Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

7 possible ricers dead in MD

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 08:05 AM
2nd Gear
Default 7 possible ricers dead in MD

This happened just 3.30 hours back....what a waste of life. I will post more info whenI will get...

Police: 7 dead in likely drag-race crash[/align]The Associated Press[/align]Article Launched:02/16/2008 04:33:25 AM PST[/align]

[/align]

var requestedWidth = 0;

[/align]
if(requestedWidth > 0){
document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').styl e.width = requestedWidth + "px";
document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').styl e.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px";
}

ACCOKEEK, Md.—Police in Maryland say seven people have been killed by a car that apparently plowed into a crowd gathered to watch a drag race.
One officer says the carnage on Route 210 in Accokeek early Saturday is "probably one of the worst scenes I've seen."
Police say four more victims have been taken to hospitals. Their condition isn't known.
Police say the car apparently went out of control around 3:40 a.m. and hit people standing on the roadside and several other vehicles. One of them was a tractor-trailer.
Accokeek is about 20 miles from Washington and 55 miles from Baltimore.[/align]

Old 02-16-2008, 09:46 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force
Default RE: 7 possible ricers dead in MD

There's a vid on CNN showing the two cars, one looked to be a Crown Vic/Grand Marquis and the other was a Prius. Hardly drag cars or ricers, but nonetheless, seven dumbasses are dead and hopefully the drivers survived to face long lists of charges and even longer prison sentences. Not to mention the guilt that will haunt them for the rest of their lives. Way to go, assh*les.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:49 PM
2nd Gear

By Katherine Shaver and Steve Vogel[/align]Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, February 16, 2008; 12:20 PM

Seven people were killed and four were injured early this morning after a driver struck a group of roadside spectators during a high-speed street race on Indian Head Highway in southern Prince George's County, police said.

Six of the dead were hit while watching the race in the dark near Pine Drive and one was a passenger in the white Crown Victoria that struck them about 3 a.m., Prince George's police said. One person also may have been hit by a tractor-trailer unrelated to the street race, said Cpl. Clinton Copeland.
The driver of the older model Crown Victoria was among the injured, Copeland said. Investigators have not released any names or the condition of those injured, he said, but most of those involved appeared to be young men. Police are investigating the possibility that another driver or drivers involved in the race fled the scene because the Crown Victoria was the only one still there when officers arrived, Copeland said.
"It was a very horrific scene with the number of individuals in the road at one time and the amount of debris," Copeland said.
Copeland said the Crown Victoria appeared to have been traveling north on Indian Head Highway before striking the spectators near Pine Drive in Accokeek, which is near the Charles County border. Those hit appeared to have been thrown and the Crown Victoria had run off the road and into an embankment, Copeland said. He said there were skid marks on the pavement from where the driver apparently tried to stop.
He said police are still trying to determine how large a crowd had gathered when the incident happened and are assuming that many fled in fear. He said the number of those still at the scene when officers arrived, "sure implied they were there watching an event." The tractor trailer driver, who was not seriously injured, stayed and spoke with investigators, Copeland said. The truck driver came upon the scene after the street race collision, he said.
He said it's too early to determine any criminal charges.
"Investigators on the scene are trying to piece together exactly what happened," Copeland said. "There are a lot of questions we still need answers to.'
Indian Head Highway is a popular destination for street racers, Copeland said, because it is a straightaway with traffic lights spaced far apart. However, he said, street racers in that area are more typically on motorcycles.
"The way the road is set up, it's definitely enticing for someone who wants to see how fast their vehicle can go," Copeland said.
He said police have used radar and speed traps in the area. "It's not like it's a situation the department is not aware of," he said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021600642.html

Looking at the pictures you can tell the hit was major, their shoes are still on the ground.

[/align][/align]

Old 02-16-2008, 01:00 PM
2nd Gear

I used the word ricer, because it is the one of the examples of 'Fast & Furious' gone wrong. The crowd was definitely pumped up with similar adrenaline to experience the illegal street racing at 3:00 AM.

NAHO, is there a local MD blotter... I have looked around couldn't find any that is updated regularly.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:18 PM
2nd Gear

You wont find localnews in accokeek that is up to date

Old 02-16-2008, 01:23 PM
2nd Gear

Oh..Ok, thanks.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:14 PM
4th Gear

Updated story...

Old 02-16-2008, 07:15 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Nocturnal's sig quote is so true...

Old 02-16-2008, 07:58 PM
2nd Gear

CLX, thanks.

I used to drive fast when I was 16, but by the time I turned 19... I started driving carefully. I am not afraid of dying, as everyone has to one day, but I am afraid of loosing a limb or becoming physically disabled. Of all, those who have healthy bodies, should thank God for it and not waste it.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:05 PM
1st Gear

wow so much blood on the roof of that crown vic. i cant believe he wasnt arrested. they think he was driving without his lights.

Quick Reply: 7 possible ricers dead in MD