Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Anyone a bartender here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 06:24 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Anyone a bartender here?

ORIGINAL: apg96

like the guy at everyones shp that does all the work noone wants to do and the only thing that gets him thru is teh chance to do what those guys do. Like that?
you don't have to try and make analogies..a bar back isn't hard to define...like someone said they're the ones that clean up all the glasses and crap around the bar...all the bartenders do is mix the drinks and serve them...it's not that difficult..but just cause ure a bar back you're necessarily gonna automatically become a bartender when you're 21...

i have two really good friends who are bartenders...i think it depends on the bar but some require you to go to bartending school...while others will just teach you when you get hired with no experience...one of my friends got hired just got some customers thought she was hot when she just walked in there so the owner hired her...she says it's fun...she drinks with them and talks with them and the pay isn't too bad...the other one just learned bartending on her own and works at a bar but she says the pay sucks cause the owner is a shady **** and keeps some of their tips...so i guess it depends on what bar you work at if the pay is good or not...i hear some place you have to drink of a customer offers to buy u a drink...other places say that you can't drink while bartending....

Old 08-09-2005, 06:43 PM

I was a barback starting my senior year of H.S. and freshman year of college. I worked thurs. fri. sat. nights at an awesome bar and made $500-$600 for those 3 nights. It was hard work but fun.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Senior Administrator

I din't bartend (well, not o-fish-ally), myself, but I was night-manager for a couple of different clubs, while stationed overseas. Barback is sucky work, BUT, if it's a cool/hoppin bar you'll learn a LOT about bartending while you're there. Schools can teach you teh basics but working will teach you what you NEED to know about LIFE. That said... You might still wanna consider taking bartending classes, even if NOT required for your area (some require it to be licensed as a bartended/some don't even require bartenders to be licensed).

I HATE to sound parental but, like Jukeit said, keep your focus on your studies, first and foremost <end lecture>

<big brother hat donned> Remember, those are grown folk. DRUNK grown folk. They will USUALLY be cool, but not ALWAYS. Don't let yourself be influenced into doing something STOOPID!!! Drinking & drivin, for instance.

In teh clubs I managed our back made minimum wage plus whatever the keeps wanted to share out of THEIR tips, so the did OK, I guess. We only had ONE keep who was a big, giant Richard. The backs only did teh minimum for his end of teh bar when he worked. We had one old keep who made almost $1000.00 in tips on a Friday or aturday night, he'd drop a couple C's for teh barbacks to split. His end STAYED clean... Go figure.

Each bar/pub is different. If you want peace pick a peaceful bar. You want $$$, pick a place that JUMPS 3-4 night a week. But you'll bust your @ss to earn those $$$

Good luck!

Old 08-09-2005, 07:48 PM

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

I din't bartend (well, not o-fish-ally), myself, but I was night-manager for a couple of different clubs, while stationed overseas. Barback is sucky work, BUT, if it's a cool/hoppin bar you'll learn a LOT about bartending while you're there. Schools can teach you teh basics but working will teach you what you NEED to know about LIFE. That said... You might still wanna consider taking bartending classes, even if NOT required for your area (some require it to be licensed as a bartended/some don't even require bartenders to be licensed).

I HATE to sound parental but, like Jukeit said, keep your focus on your studies, first and foremost <end lecture>

<big brother hat donned> Remember, those are grown folk. DRUNK grown folk. They will USUALLY be cool, but not ALWAYS. Don't let yourself be influenced into doing something STOOPID!!! Drinking & drivin, for instance.

In teh clubs I managed our back made minimum wage plus whatever the keeps wanted to share out of THEIR tips, so the did OK, I guess. We only had ONE keep who was a big, giant Richard. The backs only did teh minimum for his end of teh bar when he worked. We had one old keep who made almost $1000.00 in tips on a Friday or aturday night, he'd drop a couple C's for teh barbacks to split. His end STAYED clean... Go figure.

Each bar/pub is different. If you want peace pick a peaceful bar. You want $$$, pick a place that JUMPS 3-4 night a week. But you'll bust your @ss to earn those $$$

Good luck!

Hits nail on head! Well put.

Old 08-09-2005, 10:42 PM
2nd Gear

yeah thanks a lot for all of that. i got some time to think about the move, i'll be 18 come november. i have a fine office job making 10 an hr, and probaly 11-12 starting december, so i gotta think this all thru.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:21 PM
Administrator

best of luck to you even if you decide to keep your office job.. remember what your long term goals are.. and that office job vs barback is going to be on your resume some day

Old 08-09-2005, 11:30 PM

i've always heard that bartending is a great way to meet people(chicks), so i say go for it.. even if you don't stick with it very long... it could be worth it.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Administrator

good point.. just be careful in your meeting chicks.. remember that they are over 21 and will want to go out to places that you probably cant.. being that your 21.. but at least you will know the scene and how it works by the time you reach legal drinking age

Old 08-10-2005, 01:07 AM
3rd Gear

i know people that tend..and they make a pretty chunk of tax free change on a good weekend...enuf to chip my car.....hmm..possible college job....

--E

Old 08-10-2005, 01:09 AM

gotta find a new way to support the habit, eh?

Quick Reply: Anyone a bartender here?