Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

(*NEW*) Great White Hope!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Tech Guru

So! How 'bout them Pens? (Hockey that is)

Old 02-01-2010, 08:25 PM

It would be more informative for me if people could explain why this is racist but other examples presented are not. First, one should realize that racism is hardly the proper label. I think prejudice or intolerance is more appropriate. Moose wants to create a American white only basketball league. The worst part about it, in my view, is that it promotes the idea of discrimination. Having only white Americans play in a league would hardly have any other negative consequences. But discrimination is itself a poisonous idea.

The flip side is that non-whites can discriminate in favor of themselves and it is generally accepted in todays society. There may be excellent reasons to support this, like prior discrimination. But whites are judged much more harshly for doing essentially the same thing. Perhaps whites should be bound by the mistakes of their ancestors. It is very easy to argue that perspective. But atleast one should acknowledge that inequality exists on both sides. This is essentially what Moose's league reveals to me. Not that he hates non-white Americans. I personally do not know the guy and could not make such a judgement.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by AutoUnionFan
It would be more informative for me if people could explain why this is racist but other examples presented are not.
That's just it, my friend... The other examples are JUST as racist as this is!

The worst part about it, in my view, is that it promotes the idea of discrimination. Having only white Americans play in a league would hardly have any other negative consequences. But discrimination is itself a poisonous idea.
We've disagreed on a few things, but we generally agree on cars. Here is another area we are in total accord on.

The flip side is that non-whites can discriminate in favor of themselves and it is generally accepted in todays society.
Society once generally accepted Black slavery, and genocidal killing of the Red man, but that doesn't make it right, no matter WHO does it!

But whites are judged much more harshly for doing essentially the same thing.
Ever got caught doing something wrong, and suddenly, everything you do that even remotely comes close to the same thing, no mattter how innocent or pure your intentions. This is kinda like that, except with an entire class of people. Personally, I can't say that I agree with it; especially with ALL the wrong things I've done, and gotten away with, but, it is what it is.

This is essentially what Moose's league reveals to me. Not that he hates non-white Americans. I personally do not know the guy and could not make such a judgement.
As I have mentioned a few times, if Moose-nuts intentions were simply a more "pure," (other than his racially; hence the *racism* tag, pure league) he could avail himself of the WNBA. Or, barring that, a league whose rules prohibit flamboyant court actions (dunking, and such) and restrict off-court court appearances.

No. His proposed league ONLY allows ONE race to participate. How is that NOT racism? WTF else could it be? No matter HOW you slice it. The NAACP may be labeled discriminatory, and justifiably so; but, it isn't racist. It does permit MORE than one race to participate. And, multi-racial personages are welcome, I assume (I'm not a member, because I do not adhere to any philosophies that promote one race above any other).

Does that help clear up the distinction for you?

Old 02-01-2010, 10:26 PM

Perhaps whites should be bound by the mistakes of their ancestors.
We should ALL be bound by the mistakes of our predecessors. How else would we grow as sentient beings?

Old 02-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Senior Administrator

In honor of the mistakess of some of my ancestors, I vow to NEVER sell an island for a handful of pretty beads!

Old 02-02-2010, 05:32 PM
2nd Gear

LOL, NOW you're being funny. No condescending vibe?

"But, you are obviously too young to have experienced that sort of prejudiced practices. I understand. You lack the experience base to know where the notion came from, and, apparently, also lack the impetus to do a little research into the reason why."

I'm not even going to entertain the rest of it, just had to laugh. And no, I don't know you well enough to like or dislike you. I just think you're an a-hole. I'm glad you don't let that kind of thing bother you; life would pretty well suck otherwise.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Senior Administrator

Here's why I believe you have some sort of ax to grind against me, personally, for whatever reason... You jumped into a "conversation" that dint involve you, and came after me. Say wat yu like; and, yes, I AM an *******, always have been, always will be... Say what you like but, YOU took something that dint even involve you, personally. I generally gauge my efficacy by the quality of my enemies, but, you're too little. <splash!> I throw you back.
AutoUnion... Where are you when I NEED YOU?!?!?!?

Last edited by AWDaholic; 02-02-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:05 PM

I try to avoid making things personal.

I also do not agree with a white only league but I dont think that it is racist nor do I think that it is unusual except in the sense that it is white only and not some other race. If someone wanted to make a black only ice hockey league I wouldnt automatically assume that they are a racist. A black only league would promote ice hockey to the black community and would most likely have a different flavor than the NHL. This is what I believe motivates Moose, although my mind could be changed if I learned more about him and the league.

As for "growing as a sentient being"....I dont see how feeling guilty about what other people do that I cannot control or being held accountable for what some white racists did that has nothing to do with my feelings or values has to do with my growth. In a way, slaves were held accountable for the circumstances of their ancestors and it was neither productive nor fair for them.

My perspective is abviously skewed and not representative of the entire picture. But I feel that it is a valid and a significant perspective. I will leave it to others to fill in the remainder of the picture.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Senior Administrator

OK, well, we obviously disagree on the racist thing as I don't think anything anybody says would change my opinion. A one-race league is the epitome of racism, IMO. If he said ONLY midg... I mean, vertically challenged people under 6'-tall. I could buy into the "I want a purer B-Ball experience," but that's not what he is proposing, is it?

The availability of hundreds of multi-million dollar contracts would attract more blacks to the NHL.

Unfortunately, it is nigh unto impossible to get an inner-city youth to see that hard work and good grades are the surest way out of the hopeless future they see for themselves. If we could somehow get Wall-Street moguls and bankers to start rollin through the 'hood in a dub'd-out Supa-Sport... Flossin' and flashin'... Bragin' 'bout how how many hoes the pulled with dey "A" in Econ... Someday...

I think what Gordo was saying was that we need to be cognizant of the wrongs of those who have come before, so that we are sure not to repeat those failures. Just guessing, of course, but that's how *I* took it.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:41 PM
4th Gear

Thanks Gil Scott Herron.
one of his works:

Whitey on the Moon

A rat done bit my sister Nell.
(with Whitey on the moon)
Her face and arms began to swell.
(and Whitey's on the moon)
I can't pay no doctor bill.
(but Whitey's on the moon)
Ten years from now I'll be payin' still.
(while Whitey's on the moon)
The man jus' upped my rent las' night.
('cause Whitey's on the moon)
No hot water, no toilets, no lights.
I wonder why he's uppi' me?
('cause Whitey's on the moon?)
I wuz already payin' 'im fifty a week.
Taxes takin' my whole damn check,
Junkies makin' me a nervous wreck,
The price of food is goin' up,
An' as if all that **** wuzn't enough:
A rat done bit my sister Nell.
Her face an' arm began to swell.
Was all that money I made las' year
(for Whitey on the moon?)
How come there ain't no money here?
(Hmm! Whitey's on the moon)
Y'know I jus' 'bout had my fill
(of Whitey on the moon)
I think I'll sen' these doctor bills,
Airmail special
(to Whitey on the moon)

BTW, Obama just canceled the next moon mission.....HMMMMMMMM

Last edited by railrunner; 02-02-2010 at 11:45 PM.

Quick Reply: (*NEW*) Great White Hope!