Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Amazon looking to purchase mall real estate from Simon Property Group

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 03:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Amazon looking to purchase mall real estate from Simon Property Group

August 12, 2020 11:00:00 AM from Stardock Forums

The days of malls are dying.

A dramatic declaration, perhaps, but one that appears to have been acknowledged by Simon Property Group, the company that owns a large majority of the malls in America. Earlier this week, the news broke that Amazon is considering vacant large stores in malls as locations for new fulfillment centers.

Amazon has about 100 fulfillment centers in the U.S., but is looking to expand that number still. Amazon's goal is to increase shipping speed and compete with companies like Target and Walmart, whose e-commerce efforts are aided by the placements of their retail stores. Although fulfillment centers and warehouses are often located in more rural areas, the prime real estate of vacated malls in the heart of populated areas full of customers is proving to be too lucrative of an option to resist.

With a flood of bankruptcies from prominent mall staples in the last few years - stores like Sears, JC Penney, Neiman Marcus, and more - Simon has little choice but to rethink its business model if it wants to keep its properties earning a profit. Malls across the country have attempted to reinvent their buildings in order to draw more crowds by adding new restaurants, theaters, and several other attractions, but it hasn't been successful enough and mall closings are still extremely common.

I personally can't remember the last time I set foot inside a mall - do you? How do you feel about these relics of the 80's and 90's closing and turning into hubs for e-commerce? Personally, I'm torn about whether or not I'd rather see that, or just another large vacant building. What are your thoughts?

Old 08-08-2022, 03:40 AM
1st Gear

I do regularly go to malls. I buy my shoes, and shirts there.

Old 08-08-2022, 04:03 AM
1st Gear

From time to time, I go to shopping malls because of convenience. All the shops I need are located in one place. When you have a family and little time, shopping malls help you have time to buy clothes and food in one day without having to look for a parking space for several hours. Of course, technology is progressing. The pandemic has forced many people, manufacturers, and companies to go online. But now people are happy to see their friends again, walk in parks, and go shopping. Perhaps Amazon is rushing to a decision. In addition, before buying, you need to contact newcastle surveyors to check whether the retail space meets all standards.

Last edited by Froscortan; 08-08-2022 at 04:08 AM.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:34 PM
1st Gear

I was advised to cooperate with custom software development for real estate industry in order to effectively manage real estate, I needed to implement powerful special software. Even though the market is saturated with ready-made options, I recommend you partner with this property management software company.

Old 02-09-2023, 06:40 AM
1st Gear

Besides, I also believe that you need to check various options in Portugal as it's a nice and reliable option right now so have a glance at this portuga property options right there as I just hope that there you will be able to find something cool for yourself right there. Just hope that everything will be fine.

Old 12-04-2023, 03:22 AM
1st Gear

Wow, it's wild how malls are transforming! Amazon eyeing mall spaces for fulfillment centers is quite a shift. I get nostalgic about the mall days, but change is inevitable. It's like witnessing the evolution of retail. However, my friend, who works as a Mortgage Advisor Cardiff, says it's quite reasonable. What are your feelings on this retail revolution?