Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: Obama or McCain?
Obama/Biden
56.86%
McCain/Palin
43.14%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

*------Election 2008------*

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 09:48 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ThePaintballGuy
OK thats fine if you believe that... I still think that things are going to go farther down hill from here.

And Sineo, why is that an absurd thing to say? Enlighten me. (BTW I don't care if it's not nice at all. What happens in this thread stays in this thread.)

Josh
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, because when I read your original statement, I was thinking exactly the same thing as Sineo. However, I'm Canadian, and not sure if you guys do things differently, but here goes...

If you go on strike, you don't get unemployment from the government. Strikes are a union thing, and any pay received is from your employer, as per arrangements made with the union previously. The government has nothing to do with it, and it does not cost taxpayers any money.

Now, for my own, unrelated bit.

Tax the top 5%, because I think it's better to keep somebody from buying another Rolls, if it means food on the table for a struggling family of four.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Tech Guru

^ May someone in the struggling family of four should learn a skilled trade and get a real job.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:34 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by airguard350
^ May someone in the struggling family of four should learn a skilled trade and get a real job.
Spoken like a true 18 year old, who's never dealt with a difficult time in his life.

What you forget, is that while there are bound to be some freeloaders, the majority of people whom are supported by the government truly NEED support. Are you alright with condemning all those people, just to avoid paying for a small minority of freeloaders?

It feels like there are a lot more people milking the system than there actually is. You see homeless people who appear fit to work, but you don't see the many people who require social assistance. Say the father of that family of four was stricken ill, and his job had no health benefits. They were just scraping by before, so coming up with the time/money to further their education would have been impossible. Kids need to be looked after, food needs to put on the table. Now dad's ill, and with even less money than before, the chances of mom learning a trade and providing for the family are slim to none. But, perhaps with more government intervention, her education might be paid for.

You see, the government helping people is okay. In the long run, it should make for a more productive country, as it encourages (and helps) EVERYBODY to become a functioning citizen. True, taxes go up... but seriously, life will go on. Your country is not going to hell in a hand basket, like you seem to think. Give it time. Obama isn't perfect, but give him a chance.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:07 PM
4th Gear

^who says an 18 year old has never gone through a difficult time?? im only 19, and have been left and adopted, grandmother died, my brother died, and my dad left... so whos to judge that an 18 year old has never gone through a hard time?

have you lost a brother? have you had THREE parents leave you? and the fourth be hostile and kick you out periodically because she still is pissed off at the world that her one TRUE son has died?

sorry if im coming off strong, and take no offense, but you shouldnt judge people based on their age...

sure, tax the top 5% who have a good annual income... but remember this, many of those have high student loans from paying to go to a damn good school, and get motivated enough to apply themselves in school to EARN!!!! that good job... i do think there is less incentive to try has hard now to land that job that pays a little bit more that will seemingly now JUST place you in that top 5% causing you to pay back more and put you behind someone just within that tax cut range...

whatever... maybe i didnt make a valid point with that, but you cant judge someone and what they have been through based on their age...

Old 11-05-2008, 12:25 PM
2nd Gear

i agree that airguard is only focusing on the freeloaders and not the people who actually need it. my mom is a very hard worker but her parents didnt have enough money to put her through college so she hasnt been able to get very good jobs. now shes working and putting herself through college (with alot of student loans) so that she can have a decent job. does she not deserve a little help so that she can have a good career and contribute to society?

i also have to agree with TTkid though you shouldnt judge someone just on how old they are. im only 19 too and ive been through alot

Old 11-05-2008, 12:28 PM
4th Gear

^just goes to prove that people who actually try deserve something... i just hate hoodlums who "get by" as freeloaders...

Old 11-05-2008, 12:33 PM
2nd Gear

^oh i agree. id be nice if obama could figure out a way to get rid of the hoodlums and still help the people who really are trying and need it haha

Old 11-05-2008, 12:41 PM
4th Gear

Hey TT, sounds like a serious chip on your shoulder, mate... I could add you mine as well, but here is not the place for that..

but I think here's the difference in point being made - at 18 most are still supported by their parents and have yet to experience the joys of living paycheck to paycheck or hand to mouth.

You're right - adversity comes at us many ways. But when it is on you - and you alone - can you speak like you know what's around the corner. Because most 18 yr olds can fall time and time again and mommie and daddy will pick them up. You're an exception to the rule, of course.

Others have to brush themselves off and move on smartly, as you might well know.

And at 18 a vast majority haven't a clue what that means yet...

Wisdom comes from time - that's why most that are wise are elderly - they've had time to reflect and better understand their world and situations. As my grandmother would say often to me, you might be book smart - but you're society stupid.

It takes awhile to learn the ways of the world. And still you never quite get it right... lol

Old 11-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Tech Guru

As a response to headshok:
A) Your from Canada, worry about Canada.
B) I don't know about Canada, but there are plenty of unions in America that would LOVE to get apprentices in their trades, and many of them are paid apprenticeships.
C) I do recognize the fact there are people that actually need help. I have friends that need the help. But there are also way too many folks that get welfare or social securty and don't try to get a good job. I had an ex who's parents were like that. Her dad wanted to get fired so he could collect unemployment. They had food stamps for the longest time, not because life necessarily dealt him a bad hand; but because he was lazy. BTW my friends only stayed on welfare as long as they needed to. I also figure one of them earned a little help, he was a 2 tour Vietnam vet.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:55 PM

why do Republicans socialize debt yet they won't socialize health care?

And the rich collect more from tax cuts than poor people do from welfare. think about it

Quick Reply: *------Election 2008------*