Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

30mph+ speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Default RE: 30mph+ speeding ticket

I found another attorney for $325... Looks like I'm gonna be hiring an attorney..

Old 02-12-2008, 09:33 PM
dan
2nd Gear

In VA 15 over is automatically reckless driving and a mandatory court date. Those are always fun

Old 02-14-2008, 01:58 PM

yea so I've called about 5 different attorney's and was quoted from $325-$750 for them to plea bargain FOR ME. They usually get really good results. I kept asking around, and the point definitely don't transfer and most people I talked to didn't take an insurance hit because the insurance never found out. Then I talked to one of my coworkers, who knows a lot of Woodbridge cops, and he said that the guy that gave me a ticket was a rookie trying to make a name for himself and that I was a victim. He said that he couldn't do anything for me since he didn't know the guy. Then I asked him if I should get an attorney (this guy is in his 50's and has always lived in NJ) and he said that why would I pay for someone to do something that I can do myself. Apparently NJ has something called plea bargaining where you can lower the charges against you or even have them dropped.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:19 PM
2nd Gear

I know this is something said by your co worker but I have to comment because it is absolute BS. How the hell were you a victim? You already admitted that you were guilty, that is crap. You broke the law, you got caught. I love people who know a few police officers so people come to them thinking they are the foremost experts. To say that a rookie is trying to make a name for himself via a speeding ticket is by far the most ignorant statement I have read on the forum aside from the scribblings of the late PAM12938719. The only thing intelligent your coworker said was not to get an attorney for a traffic ticket.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:25 PM
dan
2nd Gear

sure you could plea bargain for yourself, but doesnt mean you'll get the best results. You COULD technically represent yourself in a murder trial too but would you really want to do that?

Thnk about it. Lawyers do this all the time. They have relationships with the cops, the judges and the prosocuters. You'll likely get a better result having one of them work for you instead of doing it yourself.

If you can afford the lawyer and you got multiple violations or reckless then get one. If it's just speeding then do what you want. at 30 over I'd personally get the lawyer.

I was clipped in PA doing 138 in a 55 and scored myself probation and a crap load of fines and stuff. Granted 3 months later all the charges were dropped in favor of just the fines etc thanks to an appeal but still it's not a nice feeling knowing you could get locked up for speeding alone.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Notahondaowner

I know this is something said by your co worker but I have to comment because it is absolute BS. How the hell were you a victim? You already admitted that you were guilty, that is crap. You broke the law, you got caught. I love people who know a few police officers so people come to them thinking they are the foremost experts. To say that a rookie is trying to make a name for himself via a speeding ticket is by far the most ignorant statement I have read on the forum aside from the scribblings of the late PAM12938719. The only thing intelligent your coworker said was not to get an attorney for a traffic ticket.
I never said I was the victim. I am guilty and will admit to it (well not to the prosecutor I won't) but thats what HE said not me.

anyway its a total of 7 points in 2 different violations... should I get an attorney for $350? or just take my chances and see how I can bargain it

Old 02-14-2008, 02:44 PM
dan
2nd Gear

whats the max fines for those offenses? then add court costs to those fines and work out if it's worth it. If you go on your own chances are you WILL get the max for what ever they throw at you. They may drop the speed 5mph or something but the actual violations probably wont change if you go on your own.

A lawyer may well be able to drop the amount of points you get nailed with, avoid any suspension etc and probably plead down the actual charges. only you can know if it's worth it to YOU to get a lawyer.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:52 PM

well keep in mind this is the first time getting pulled over and I have a NY license so I get no points on my license... but I WILL get a record in NJ and there is a chance I will have my driving privileges in NJ suspended...

Old 02-14-2008, 03:37 PM
2nd Gear

1- I know you werent the one who said you were a victim, that is why I opened with "I know this is something your co worker said" that is not a statement I hold against, just wanted to address it

2- No one ever gets the max fines in traffic court unless they have a really bad record or act like an *** in court regardless of the charge

3- Representing yourself in a murder trial and representing yourself in traffic court are hardly comparable

4- A traffic case is NOT a trial, there is no states attorney prosecuting you unless the ticket you recieve is a MANDATORY court appearance in which case I strongly advise an attorney. It is you and the officer otherwise.

When deciding on an attorney take into account, your insurance, past record, is the court appearance mandatory, and gravity of the tickets

gravity meaning points and fines

In this state your license is suspeded at 6 points and revoked at 12. So if I received an 11 point combo I would most likely lawyer up.

You ticket will say on it whether or not you court appearance is optional. GENERALLY if the ticket has a fine written on it, it is optional to go to court. Most mandatory tickets do not have the fines on them because they are decided by the judge. In mandatory cases you may be eligible for a public defender dependant upon your income and state laws.

as for points carrying over I have no clue about those states, id be willing to bet you could google this info

Old 02-14-2008, 03:44 PM
dan
2nd Gear

He never said exactly what charges he was facing, unless i missed it, I'd imagine 30+ over would include reckless driving. and "so he goes back to his car and spends 10 mins and comes back with a ticket and court summon." IS a mandatory court appearance unless once again I'm missing something.

Quick Reply: 30mph+ speeding ticket