Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

An "unOFFICIAL" AF contest!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 01:43 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: An "unOFFICIAL" AF contest!!!

So.. what's the official ruling on the essays?

Old 03-06-2007, 02:05 AM
4th Gear

You are the champion, my friend! Congrats

Old 03-06-2007, 02:09 AM
Site Moderator

Where's my Rocky soundtrack at?

Old 03-06-2007, 02:22 AM
4th Gear

Oh, my fault! forgot!

Old 03-06-2007, 02:33 AM
Senior Administrator

BTW, 2K, I think you set a standard, for JUDGING, that will be HARD to meet, if not IMPSSIBLE to exceed, for a very long time! Again, THANK YOU!!! When I go for my Doctorate (hey! it cud happen!), I'm gonna pay YOU mucho-$$$ to proofread it for me, and hit me wit da COLD, HARD truth... Whateva yu do, for a day job, I bet they love/hate when you show up, each morning!

Old 03-06-2007, 04:31 AM
3rd Gear

I ment original to the contest, i could have said the same things as everyone else but i chose not to. and 150 words is tight when there are so many problems. and there was a solution and the solution was generally analytic, speculative, and orinterpretative.
ORIGINAL: 2k S4

ORIGINAL: JohnnyBravoA4

fluff press release, what do you want its only 150 words.. I should get an A for originality and the fact that its a documented problem.. read through the WSJ..
You say it's a documented problem, then say you are original? Your ONLY point was that Audi needs to separate it self from VW. You never said what you would do, you just talked about the problem, there was no solution. So you missed the basic idea of the essay.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:51 AM
1st Gear

Okay, I'm actually pretty scared to do this, because
a) this thread seems to be pretty hot under the collar. and
b) I have no room to talk on cars, but this is just my opinion, and I have some experience in short nonfiction, and since johnny bravo brought his essay back up.

okay, so

If I were in charge at Audi, *I* would try to diffuse how many people (non Enthusiasts) perceive Audi to be anonymous in the U.S. One of the biggest challenges Audi faces is how it does not get the notice it deserved. Now that VW is merging into the luxury sector, offering more options and higher priced vehicles it has left Audi with an identity crisis. Piech had said VW would be luxury, while Audi would offer sport. To really achieve such a standard it would change the character of the Audi brand that we have all grown to love. Also, with the growing trend of AWD in the industry Audi need to look towards new innovations to set it-self apart like it has in the past. Audi has been the perfect balance between luxury and performance. With that being said its time to reintroduce this reality to the public.
watch the build up and let down...
"I would try" - good, you're building to a point
"one of the ... challenges" - good, outlining problem.
"identity crisis" - other side of the challenge, good good.
Piech quote - good, outlining the setup for a resolution.
"achieve such a standard" - still sort of building, outlining what will predicate action to ... achieve etc ...
"audi will need to " - this sounds like a conclusion precursor... outlining more problems without a solution in the middle?
"it's time to introduce this standard" there really was no antecedent for this, and it doesn't refer to anywhere I can find...
then you end, without setting up any specific solutions, just what the solutions should/can do...

again, I'm really not trying to be a d!ck, you just seemed to be asking for someone to detail it, and I happen to agree with 2k s4...

Old 03-06-2007, 07:00 AM
Senior Administrator

^^^
1. I think that may be the FIRST time anyone has spelled "predicate" properly, on this forum...
2. I do not think ANYone has EVER used "antecedent" in a sentence, on here... EVER!!!

Old 03-06-2007, 07:04 AM
1st Gear

lol, thanks. I may not know audi's, but I'm a linguistics major, so I half too no awl of this stough!

Old 03-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Senior Administrator

Linguists, huh? A hobby of mine, more or less. I am a "Cunning-Linguist" on another forum (nope, not gonna say where...), and not only do I write poetry (there's a thread for it, around here, somewhere), but speak (with varying degrees of proficiency) 3 languages, beyond my native tongue (American). My goal is to ultimately be conversant in 5-7 languages, before I kick... And to publish three books: A book of my collected poetic writings, a "Barracks" Cook Book, on how to thrive with just a Microwave, a Hotplate, and access to the Shopette, and something Biographical (once I accomplish a few more things no one EVER expected me to).

Simple things, for a simple city-boy from Detroit!

Quick Reply: An "unOFFICIAL" AF contest!!!