shows proof of conception of the idea, but it's not a patent that will hold up in court. If someone else patents it before I do and I try to say I had the idea before they did, my case is pretty much dead right? I just don't see this as a full protection of my idea.
It's not protection of the idea.It's protection from some one stealing the idea.That's only if they would have the way to do so.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:54 PM
2nd Gear

You still have to get the patent, but the idea of the envelope is so if anybody else questions your patent (which takes a while to process), you'll have proof that you came up with the idea before someone else (hopefully). It's basically used just to dispute patents which in most cases never comes up.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:55 PM
4th Gear

solidworks eh? i have the program and a way for you to get it on your home comp if you dont already have it, so you can put all your extra time and effort into this, sounds like your really onto something haha... i would ask but there is an obvious answer to that...

as for patents, its already been told... so good luck man!! keep us updated

Old 10-01-2008, 01:15 AM
SoCal Crew Member

Oh I have solidworks but I'm going to use the copy I have at work. I can stick around for a little while after hours and put this stuff together. If I get some hand sketches together before hand I can model this thing up in no time at all. If that poses any kind of work-related problem, I can draft up these drawings by hand fairly easily too.

Just so everyone knows, I'm not solving the energy crisis or anything Nobel worthy here, but I am working towards a product that has a VERY wide customer base if marketed correctly.

I'll post updates as they come.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:17 AM
4th Gear

^good luck big guy! hope it works out, and if you get rich, wanna fund my big turbo? haha

Old 10-01-2008, 01:29 AM
SoCal Crew Member

Man, if I get rich, I'm going to have a LOT of partying to do before I think about anything else. Lets see if this gets me there first. You'll know if I make it... I'll have a brand new R8 GT3 in my sig...

Old 10-01-2008, 01:32 AM
4th Gear

ill also know cause ill have a gt3076 in my doorway and an unknown reason

Old 10-01-2008, 12:07 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Sure thing. I'll send it to the address you have listed in your avatar.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:50 PM

Careful using your work's software... I've heard a lot of companies "legally own" anything created while using their software, hardware, etc... even if it's not related to your work or their company. You might want to look into getting your own copy of Solidworks if that's what you're comfortable using.

If you haven't come accross this yet, maybe you'll find it helpful: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/

Good luck!

Quick Reply: anyone know anything about patents?