Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

2 weeks of ownership and my first ticket

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:11 AM
3rd Gear

Again I say GL w/ that... If you go in there w/ that cocky immature attitude the judge is not going to side w/ you. Simply the judge is going to see this as a good time for you to learn a lesson and at that point you will be lucky if he doesn't decide to suspend your license or at least up the fee. Try it if you want but I think your much better off paying it and taking a defensive driving course to keep the points on your license to a minimum.

I have been pulled over like 5x since I got my license. The first time I was doing like 49 in a 40 cop let me off cuz it was my first time. 2nd time I was doing 76 in a 60 Got a $125 ticket and 4 points on license. 3rd time I was minding my own damn business doing nothing wrong and even had seen the cop the whole time he pulled me over took my license and stuff then was like "sorry sir I thought you were someone else" (I was driving a 100% stock civic at the time might of had something to do w/ it just cuz I was a kid in a Civic)... 4th time I was going 35 in a curve that said 20 the officer didn't have time to get my speed but saw me smash the brakes. He gave me a warning and I walked into work... ya I was pulled over in the parking lot haha. The last time was in the Audi doing 77 in a 50... 6 points on my license $150 ticket. Now due to the 2 times I have been ticketed the shops insurance has tried to cut me off from driving customers cars and on the dealer plate. Needless to say I cannot get another ticket they switched insurance to someone that would allow me but its been a huge hassle.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:17 PM
5th Gear

Yeah, there's really no easy way to argue why you were DOUBLING the speed limit. Yeesh.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:36 PM
1st Gear

well I'm not really sure I was going so fast. that's why this whole crap is smelly to me. I honestly don't think I was doing 80. 40 mph over the limit is 8 points on my license. I might've been above the limit but not by 40. Maybe 60 or 70 the most. That's why I think the cop exagerated when he tested my speed.

One question I have for those who went to court to fight speeding tickets: does the radar used issue a print out or some official proof that I was clocked at 80 mph? I would like to get this reduced as much as I can, since 8 points is a whole lot, and I'll be paying driver's responsibility assessment fees each year for three years. It's like I'll be on probation.

And another question, how can I find the cops name that gave me the ticket? I called the precinct written on the ticket, but they couldn't tell me by giving the officer's id number.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:51 AM
3rd Gear

I dont think the radar does a print out, but you couldve asked to see it when you were stopped if you didnt believe that he clocked you that fast. not sure how you go about getting his name, here in CO the officer prints his name on the ticket itself then signs it with this badge number. At this point I'd think your best options are either take a lawyer with you to court or go by yourself and hope the DA gives you a deal.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:16 AM
3rd Gear

60mph is still 20 over and excessive speeding = 6 points on license. Thats what my last ticket was and it was 27 over and 150 bux. Accept it and pay the damn ticket. The only thing I would be trying to do in court is get the probation thing you were talking about knocked off I would plead to the judge to take a defensive driving course instead. Possibly going in w/ an attitude like that would make the judge choose to knock it down to a lesser charge as well. If you go in and make yourself look like a responsible kid that made a mistake the judge will sympathize w/ you if you go in and try to blame the officer or claim you were not going that fast. The judge will not hold any sympathy for you as he hears this EVERY DAY!

Old 01-27-2009, 12:57 PM
1st Gear

I'll definitely take my chances in court. some of you guys said that I should've been locked up on the spot for going 40 mph over the limit in NYS. why is that? in the permit booklet, it states clearly that 31-40 mph equals 8 point violation, nothing about being arrested.

and how or why would a judge change the violation from 8 points to 11 points? worst case scenario, I'm guilty and I pay the penalty for the violation that I was found guilty for plus some extra fees. Do I need to be afraid to look for justice to be done? By now, I am 100 percent sure I wasn't going 80 mph. The cop coughed up that number. And I will bring some interesting arguments to the hearing, and I will work to prove my point. Hopefully the judge will weigh both sides and give an unbiased sentence.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:19 PM
3rd Gear

Well its your word vs. an officer's, good luck with that.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:37 PM

He's hopeless. Just let him get what he deserves in court.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by hiwords
cops don't have to be at a standstill while getting your speed. the radar detects his speed with yours and the computer calculated the speeds and determines yours.
youre right about that... radar can be used on the fly, laser on the other hand has to be shot from a standstill
Originally Posted by McGovs1.8B5
I dont think the radar does a print out, but you couldve asked to see it when you were stopped if you didnt believe that he clocked you that fast. .
yea no systems that i know of give a printout. and they dont have to show you even if you ask.

your best bet is to go there and see what the prosecutor offers you. You'd be smart to take the deal, as it will be very easy for them to convict you of the original charge... If you have the money to throw at a lawyer in order to keep your license as clean as possible then by all means, go ahead.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:35 PM
3rd Gear

Honestly I dont think any of us believe you about not doing 80 because most of us would have been doing 80 as well. If we don't believe you why would the judge? Specially w/ an officer telling him otherwise.

Quick Reply: 2 weeks of ownership and my first ticket