Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Anyone know anything about Land Rover Discoverys?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 07:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Anyone know anything about Land Rover Discoverys?

so i pretty much made up my mind about the Land Rover. wishing i had another 4 k though, there is a really nice s4 for pretty cheap near me but no cashh... but i was wondering if anyone can tell me if there were any big body changes from the 2000 land rover to the 2004 besides the head lights?

Old 11-01-2005, 08:10 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Anyone know anything about Land Rover Discoverys?

ORIGINAL: betz470

so i pretty much made up my mind about the Land Rover. wishing i had another 4 k though, there is a really nice s4 for pretty cheap near me but no cashh... but i was wondering if anyone can tell me if there were any big body changes from the 2000 land rover to the 2004 besides the head lights?
I had an old Defender back home that was nay on indestructible. We drove it through rivers, ponds, jumped it over grass ditches, crawled it through 3 foot of mud, climbed sand dunes, and took it into the sea. We even rolled it onto its side without any significant damage!

My wife had a 2002 Discovery, and now she has a 2004 Range Rover.

The 2004 update was significant. It wasn't just cosmetic. I can't remember all of them but there were something like 200 plus changes, and after driving it it did drive somewhat smoother, especially on the freeway. Go to Edmunds etc to look them up. Make sure you get a 2000 or later as pre-1999 suffered numerous electrical problems due to the crappy Lucas system. The Bosch system rectified those problems.

IMHO the 2002/2003 models were the very best (with the suede and wood interiors). However the new LR3 beats it hands down in every segment bar looks. The LR3 looks like poop! (but is still an awesome truck) Good luck.

Old 11-01-2005, 08:36 PM
3rd Gear

My sis has a new V8 LR3.. An awesome bit of kit. I love it! I reckon it looks the mutts nuts. Granted, it doesn't have the rugged look of the older one, but boy does it look like nothing else, (except the rang rover, and to an extent, the Freelander). Great car.

Old 11-01-2005, 08:40 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Toff_the_Toffee

My sis has a new V8 LR3.. An awesome bit of kit. I love it! I reckon it looks the mutts nuts. Granted, it doesn't have the rugged look of the older one, but boy does it look like nothing else, (except the rang rover, and to an extent, the Freelander). Great car.
If only they could do:
LR3 everything + 2004 exterior = Best freakin' SUV ever!!!

Old 11-01-2005, 09:11 PM
3rd Gear

You can spot the class either way though.. Put one next to an explorer, or durango, etc, and I know what looks infinitly better!

Old 11-01-2005, 09:19 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Toff_the_Toffee

You can spot the class either way though.. Put one next to an explorer, or durango, etc, and I know what looks infinitly better!
Undoubtedly. The only others that come to mind are Lexus GX/LX series. Great trucks but without the character or heritage.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:08 PM
2nd Gear

American cars are not known for class.

Some can end up classy, but that's pretty much by dumb luck.

97 defender... woot.

I wish they would bring that back here in the states.

Old 11-02-2005, 03:46 AM
4th Gear

one word. FORD.

Old 11-02-2005, 08:14 AM
3rd Gear

What is that word meant to mean in relation to the thread? That ford SUV's are classier than Land rovers?

Old 11-02-2005, 12:11 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Grouse

97 defender... woot.

I wish they would bring that back here in the states.
I saw one still going for 40K at the LR dealership.

Rumor has it that a new Defender is in the making, and if so, it will probably see a U.S. release?

Quick Reply: Anyone know anything about Land Rover Discoverys?