Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

2006 A4, 58,000 miles NEEDS NEW ENGINE

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:56 PM
1st Gear
Default 2006 A4, 58,000 miles NEEDS NEW ENGINE

I know that this will not begin to touch Audi's reputation or success as a car manufacturer but...I have a 2006 Audi A4 with 58,000 miles on it and it needs a NEW ENGINE...8,000 miles out of warranty and Audi offers to help me out by a good will discount...Price AFTER discount: $8,136.91. That seems like a lot of money to spend on a car that is designed and engineered in Germany. The Reason for needing a new engine: "The engine has been driven too hard" -David at Audi Nashville. Remember, DESIGNED, ENGINEERED AND BUILT in GERMANY. Home of the AUTOBAHN. The guy who owned the car before me: Retired man in Florida. I've never driven the car over 85 MPH but somehow an automobile that is designed to be driven at HIGH SPEEDS has been driven too hard. I can't talk to anyone higher up than the General Manager at the Dealership or a customer service representative at Audi USA (corporate). For a company that has such a high reputation amongst car owners and drivers alike...I would think Customer Service would be a top priority. Maybe I'm wrong. Please share your thoughts or feelings on this issue and let me know what you think I can do to assist Audi in doing the RIGHT THING.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Actual WIZARD

I hate to be this way but,

Shut the f%ck up.

If youve got beef, post it in ONE forum, do not spam it across the website. I never drive my car over 85, yet it sees the redline (and further) daily. Try actually posting WHY it failed, and someone might care. AoA doesn't have to "give" you anything. It's called a "limited" warranty for a reason. If my ps3 breaks in a year and one month, well tough cookies its out of warranty. They TRIED to help you, but they cant just drop engines in for free. My guess is this old guy didn't keep up on maintenance.

Someone ban him.

/rant

Old 01-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Tech Slut

I'd be very interested to see what went wrong, and why the engine blew. Giving an answer like the guy did is kind of bogus without hearing what failed. Not to mention that most times they try and sell someone on a whole new engine, it really only needs the top end or bottom, and sometimes actually just a rebuild on one or the other. But they make their money by overselling, thats just how it is.

My father recently had a Saab that needed a new engine after less than 10,000 miles. Luckily for him it happened way before the warranty was up. That car actually had so many problems that he had a loaner car more often then his own for the first year he owned it, not even kidding. Its a shame because Saab used to be a good company with great cars, but now my father is in an 2011 Audi, so it was a blessing in disguise I guess.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:01 AM
1st Gear
Default really no need.

Originally Posted by Keegan0103
I hate to be this way but,

Shut the f%ck up.

If youve got beef, post it in ONE forum, do not spam it across the website. I never drive my car over 85, yet it sees the redline (and further) daily. Try actually posting WHY it failed, and someone might care. AoA doesn't have to "give" you anything. It's called a "limited" warranty for a reason. If my ps3 breaks in a year and one month, well tough cookies its out of warranty. They TRIED to help you, but they cant just drop engines in for free. My guess is this old guy didn't keep up on maintenance.

Someone ban him.
/rant

Keegan0103,
First off. I don't really feel there is any need to be this rude and to ask to kick me off. As far as the spamming, I'm new here and wasn't quite sure where to post it so i wanted to cover my bases to get as many opinions as possible. Wasn't trying to bother anyone but apparently you were bothered. Sorry about that. Wasn't my intent. Again, I was merely just trying to get as much information as possible. Oh and about the service...I have records for the ENTIRE life of the car. Scheduled maintenance has ALL been performed by and Audi dealership and on time. Audi is telling me that a ring broke and has scored one of the cylinders. If you would like to help, I'd appreciate it. If its going to be "shut the F*$% up" and "someone ban him", then please just don't bother responding.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:06 AM
1st Gear
Default thank you

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
I'd be very interested to see what went wrong, and why the engine blew. Giving an answer like the guy did is kind of bogus without hearing what failed. Not to mention that most times they try and sell someone on a whole new engine, it really only needs the top end or bottom, and sometimes actually just a rebuild on one or the other. But they make their money by overselling, thats just how it is.

My father recently had a Saab that needed a new engine after less than 10,000 miles. Luckily for him it happened way before the warranty was up. That car actually had so many problems that he had a loaner car more often then his own for the first year he owned it, not even kidding. Its a shame because Saab used to be a good company with great cars, but now my father is in an 2011 Audi, so it was a blessing in disguise I guess.
HAHA! I love the blessing in disguise. I appreciate your willingness to help. As I told Keegan, I'm really sorry for posting to more than one forum I just wasn't sure where I could fine the best opinion. As you can see posted above Audi is saying that a ring broke and scored the cylinder. They say there are also burn marks on the engine. I'm honestly just at a loss as I recently was laid off from my job as well and am dealing with some personal family issues so its just a very stressful time right now. When it rains it pours I guess. Ha. Well let me know if you have any further advice and hopefully I don't get banned per keegan's request...I didn't know I was breaking the golden rule of internet forums. Thanks again for your help! Greatly appreciated!

Old 01-28-2011, 09:18 AM
4th Gear

Agreed on the "driven too hard" is a bunch of BS, and if you truely have all the documented maintenance, everything done on time, ect. ect., then I think you just seriously had some bad luck.

To save you some money, you could try and find a replacement used engine and do the work yourself... It's unfortunate that this happened so soon after the warrenty expired. Like I said, extreme bad luck.

Don't worry about Keegan, he was just on the rag And he doesn't have the power to ban you. I'm sure you posted over in the B7 section, where you should be able to get a little more technical help...

Old 01-28-2011, 04:03 PM
1st Gear
Default thank you

Thanks so much Bradtyler! Appreciate the input. I've actually started looking into the used engine option as of yesterday. Looking like the best option right now! I'll pry just eat the money to get the used one put in then sell the car b/c I hear the next thing to go is the CVT. Have you guys heard this a lot?
thanks again for all the help.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Tech Slut

Ok, well you DO NOT need a whole new engine. And a broken piston ring isnt what I would call driven too hard. Many things would happen before that if the engine had the **** beaten out of it. Floated valves would be the first issue from over revving. So its not that.

You might be able to get away with just redoing the piston rings and a hone on the cylinders if the damage to the actual cylinder wall isnt that bad. Otherwise you are looking at a new bottom end. Your head(s) should be fine as long as the piston itself didnt blow apart and kill valves. What engine and code is it and Ill see if I find a decent deal anywhere.

About the CVT, I cant help you there, not sure what their expected life is, but its gotta be more than 60k miles lol. Why did you pick that trans to begin with?

Old 01-29-2011, 09:34 PM
Banned

if you buy any used car you run the risk of buying a neglected car. this is an example, in addition to the 2 used cars i bought and got burned by, where you buy something that you assume has been maintained well. maybe the retired man in florida had no idea you needed to change the oil now and then.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:01 AM
Actual WIZARD

Originally Posted by justinmrusek
Keegan0103,
First off. I don't really feel there is any need to be this rude and to ask to kick me off. As far as the spamming, I'm new here and wasn't quite sure where to post it so i wanted to cover my bases to get as many opinions as possible. Wasn't trying to bother anyone but apparently you were bothered. Sorry about that. Wasn't my intent. Again, I was merely just trying to get as much information as possible. Oh and about the service...I have records for the ENTIRE life of the car. Scheduled maintenance has ALL been performed by and Audi dealership and on time. Audi is telling me that a ring broke and has scored one of the cylinders. If you would like to help, I'd appreciate it. If its going to be "shut the F*$% up" and "someone ban him", then please just don't bother responding.
Yeah I was out of line posting that, Sorry man.

Id just take it to another dealer and see if they say something different

Quick Reply: 2006 A4, 58,000 miles NEEDS NEW ENGINE