Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

30mph+ speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:12 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 30mph+ speeding ticket

ORIGINAL: Carlos10704

... I'm 19 and have had my license for about 4 months...
Yet another reason why new drivers should have their license suspended / revoked for fist offense speeding. I mean, I feel bad that you have to pay the insurance and ticket, but if you ask me, you kind of deserve it. I'm a EMT here in Boston and in my local town during my off time (full time med school student) and can say from experience that 30% of the serious accidents I come across are caused by inexperienced drivers who are just being stupid and ignorant. Unless you're traveling 100+ miles a day, speeding to and from places is going to save you 1 or 2 minutes at the most. You want to screw up your own life, go for it, but when you drive like what you're describing, you're putting everyone at risk. Just the other month I got called to an accident with some 19 y/o who was pulling out of a store on rt.9. He thought he'd look pretty cool to the other 3 guys in the car if he went floored it out of the parking lot across 2 lanes of speeding traffic. Good news is he made it across the lanes, bad news is that a 3500 twin axel turbo diesel was occupying the same space that the 19 y/o wanted. Make a long story short, the Dodge pickup went literally through his car, flipping it up in the air, over a 9 foot high fence partition, and onto its roof, forcing everyone in the little sedan to be airlifted to major trauma centers.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:07 PM

ummm I've been driving with a permit since I was 16.... but I worked in NYC so didn't need a license or car... soooo I'm not inexperianced... and I DO learn from my mistakes. today I was drving half the day and did the speed limit 80% of the time... the other 20% of the time I did more then the speed limit just to keep up with traffic. so don't put me in the same category as those kids because I'm not that crazy...

Old 02-11-2008, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

750$ seems pretty steep to me too. Like chaos said the lawyers to find are the ones who specifically work traffic cases, like traffic law hotline or some shi* like that. Camhabib i have to respectfully disagree that he should lose his license. Speeding is dangerous but acting stupid and ignorant is another thing itself, there are plenty of stupid ignorant people who cause accidents and dont speed. Hopefully the cost of the ticket will be enough to discourage reckless driving, and you never exceed the speed limit you're telling me? come on 55??!?!

Old 02-11-2008, 08:48 PM
1st Gear

wesleypipes, while I agree that ignorance alone does not cause an accident, I have just found in my experience that ignorance combined with an automobile and an overly large ego makes for bad times, and those are three things commonly found in new drivers.

Carlos, while you may be an amazing driver for a 19 y/o, unless your father was an F1 driver and you spent your early childhood on a racecourse testing out cars, you're inexperienced. It has nothing to do with how far you can press down on the gas pedal or how quickly you can take a turn. It has to do with the mentality, attention, and experience that comes with driving for multiple years. I drive an ambulance 100+ mph on city streets multiple times a week, race a Ferrari every other weekend, and driver 80 miles commuting daily, and I still wouldn't consider myself experienced after 8 years.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:43 PM
3rd Gear

I got a ticket on the Jersey TNPK for going ~80 mph. That cop was a jerk dude. I was on track to make it from New Haven, Ct to the Delaware Bridge in 4 hours flat (so it ended up being like 4:15). I just paid it online ( few hundred iirc) don't think that any points hit myCT licenseandinsurance price did notincrease.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:00 PM

didn't you have to go to court?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:27 AM
2nd Gear

11 points seems a very odd number for a speeding ticket, there must be more to this story. Were you also charged with reckless driving/ reckless endangerment?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:52 AM

nope failure to signal.... in NY u get 8pts for 30+ over the limit and 3pts for failure to signal... idk exactly how many pts the court will start off with since I got pulled over in NJ but lets see

Old 02-12-2008, 03:43 AM

oh I just checked my ticket again and it says I was clocked under radar... so what can I ask for to show proof that I was actually clocked at this speed and that the radar gun was working properly?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:47 PM
2nd Gear

You can't ask for that. They are automatically sent to the companies every so many months to be tested. You can only ask for her radar operators certificate. As I stated before I wouldnt do this because you are just gonna make her and the judge annoyed. She will have this with her.

Quick Reply: 30mph+ speeding ticket