Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Answer a question & Ask any question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 06:14 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Answer a question & Ask any question?

a. k, i just had this conversation w/ one of the "unhappily arranged marriage" guys i work with. he married soley to make his family happy. he didn't want to let his family down. i can't understand it myself and i hope he breaks that tradition with his daughter....but highly doubtful. watch the movie "a fond kiss"...good for this subject
q. why do some cultures make the family pay a dowry to wed?

Old 11-16-2005, 06:23 PM
2nd Gear

a. not sure but i always wondered that too...a friend of mine who is white was supposed to pay his wifes family to marry her but the family didn't make him do it. she's cambodian btw.
q. pleasing the elders is a big part of the tradition. why can't the elders understand that we do things a certain way because thats the way we want to do it and we aren't doing it to defy them?

Old 11-16-2005, 08:28 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: sadize

a. k, i just had this conversation w/ one of the "unhappily arranged marriage" guys i work with. he married soley to make his family happy. he didn't want to let his family down. i can't understand it myself and i hope he breaks that tradition with his daughter....but highly doubtful. watch the movie "a fond kiss"...good for this subject
q. why do some cultures make the family pay a dowry to wed?
The dowery thing evolved because a daughter was seen as an asset...and was leaving a family where she contributed skills/labor too. So the family she was leaving had to be compensated for the loss. The husband's family was expected to pay becuase they now were going to get the benefit of the skill/labor of the new wife.

Kind of a semi-property deal and kind of a value transaction. Talk about lack of equality between the sexes...

Old 11-16-2005, 10:06 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: SlowWagon08

a. not sure but i always wondered that too...a friend of mine who is white was supposed to pay his wifes family to marry her but the family didn't make him do it. she's cambodian btw.
q. pleasing the elders is a big part of the tradition. why can't the elders understand that we do things a certain way because thats the way we want to do it and we aren't doing it to defy them?
A. the elder people are stubarn as hell they think nuthin will be good enough
i hate it when they accomplish so much and im suppose to top them when thats gonna be a hard task

Q. Tony how long have u known your future wife

Q2. if u had 3 months off wut would u do

Old 11-16-2005, 10:16 PM
3rd Gear

Learn to sail really quick, and go on a trip out on the lovely ocean...

Old 11-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Administrator

since toff didnt have a question i;ll go again

Q. Math Pre Calc HW or Accounting Hw

Old 11-16-2005, 10:53 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: PandaXpress

ORIGINAL: SlowWagon08

A. the elder people are stubarn as hell they think nuthin will be good enough
i hate it when they accomplish so much and im suppose to top them when thats gonna be a hard task

Q. Tony how long have u known your future wife

Q2. if u had 3 months off wut would u do
a. i met her when i was about 19 or 20 but started hanging out with her about 4 years ago. dated for about 2 years and then proposed in march.

Old 11-16-2005, 10:58 PM
Administrator

very nice, it seems to work better when your friends first but if it end it could be the worse thing though

did u find a resturant yet Tony

Old 11-16-2005, 11:17 PM
2nd Gear

yea we booked Furiwa Restaurant in Westminster CA. They have really good food there and my fiancee's uncle knows the owner so he helped us out a little bit with the price.

Q. Are you still working like 20 jobs???

Old 11-16-2005, 11:22 PM
Administrator

A. no im at the school library on the computer and doin my math Hw
and now getting ready for my 6pm to 9pm class[&o
i only have one job]

almost a year away and your stressed out, i rmemeber my best friends uncle had his wedding at 888 and he wasnt stressed out at all, i remember they sent the inventations out like a week or 2 befor the wedding and they were still over flowed it was like 60+ tables or something, and this wasnt a cheap wedding also

Q. is a penny worth your times to pick up

Quick Reply: Answer a question & Ask any question?