Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Any computer savvy people here that can help me out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 04:59 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Any computer savvy people here that can help me out?

Anyone online RIGHT now to help me?! over the phone? ANYTHING!

ok check this out...

I decided to try AGAIN....
I plugged in the external monitor and then a USB keyboard....VOILA! the damn thing worked...
I can see what was happening on the LCD and the external monitor...
Problem is this:

When it comes up to the screen wehre I type my password in.....The external monitor shuts off and so does the keyboard.. This only leaves me with the cracked screen wehre I cant see where to click and a broken keyboard.....

Can i get around this?
ANYONE online tonite know how to do this?
Maybe even tomorrow night? lol

I dont want anyone like going through my laptop because I have personal pics and such so this is why I keep trying. I am also going to purchase that external harddrive USB thingy but waiting for ebay

All help is appreciated!

Old 01-18-2024, 10:39 AM
1st Gear

I understand your concern about retrieving important documents and pictures from your laptop with a busted screen. Given the situation, here are some steps you can take to recover your data:
Use an External Monitor:
Ensure that the external monitor is functioning correctly.
Connect the external monitor to your laptop and power it on.
Check the display settings on your laptop to ensure it's set to extend or duplicate the display onto the external monitor.
Toggle Display Settings:
If the external monitor doesn't automatically display, try pressing the designated function key on your laptop to toggle between displays. Typically, it's a combination of the "Fn" key and one of the function keys with a monitor icon.
Use a USB to SATA/IDE Adapter:
If the external monitor doesn't work, you can remove the hard drive from your laptop.
Use a USB to SATA/IDE adapter to connect your laptop hard drive to another computer.
Once connected, you should be able to access your files and copy them to another storage device. Consider using USBoNET, it seems to be a tool for USB over Ethernet functionality. While it might not directly address your current laptop issue, it could be a valuable tool for remote collaboration and USB device management in the future.