Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

2 weeks of ownership and my first ticket

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:00 PM
1st Gear

haha ya there was another speeding thread a couple of days ago, near same situation, but a member on here added to it that was a cop so check that out.

For me, I have had my b5 for 4 months now, I am 17, and I havent gotten even looked at once. I dont speed too much, ESPECIALLY NEAR LIGHTS, and I think IMO that acceleratiing quickly is much more funthen blowing a 50 in a 20 or something like that.

>>>> I always like to sit at a light when a cop is a few cars back and gun it right off the line at green but then let off right when I get to the speed limit. ALL the cop can do is just watch.

As for the A4 percentile of getting pulled over, I had a state K-9 expedition pull out of an offramp off the interstate and ride my tail. I watched his eyes and I realized then that he was trying to read my plates (which are LED lit up btw) and read my model. He knew when I passed him (even though i was only going 3-4 over) that I was driving an audi but Im sure he was probably checking for that A4 logo on the rear deck.

IMO i believe cops would obviously pull over a yellow corvette over a ford windstar any day just because they figure the driver of the vette probably speeds alot. Its not the driver here, its the car, and for you, it was your A4, not your age. Good luck on the court date and read what audi-up had to say.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:06 PM
5th Gear

hey witwer, the cop could give you a ticket for reckless driving for gunning it. there's all kinds of cops that would love to make your day miserable

Old 01-25-2009, 11:24 PM
1st Gear

haha ya, but not if im doing only 0-30 and if you think about it, 2.8's arent that fast off the line.....

And as long as i dont spin my tires. And i dont plan on spinning my Blizzak tires with the Quattro. So Im not too worried.....

Old 01-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by A4Bam
well, I'm gonna say that I was targeted since I was driving a newly purchased vehicle with temporary plates and it was an audi, and research shows that for some reason, a4's tend to be pulled over alot more than most of the other cars. plus I have a couple of more things to say, and I have a witness that I will testify that I've been driving slowly carefully ever since I got this vehicle, since I care so much about it. I'm also gonna bring up the fact that I'm a student and my full-time job requires a 40 mile commute a day, and hopefully, the judge will be nice and give me leniency.
And the judge or prosecutor will laugh at you... That's like a black guy that murdered someone arguing that "he never murdered anyone before this, and he was caught cuz he's black..." Not going to work in the least.

Man up, pay the ticket and put it behind you.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:17 AM
1st Gear

I know you probably heard this before, but were you in a hurry going 80 on a 40 limit? Was it an emergency? Not only you might hurt yourself, but you might endanger other people as well. There is a reason why the limit is 40. If you plan to fight this AND for some odd reason that you win, you will probably just do it again. Man up and pay the fine. Next time your gas foot is itchin, think about the consequences. I got a ticket about a year ago doing 74 on a 45 and paid it and accepted it. After that, every time I attempt to speed, I think how much I had to pay and how much my insurance went up. Take it to the track if you feel the need for speed.

Drive safe.

Last edited by swau; 01-26-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:27 AM
1st Gear

Tell them that you're radar detector wasn't working.

I remember getting a fat speeding ticket on a work zone. First time ever getting a ticket not long after converting to an Audi. I knew the potential consequences of speeding, but since I never got pulled over, I got away with speeding every time I drove without one thought of encountering a cop. About a month after getting that ticket, I stepped out of my safe zone again and let my ego get to me cuz someone cut me off and just due to that one exception, I got pulled over again. The cop let me off the hook so I was very grateful. Now that I finally got what I needed, I am almost always on the speed limit and no more than 5 over on exceptions. Choosing to speed for even a couple seconds is super difficult now.

It also has a lot to do with intrinsic rewarding: Outcome that gives an individual internal (personal) satisfaction such as that derived from a job well done.
I learned in my A.P. Psychology class finally I get to teach it!
When someone does something and it never caused any negative outcome, they are motivated to keep on doing that cuz it is rewarding. Choosing not to speed = no ticket = fa sho!

This is the conclusion of my speech...

Old 01-26-2009, 01:46 AM
4th Gear

dude 80 in a 40 is wreckless driving in illinois. if anything jsut suck it up and go in with remorse. you were speeding and you got pulled over, from my experience your less likely to get pulled over in a nice car. since ive had my car ive been pulled over twice because i was speeding. actually 3, today was my 3rd time for rolling a stop sign, the cop was cool and let me off espacially since i found out my license expired 3 weeks ago.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:50 AM
1st Gear

yeah, I know you guys are telling me to man up and pay the ticket, take the points and move on. but this ticket didn't smell good to me from the beginning. I went out last night and I drove back home on the same highway where that cop pulled me over. so this is what I have:

the place of occurence stated on the ticket says harlem river drive c/w 190th street. First of all, these 2 streets never intersect. Second of all, that portion of Harlem River Drive west of 190th street consists of two lanes, and no shoulder lane (it's really tight,with concrete barriers on both sides), so there was no way the cop was stationed and waiting for speeders. In order for him to use radar or laser, his car would've had to be standing still. He had nowhere to stand still and wait for speeders unless he would've been parked on one of the lanes. If that was the case, I would've slowed down way before, because no one sane would just do 80 while passing by a cop, that's common sense. If I really did not see the cop being stationed and taking up a lane of the 2 lane highway and passed by him doing 80, I think the cop should've at least suspected that I was drugged up or drunk, and he should've tested me for that too.

so the only way for this guy to determine that I was really speeding and doing 80 is only if he was driving behind me on the highway around the same speed. now when I go to court, he'll get to tell his recollection of the encounter, and if he says that he was stationed and he clocked me, then I will use the above defense. meanwhile, I will try to get records from his precinct with regards to whether his radar or whatever tool he used was calibrated properly and within the legal time interval.

Seriously guys, I really think this cop was bored and wanted to mess somebody's weekend. By the way, I got pulled over on Sunday at 5 a.m., on my way home from hanging out. He asked for my license and registration, and he was like: yeah, I see you just bought this car, what, you decided to take it out for a test drive? and his partner was walking around the car looking at it and analyzing it.

So my strategy is this. I will postpone the hearing as much as I can, and probably a year from now I will go to the hearing and hope that he won't show up. If he will show up, I will use the above strategy. Last time I got a speeding ticket was 5 years ago, I will use that to my defense as well. I've been a responsible driver for the past 4-5 years. And I'll go dressed decently and hopefully I will get the charges dismissed, or maybe a reduction.

What do u guys think?

Old 01-26-2009, 09:14 AM
5th Gear

cops don't have to be at a standstill while getting your speed. the radar detects his speed with yours and the computer calculated the speeds and determines yours. college physics is amazing lol. i'm a nerd just like slik. sure, try to postpone it but def don't use that article. and it doesn't matter how bored the cop was, you still got caught lol. i hope it works out whatever you do. i know for a fact in NY, you'd be in the county jail right now

Old 01-26-2009, 09:46 AM
3rd Gear

The problem with that article is that it doesnt take into account how many A4s are on the road. i see at least 20 A4s everyday, from B5 to B8s. Audis are as popular (if not more) as subys in Denver. The guy who drives a 911 Turbo prolly gets his fair share of tickets but there just arent many 911 Turbos on the road so proportionately they get ticketed less. I didnt read every comment, but the general consensus was you wont be able to fight much and I agree with that. Just get a lawyer and wear dark underwear so that you dont stain them after you get raped in court. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2 weeks of ownership and my first ticket