Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Anyone have this phone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 12:16 AM
Administrator
Default Anyone have this phone?

HP ipaq hw6515

Just bought one, waiting for it to arrive at my house.. was wondering if anyone had personal reviews of it.. or if anyone else has one, and what they think

Old 07-09-2006, 12:20 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Anyone have this phone?

blah, I hate PALMS/Phones

to huge for my taste, Ill stick with my V710

Old 07-09-2006, 12:20 AM
1st Gear

Yeah, my wife has had one of those for a six months now, uses in her bussiness. Let me go find her, and she'll type in what she thinks of it so far...

Old 07-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Administrator

ok thanks!!

Old 07-09-2006, 01:05 AM
1st Gear

Hello Mr. Goat,

Mrs. Flight here

I have the iPaq 6500 that I purchased about 6 months ago for work - needed access to email, etc., when not connected to my laptop. I decided on the HP for a couple of reasons - I'd already been used to an HP PDA so the learning curve was minimal; a business partner had the Trio and had already had two replacements; my other business partner had already had a Trio that he traded in for a Blackberry because of problems with the Trio. I knew I didn't want a Trio, so had to decide between the Blackberry and iPaq. Per the various sales guys I talked to, they all said the HP phone was superior to the Trio and Blackberry ~ which was important to me because of the amount of time I spend on the road. I wasn't sure I liked the Blackberry "spinning" wheel to access info and was already used to the HP PDA touch screen - it also fit my hand better then the Blackberry.

So how do I like it ~ well, it isn't just your simple, basic cell phone. It's harder to auto-dial on the fly (while driving ) and I'm not sure if it's the Cingular service in our area, but I do have dropped calls in areas where I didn't before and that can be frustrating. Having access to email, contact lists, reminder notes, being able to check-in to flights, etc. is FANTASTIC!! I did have a problem about 4 months after purchase when it just "died" ~ no screen, no phone, no internet . . . nothing! Because it was under warranty, they replaced the phone and I was advised not to leave it in the desk re-charger unit 24-7 - which I had a tendency to do when I was in my home office working. The techs weren't sure if that was caused the problem, but suggested I only charge it when the battery is low. Since then, I haven't had any problems. I still get a split screen sometimes, but it doesn't seem to affect the use of the device. From time to time it totally locks up (this seems to be when I'm in a "roaming" area) and I have to do a soft-reset ~ I'm not sure what causes the lock-up, but it could be a result of user error and my pushing too many buttons too fast. Right now, my laptop is "in the shop" and I don't know what I'd do without my iPaq - in essence, it has everything I need in pinch!

Hope this helps. (By the way - I did have to have help from our IT department to get it sync'ed with my laptop because I couldn't figure it out myself or with the help of the Cingular support). If you run into questions further on down the road, PM or email my husband and perhaps I'll be able to help! Enjoy!!

ORIGINAL: Redgoat

ok thanks!!

Old 07-09-2006, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Wow, thanks Mrs Flight I am pretty excited about this phone.. your review was great!

Old 07-09-2006, 01:40 AM
1st Gear

You bet

ORIGINAL: Redgoat

Wow, thanks Mrs Flight I am pretty excited about this phone.. your review was great!

Old 07-09-2006, 01:54 AM
5th Gear

i have a blackberry for work, my uncle uses an ipaq, and my best friend has a trio...i spend a lot of time playing with all three and i definitely think the ipaq is superior...trio sucks. period. they released it way too soon and they have way too many bugs/other problems. the blackberry is nice but is starting to become a little outdated, and the wheel thing as the main function can get annoying...the only complaint i have about the ipaq is that it is a little confusing at first (but then again, so was the blackberry, and the trio still confuses me every time i use it to this day)...other than that its awesome. completely integrateable (is that a word?), and the OS is much more similar to windows than the trio or blackberry. seems like every week you're getting a new electronic toy, red

Old 07-09-2006, 02:37 AM
Administrator

yeah.. seriously.. i need help.. i cant stop buying toys.. every 6-9 months i have to get a new phone, the old one just gets outdated.. its unreal on the amount of money I spend on phones.

Old 07-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Senior Administrator

Next time, if I were you, I'd ask for a review PRIOR to purchasing a new toy. Just me, tho. I know how impetous Goats can be

Quick Reply: Anyone have this phone?