Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Anyone on here running Linux?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 04:56 PM
2nd Gear
Default Anyone on here running Linux?

Hey everyone, I'm new to Linux and need any and all advice on optimizing the setup I have.

The build I just made is a Linux based "pocket system" called Slax. It is a condensed version of Linux, designed to run off of small media IE a USB drive. I created the build successfully and got it installed to the USB key, updated the MBR to make the BIOS recognize the drive as bootable media on startup and all is well. After some tinkering, I finally got the internet up and running and Firefox is working smooth as ever, but now I've encountered a new problem. Some aspects of the internet, as I'm sure all of you know, require things like Adobe Flash Player or Shockwave Player to run or view correctly, but I can't seem to figure out a way to add these to my build. If anyone on here has some proficiency in Linux or Slax and can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

I am also posting this question on a Slax-specific forum so I can get multiple feedback and opinions.

Thanks in advance

Old 12-05-2009, 06:52 PM
2nd Gear

To answer the post question, yes. Ubuntu, but beyond that I can't help you. I am mostly fiddling with it, I spent 3 months trying to get my Hackintosh to work 100% and decided to just load lunix on the thing.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:38 PM
2nd Gear

Hah. Hackintosh. That's awesome. Yea, I'm doing the same thing, just fiddling with the Linux platforms so that when I get the Windows7 upgrade (cuz Vista seriously blows) I can be proficient enough in the platform to do a split partition to have my laptop be able to boot to one or the other so I'm using this pocket version to get the hang of things and work out all the kinks such as the adobe issues.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Win7 is sweet. Unfortunately my Linux knowledge is limited to the command line, so i won't be much help here :\

Old 12-07-2009, 12:56 PM
2nd Gear

Huh. Well thanks for the reply anyway, what extent of the command line are you talking about? Like, can you just do basic navigation and commands with it or do you have a relatively deep exposure to it? Cuz I've had another issue come up I could use some guidance on. I implemented a new module to help with some networking issues (the core network manager doesn't have WPA/WPA2 security support so I can't connect to a couple networks that use WPA for the encryption) and either the module was poorly written or I'm too much of a nub to root out the issue, but it keeps saying access is denied to the Dbus because of security conflicts in the configuration file. Basically, the issue I'm having is finding that config file, I think if I could find that, I could sift through the code and find a way to change the ownership issues, but I have no clue where its at, I browsed through all the core files and nothing jumped out at me as being a config file...