Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Absinthe is Legal in the US!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:21 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Absinthe is Legal in the US!!

ORIGINAL: ocadam

ORIGINAL: acollicott

[hr]
so when i drink this what affects can i expect?
you get drunk.. its nothing to amazing its a fun to drink when your in europe. I also dont see how its legal since it has THC do you have link for this to back it up?
i think it will be like heineken, if you ever had heine in europe it smells of weed a litle but the export does not so thats what the fda might ask of it

Old 11-13-2007, 08:28 AM

Tried it in Europe,didn't like it. I wasn't seein things eithere and i had a few shots. Felt just like drinkin vodka. Maybe i did it wrong.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:24 AM
2nd Gear

I also dont see how its legal since it has THC
Part of thereason it was banned in 1912 was that it was thought that it contained dangerous amounts of Thujone, which does act on the brain in a similar manner to THC. Also contributing to it being banned were instances of violence from absinthe drinkers and that fact that absinthe was at the time considered to be the drink of the poor.

The reason that it's been Un-Banned-ificated now is that further studies have shown that neither original samples nor absinthes made today contain measurable amounts of thujone.

do you have link for this to back it up?
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ne...amp;q=absinthe

To answer a few other questions, no you won't hallucinate from drinking absinthe. That rumor probably started because artists and writerswereamong the biggest proponents ofabsinthe in the 19th century, and artists and writers are known to enbellish things a bit. I had half a bottle one night (gawd that was bad) and while I somehow thought I fell onto the ceiling, I never saw things that weren't there. Drink it in moderation though, and the effect is hard to describe accurately, it's like a really clear buzz. It feels like your body is drunk, but your mind is not, so you're almost watching yourself be drunk. As long as you have something to think about, you can be perfectly clear headed, I can down four straight shots and still talk to you in a perfectly normal tone and not slur words or seem at all drunk.

Thetraditional Frech way to drink it is to pour a shot of absinthe into a specially shaped glass, then pour cold water over a sugar cube on a slotted spoon. A morevisually entertaining way is to pour the absinthe over the sugar first and burn the sugar before pouring the water, which carmelizes the sugar and lets it mix with the drink better.Absnithe tastes a lot like Jager or Sambuca, so any cocktails with those drinks is also good with absinthe substituted.

If no one around you carries absinthe, you can still get it online. The best comapny I've dealt with is www.alandia.de . They have a huge selsction, and they guarantee that if for any reason you don't recieve your order even customs seizure (which may ormaynot stillbe an issue), you will get either a refund or a new order sent to you. They also carry traditional glasses and spoons for the absinthe ritual.

Name:  AbsinthefromAlandia003.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  67.5 KB

Old 11-13-2007, 11:37 AM
4th Gear

So do you get a different experience with the different kinds of absinthe? What one would you say is the better for shots or bombs?

Old 11-13-2007, 12:44 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: new2me

So do you get a different experience with the different kinds of absinthe? What one would you say is the better for shots or bombs?
i went on lucid's website and they have recepies

Old 11-13-2007, 02:08 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

In 2007 the first legally available absinthe has been approved for sale in the US. These brands must pass TTB testing, which is performed by the Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry method [59] and has a margin of error of 10ppm thujone [60]. Thus brands that are under the limit 'officially' don't contain thujone even if in actuality they do. Two brands currently available are Lucid and KĂ¼bler, with more to come.

sources
^
Alcohol Tax and Trade Bureau. "Screening of Distilled Spirits for Thujone by Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry" Retrieved 23 October 2007.
^
Alcohol Tax and Trade Bureau Industry Circular Number 2007-5. Retrieved 23 October 2007.
so basically the only 'legal' absinthe is the stuff without the hallucinogen in it, or such a little amount that the ATTB consider it insignificant...is that the jist?

Old 11-13-2007, 03:01 PM
4th Gear

I have never seen that.
Its always said "banned"

.........[>:]

And dont hate on him, hes OG and typically makes intelligent posts.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:46 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: vnv727

But no you won't hallucinate with old pre war vintage absinthe nor will you hallucinate with this new absinther.
so what does silver love so much about this stuff? is it any different from taking a few shots of crown?

Old 11-13-2007, 06:16 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Amze

I have never seen that.
Its always said "banned"

.........[>:]

And dont hate on him, hes OG and typically makes intelligent posts.
never hated on anybody just making a observation.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:28 PM
4th Gear

Ever watched Three Sheets with Zane Lamprey - you'd have seen the absinth show - it's spooky what peeps do with this stuff - funny show btw - only on MojoHD channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5xeB369NGE

Quick Reply: Absinthe is Legal in the US!!