Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

1998 Audi A4 quattro severely choking

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 12:16 AM
1st Gear
Default 1998 Audi A4 quattro severely choking

Hi everyone,
I am having a problem with a 1998 Audi A4 quattro. The history of the problem started after an attempt by my brother in law to fix the headlight switch that switchesthe regular headlights andthe bright or high headlights.Hedisconnected theswitch and pulled out by accident some wires out of the connector. He claims to have put them back in the right place, but after the car started the problems began. The car idles just fine, but as soon as you put it in gear and you try to go, the car starts to choke andwants to die - sometimes dies too. When I say choke I mean choking like I have never seen before - shakes the entire car.The car was taken to the dealer and they looked at the switch in question and either verified it's connected right or changed it with a new one - not sure. Anyone had similar issue, or know what it could be? If the computer got messed up any idea how much a new one costs? Could it be some stupidvacuum hose that got knocked out or cracked? Please help me, I don't have the money to pay a dealer to fix the car!

Old 01-12-2008, 12:32 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: 1998 Audi A4 quattro severely choking

If you repost this over in the A4 forum, you'll probably get a lot better responses.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:41 AM
1st Gear

Your problem sounds un-related to the head light switch.

It really sounds like you car is lacking proper fuel pressure.

How old is the filter?
Try to listen to see if the pump is cutting out, or is really noisy.
The pump might be producing a low out put which would be fine for idiling, but under load, it will starve the engine.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:10 PM
1st Gear

I took the car to Auto Zone to see what the engine codes areunfortunately the scanner autozone has does not have the interpretation for Audi codes, but it has the ones for VW, so here they are

P1432 - Secondary Injection Valve Open
Explanation - Open or short circuit condition
Probable causes - Failed AIR Solenoid Valve

P1545 - Throttle Position Control Malfunction
- I am not going to describe this one because the Throttle body was replaced and the problem is still there

P0305 - The PCM has determined that a misfire has occured in cylinder #5
-this code is not specific to a brand it just says OBDII

P0112 - The PCM has determined that teh input from the intake air temperature sensor is lower than expected for the current engine operating conditions
- this code is also given not for a specific brand but again just says OBDII

Hope this helps
Thanks toall