Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Advice on (suspicious) car listing...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 03:56 PM
2nd Gear
Default Advice on (suspicious) car listing...

Alright, my friend found an EVO 8 in NJ for sale. The sketchy thing is the price - $8,400. He received this email

Dear Customer,

I must apologize for the error in the ad.The car is located in Hamilton,NY you don't worry about the shipping because the car will be shipped to your location without any extra costs because the shipping fees are included in the final price. First of all, I like to inform you that the car is in excellent running and body condition never had an accident and there are no flaws on it or any other mechanical problems. There is no lien against the car and the car has not been salvaged. It has a clear title and it will be signed and notarized in your name as soon as the payment will be completed. The buy it now price is $8,400 including shipping costs anywhere in the continental US. There are no other costs regarding this transaction. I recently moved with my family and now we are in Birmingham,United Kingdom. Since I lost my job and I didn't found one here yet,I have to sell this car as soon as possible and due to the fact that this car is an US model the price to register it here is very high,also the shipping to this place, so I've decided to sell it in US at a price that will find a buyer in a few days.You can find more info and pics at http://myevoforsale.blogspot.com/

If you are still interested please let me know.

The alleged VIN from that site is JA3AH86F33U123746

can someone check that out for me please/ let me know your general opinions. Sounds like a scam to me I told him.

Old 11-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Default RE: Advice on (suspicious) car listing...

$8.500 for an evo 8 not a chance in the UK "sounds like a rip off or stolen car"

Old 11-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Site Moderator

Ewwww...

Do not buy that car. It is a scam. Last registered in North Carolina and has had 2 owners.

Old 11-06-2005, 05:31 PM

it could be the person has done a runner to the UK and owes that much on the car through finance, so the finance company owns the car and hes trying to do a quick cash dash and you would have the car repoed with the last owner cash in pocket "leave well alone" or check if cash is owed on it to a finance company because thats who you need to contact to buy it, remember he is in the UK so its an easy scam

Old 11-06-2005, 06:06 PM
2nd Gear

yep alright thats what I thought guys, thanks a lot for confirming that.

Old 11-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Administrator

yeah i posted almost the same question about a 3 weeks ago... and everyone else was getting the same emails from different people on different cars.. totally a scam