Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Abs official new car thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 11:56 AM
4th Gear
Default Abs official new car thread...

Alright guys, give me some ideas. It has to be sporty and pretty quick, and around 13k to 15k. Please don't say s4, its not the right time. Give me some ideas...

Old 01-20-2006, 12:05 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Abs official new car thread...

wrx is never a bad thought.
m3? Ive always loved the 99down bodystyle.
rx-7.....quick, handle good
tt supra???only in my dreams atleast.
late 90s mustang cobra....(or NOT!).
the choices never end.......you will find what you want.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:14 PM
2nd Gear

Here is what I would choose... Keep in mind, I'm trying to think of a good sporty car, that will still be reliable for daily driving, and easier to work on.

-B6 A4 - I got mine for $14,700.
-E36 M3 - M3... Need I say more?
-Honda S2000 - Handles like none other, and the torquiest engine Honda's made. Very fun car!
-Acura Integra Type-R - Track *****, and will still be Honda/Acura reliable. The ITR is definately on my dream car list.
-JZA80 Twin Turbo Supra (for $13,000-$15,000, it'll probably need some work) - It's a Supra, enough said.
-Eclipse GS-X (I'm partial to the First Gens, but if you want style as well, Second Gen is where it's at) - Can tickle 12 second passes for very cheap.
-FD3S RX-7 - Better like working on it, because it'll need it. But the styling is timeless, and it's truly a fun car.

Those are just some of my more RELIABLE picks... Aside from the RX-7, but sacrafice isn't a bad thing, haha.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:22 PM
2nd Gear

I would stay away from the first gen gs'x's. They had a lot of trouble with the transmissions.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:30 PM
5th Gear

99.5 A4 2.8Q black-on-black avant....and slap a g3 on that beotch.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:31 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: ZedEx

-E36 M3 - M3... Need I say more?
You can find a really nice one for $12k if you look hard enough, and it's hard to find anything more sporting with genuine back seats. Plus you can get the 97-98 in four door, and still handle like a champ.

-Honda S2000 - Handles like none other, and the torquiest engine Honda's made. Very fun car!
I would disagree with the handles like none other part. I handles well, but it's not exactly in a league of it's own. High strung engine, noisy cabin (top up or down), looks like a doorstop, useless for moving anything more that $40 worth of groceries. not a great daily driver unless you have a loving wife with a Suburban to move everything for you.

-Acura Integra Type-R - Track *****, and will still be Honda/Acura reliable. The ITR is definately on my dream car list.
FWD is soooooooooo not 1337. If you go this route, budget in some limo tint so no one can see you in it.

-JZA80 Twin Turbo Supra (for $13,000-$15,000, it'll probably need some work) - It's a Supra, enough said.
A MKVI Supra for under $15k. Not impossible, just improbable. With the market for these cars, I would walk away from any priced under $20k, as there's probably a reason it's so cheap (comparatively).

-Eclipse GS-X (I'm partial to the First Gens, but if you want style as well, Second Gen is where it's at) - Can tickle 12 second passes for very cheap.
Very hard to find examples that have not been thrashed their entire lives, but if you find a good enough deal and keep money handy for when the drivetrain grenades, it could be a good car.

-FD3S RX-7 - Better like working on it, because it'll need it. But the styling is timeless, and it's truly a fun car.
DO NOT buy an FD if it's going to be your only mode of transportation. They are uneconomical, umcomfortable, impractical, attention ******. They require roughly 18 times the attention that you would give a newborn set of quadruplets. You damned near have to be ASE certified just to sit in one. The R1 and R2 models have a suspension so stiff that you can run over a dime and tell if it's face up or not. Bone stock ones have been known to fail SMOG testing, even when everything is working properly. No one knows how to work on them and taking one to the Mazda dealer for work is similar to taking a nuclear missile to Jiffy Lube for a tune up. The body is primarily aluminum and so stupid thin (for weight savings) that if you so much as look at the car wrong, you'll have dents and dings. Factory paint sticks about as well as a Post-It Note, and you've only got about 4-5 colors to pick from to start with. The powerplant frame (important part, straps the tranny to the diff) can crack easily and the MazdaSpeed PPF is big money. Wheel hop can shatter a rear lower control arm in one go. The Bose stereo system is a joke. and just about every one of them has a blown 5th gear synchro, with a cost to fix of about $400, labor only.

However, if you're hardcore enough to overlook all of that, you truly cannot buy a better second car.
In order of choice, I'd say go for the E36 M3, a MKIII Supra, 300ZX, or you might be able (if you try super hard) to find a 91-93 NSX for around $15k.

Old 01-20-2006, 05:16 PM
3rd Gear

audiboy i thought u said sumthin bout a porsche????

Old 01-20-2006, 05:27 PM
1st Gear

Silverseven, What do you mean by * FWD is sooooooooo not 1337 * ?

Old 01-20-2006, 05:47 PM
2nd Gear

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=1337

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

This is to say that I'm not a big fan of FWD cars.

Old 01-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Administrator

E36 M3
240sx
subaru impreza
i dont Ross driving a FWD car

Quick Reply: Abs official new car thread...