Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

2 weeks of ownership and my first ticket

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:27 AM
1st Gear
Default 2 weeks of ownership and my first ticket

Yeah, I got slapped by the NYPD last night at 5 a.m. with a ruthless 80 in a 40 mph speeding ticket, on the FDR. That's a b_tch, fine, 8 points plus driver responsibility assessment fees, and some more bs. I plan to really prepare for fighting this ticket, and I'm gonna use that article posted by someone where it says that A4 owners are more prone to being ticketed for speeding among other things. You guys had any success in fighting speeding tickets? I appreciate any advice.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:47 AM
5th Gear

why would you use that article? they're gonna say that's why they should ticket you more. you gotta tell them you hadn't driven it in a while because it was broken down and you just fixed it at 4:30am. then tell them you just spent a fortune on the parts and you really don't have much money left to pay for the ticket. they might knock it down a little bit but they shoulda arrested you i think, or suspended you license. i think that's wut it said in the book you read for your permit. also do a search, somebody posted a site on fighting tickets. good luck

Old 01-25-2009, 12:27 PM
1st Gear

well, I'm gonna say that I was targeted since I was driving a newly purchased vehicle with temporary plates and it was an audi, and research shows that for some reason, a4's tend to be pulled over alot more than most of the other cars. plus I have a couple of more things to say, and I have a witness that I will testify that I've been driving slowly carefully ever since I got this vehicle, since I care so much about it. I'm also gonna bring up the fact that I'm a student and my full-time job requires a 40 mile commute a day, and hopefully, the judge will be nice and give me leniency.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:52 PM
3rd Gear

Gl w/ that... from the sound of it your not gonna get **** knocked off. Blaming the cops is not the way to go.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Yeah I've been pulled over twice in mine so far *knocks on wood* 73 in a 55 on rt. 7 and 73 in a 55 on the beltway....oops lol. The only reason I got out of the second one is because i was still waiting for my court date on the first one (they were a week apart). Needless to say i've been driving much more carefully since then. I agree with somebody, blaming the cops usually won't get you anywhere unless it was a huge mistake or somethin. Also, doing 80 in a 40 i'm suprised you aren't in the clink right now lol. I'd just take your medicine and keep a sharper eye out for fuzz next time

Old 01-25-2009, 02:33 PM
3rd Gear

you were doing 80 in a 40 and you are going to argue that you got pulled over because you were driving a nice car that is prone to be pulled over? good luck with that.......

does that seriously make sense in your head?

Old 01-25-2009, 03:10 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ghost6303
you were doing 80 in a 40 and you are going to argue that you got pulled over because you were driving a nice car that is prone to be pulled over? Good luck with that.......

Does that seriously make sense in your head?
haha!!

Old 01-25-2009, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

This won't help you at all with your ticket. I got pulled over on my way to game 5 of the world series for blowing a light. It was yellow and red went I went through it. I was speeding and had a cheeseburger in my right hand - so I couldn't downshift. I saw a cruiser to my left at the intersection but still couldn't get it together to stop. So I threw my hands up and looked right at the cop, like I see you, but I can't stop. She put on her takedown lights and I pulled over immediately. I gave her the old "I thought it would be safer to go through and not get rear-ended bs". Sidenote: she was Italian and very attractive. I pleaded with her and admitted that I made a poor choice. She took my cards to her car, but before she started writing a ticket for the lesser charge of failure to obey traffic signs (no points) she got an emergency call, handed me my stuff, told me to enjoy the game, hopped back in her cruiser and did a sliding 180 off to the call as two other cruisers flew out of side streets and followed her.
This is not a lie. I have been pulled over in NJ (I'm from PA) three times in the past five years for speeding, and have gotten three warnings.
Advice for avoiding tickets when you get pulled over. Pull over right away when you see take-down lights. Like .. I am aware of my surroundings and am not just blowing down the road cause I'm cool. Turn on interior lights. Keep hands on wheel. Eye contact. Be apologetic and logical. Don't ask for a break ... explain your rationale.
Of course 80 in a 40 in a (newer?) Audi and I don't think anyone would get away from that. But at this point your looking at a bunch of cash for an attorney or paying big fines to the state.
I would definitely not act profiled, like I'm in a hot ride so you took me down. I would say I was not paying attention and the car is very smoothe, etc. I would ask for mercy and explain that the citation has opened your eyes to your recklessness, and you are sorry. You knew you were cooking but not 80! Do you have a nice suit? Just kidding. Good luck and I'm interested in how this works out.

Last edited by audi-up; 01-25-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

^^get a lawyer if you really want to fight it. you will probably have to pay more upfront but it will help your insurance. don't forget some jobs even check your driving record when applying.

your car might be quick, but you strike me as pretty slow yourself. 80 in a 40 is reckless endangerment around here (got pulled over by a sheriff i know at 75 in a 25). you should feel lucky you only have that fine to pay and that you don't have to drop the cash to get you car out of impound after you post some ungodly bail. i've tried the "i have a 0pt record" agument - fail. I've even taken a witness who swore i wasn't speeding - fail. just pay your fines and slow down for the next two years while you wait for those points to fall off your record.

Last edited by never_enough; 01-25-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Legal Moderator

i with everbody who says just be apologetic (although 80 in a 40 there really isnt any way of getting out of). i have last track of the times i have been pulled over after the twelveth in two years but to of those times i was always speeding. to my record i have to speeding tickets and two unnecessary acceleration tickets. every time i get pulled over i am just nice as can be and understanding. sometimes i blurt out a lame excuse but most of the time thats all i got. just be nice and admit you were speeding, unless you have a valid excuse i.e. my wife is at home dying.

Quick Reply: 2 weeks of ownership and my first ticket