Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

30mph+ speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Default 30mph+ speeding ticket

this happened on Route 1 in Islin/Woodbridge, NJ by the Woodbridge mall

so I was coming back home for work today, had a headache and just wanted to get home and relax ASAP.... I was doing 80 when I saw this car cutting everyone off and got right on my ***, I didn't know it was a cop until he turned on the lights... so I got pulled over (the POS cop said I was doing 82 on a radar on a 50 when I'm pretty sure he paced my speed... why else would you follow me so close for about 300 feet?). This is my first time getting pulled over so I'm sitting there sh*tting bricks with my license and registration in my hand. he asks me whats the hurry and I tell him the truth "I'm just going home", whatever, he asks me why I was switching lanes without signaling and cutting everyone off... which I wasn't so I told him "I didn't realize I was doing that", I know bad responses but remember this was my first time getting pulled over... so he goes back to his car and spends 10 mins and comes back with a ticket and court summon. Now I'm really sh*tting bricks cuz I know in NY speeding 30mph+ over the speed limit is 7pts on your license and a 30 day suspension...

but after a little research online I came upon this little info and it says:

"The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. The exceptions are alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario. Under special agreements, traffic convictions in Quebec or Ontario are recorded on NYS driver license records and carry points. Except for violations in Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS record for out-of-state violations."

so basically I'm safe from points right?

and can I fight the ticket by saying that I sped up because I saw a car coming towards me at high speed so I didn't want him to ram behind me?

does anybody know any cops/detective in NJ that can help me out?

Old 02-10-2008, 09:01 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 30mph+ speeding ticket

Yo man I would say you are safe from points in NY. However thats still a monster ticket and if your insurance finds out about it thats no good either. Back home the way it works for me is like this- hire a lawyer, end up paying more than the ticket would've been, and then they nicely change it to a non-moving violation. No points, no insurance jack up. Usually worth it. As for your excuse for speeding i dont think the judge will buy it, good luck though man

Old 02-10-2008, 09:04 PM

Im paying $200/month right now for insurance in PA... how much do u think it'll get raised if they find out?

Old 02-10-2008, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

Tough to say, like I said all of my tickets have been "fixed". Heres a little info that might be helpful http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content10348.aspx

Old 02-10-2008, 09:15 PM
1st Gear

btw the person asked a question about speeding in a school zone but the answer seems pretty general.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:43 PM

cool thanks...
does anybody know any cops in NJ that can help me out?

Old 02-10-2008, 10:24 PM
4th Gear

I got a ticket in jersey couple years ago, 75 in a 50, and my rate never went up. The fvcker was tailling me in the left lane for over a mile but it was dark and I could only see the headlights, he got really close and I gunned it. Then the lights went on[:@] I wouldn't worry about it. Pay the $150+ and watch your speed.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:28 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Carlos10704

so basically I'm safe from points right?

does anybody know any cops/detective in NJ that can help me out?
I won't be surprised if you get the points. Definitely your insurance will go up, the cost will depend upon your age. Also, consider your self lucky, as in MD and VA, you can get arrested for driving30 above the speed limit.

I will doubt if any Cop/Officer can help you, except giving advice to go to court and pay fine. You will have hard time convincing the Judge about 32 mph excess, so don't even think of contesting the ticket. Pay the fine, and drive carefully.... your increased insurance will keep you reminded.

I know it sucks..

Old 02-11-2008, 10:42 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: Carlos10704

cool thanks...
does anybody know any cops in NJ that can help me out?
I'm pretty sure AudiForums user named "notahondaowner" is a NJ police officer.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:14 AM

ok so I just got off the phone with an attorney and he told me the 11 points ([:@]) won't go on my NY license but I'll have a record in NJ. and by law NJ is required to send that violations to my insurance company. He told me that he works with the Woodbridge court all the time and usually they get most if not all of the points removed and turn the ticket into something less serious. He said that my insurance will definitely go up. I'm 19 and have had my license for about 4 months... so I'm guessing I'll probebly be paying maybe 300 a month instead of the 200 a month I pay now for my insurance if I plead guilty. But the thing is that the attorney charges a flat rate of $750....

do you guys think its worth it?

Quick Reply: 30mph+ speeding ticket