Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: Obama or McCain?
Obama/Biden
56.86%
McCain/Palin
43.14%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

*------Election 2008------*

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 08:24 PM
4th Gear

LOL... I might get that too!

How is it when gun ownership is brought up it gets extremist quick? First off, the right to own a gun is a constitutional right. And throughout this country's history NO constitutional right has been revoked - none.

Don't see this one going away either. Yeah, they may apply restrictions and in some cases for good causes. But like all things, all it takes is a few bad apples to spoil it for the rest. With all the recent shootings (including VTech, the DC shooter and Columbine) if the right to bear arms is still in the books just goes to show how powerful a Constitutional right is.

Even recently the "liberal" supreme court shoot down the DC gun laws.

And to your reference that Janie has a gun to shoot the guy who raped her... holy sheet! What a stretch! First off, 89% of the gun owners in America are men. And 95% when it comes to handguns.
http://timlambert.org/2004/03/womenandguns/
So Janie even owning a gun is a moot point - women simply don't own them.

What I always find funny is that right wing extremist don't want people telling them what they can and cannot do - yet when it comes to abortion they become crusaders in trying to enforce that belief on everyone.

Currently, on this planet we have extreme shortages in food. Starvation, hunger, the ranks of poor keep multiplying.

Yet Right To Life groups keep trying to force their agenda on people.
http://www.nrlc.org/ABORTION/facts/abortionstats.html

Let's say that 43 million abortions have occurred since 1973 (the year Roe v. Wade was mandated). That would be close to 200 million more mouths to feed - taking in consideration that those people would spawn more over the past 35 years exponentially. Most of those are from kids who didn;t want to have children. Guess what happens when they don't want them? Adoption? Only when it occurs directly at birth - rarely do people adopt a child after they are a couple of years old - check the foster care systems. As of sept 2006 there were half a million in the system.

These are children being taken care of by our tax dollars. Which is not a bad thing.

But imagine if abortion was outlawed? That number could easily skyrocket! Not only there but in the welfare ranks as well. Young mothers forced to bear a child with no skills or experience and the father bailed and their families abandon them?

That's a burden I'm certain most could do without.

Last edited by Palindari™; 10-05-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:50 PM
3rd Gear

A lot of adopted children in the US actually come from the Catholic mothers in South American countries like Columbia, etc where they still do not believe in abortion, but cannot afford to feed an extra child.
I get a kick out of how the left wingers are so concerned about saving trees and baby seals and dolphins, but when it comes to a live 8 month old human baby with a brain, heartbeat, and feelings (fetus) they are all about killing it if it's ok with mom.

Not to mention the number of "girls" on Maury that seriously don't even know who the daddy is. I am at a loss for words there...

Old 10-06-2008, 02:02 AM
4th Gear

Ok - where are 8 month olds being aborted?

That is killing, no doubt.

And as far as I know late-term abortions are still illegal. First trimester is the norm - second trimester is only if the child poses a threat to the mother (my 1st ex-wife had that happen to her and she's still screwed up in the head over it).

But as for 8 month olds being aborted - where is this happening?!!?

According to one source only 300 were performed in 2007. Due to severe complications in fetal development or health risks to the mother.

http://www.optionline.org/abortion.h...FQykagodiX_GEw

Abortion is not a real simple thing to do in the third trimester (24 months+). In what they call a "partial-birth" abortion - it takes time and is very damaging to the mother (mentally, physically and emotionally) - let alone to the unborn.

Again, show me where these are performed regularly. If only 300 are done a year - for justified reasons - 42 million regular abortions were performed in 2003 worldwide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion

Worldwide! So worldwide in one year aborted almost as much as we have as a nation since 1973!

But lets gain perspective a bit. According to Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late-term_abortion

only 1.4% of the abortions in the US are late term and and you can read further that since 1998 and upheld in 07 that late term is unconstitutional.

So out of all this your argument is based solely on the 1.4% margin?

Personally I dislike abortions - never was cause to be involved with one. But I can't force my opinion on others, so pro-choice I'll be until humanity proves - like this bail-out - that they need government protection from themselves.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:24 AM
5th Gear

Obama FTW!

McCain is going to die, and we dont need some governor from Alaska running the country

Old 10-07-2008, 08:24 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Bogie
Wouldn't it be better after Obama takes away gun ownership rights that when Daddy tries to rape Janie, Janie doesn't have a gun to protect herself?
This made me laugh out loud. Ridiculous.

You can argue about constitutional rights and whatnot... but this is the single most ridiculous statement on this board.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:13 PM
1st Gear

Obama! hey we're already f***d we might as well not choose the same type of candidate again let alone party. Plus tina fey is trippin! haha.
Obama 08!

Old 10-07-2008, 10:22 PM
6th Gear

well who ever you vote for I have an idea. lets all make nov. 4th a holiday and get shmammered

Old 10-07-2008, 10:30 PM
1st Gear

sounds like a plan either way its not like we control this supposed "democracy"

Old 10-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Site Moderator

Did you guys watch the debate? Thought it was alright. At this point I just want to hear specifics and none of the going back and fourth about records and who said what, etc. I want these ******* to say "I am going to do this, and you can quote me on that and hang me if I don't follow through" Records don't mean a whole lot right now. I think Obama came out modestly on top. McCain sure is trying hard though, I just don't think it's gunna be enough.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

Amen Brother

Quick Reply: *------Election 2008------*