Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Water/Methanol injection or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 06:59 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Water/Methanol injection or not?

Im still debating whether i want an air cooled fmic or water cooled. I had an idea of using a washer reservoir filled with alcohol or antifreeze piped to the fmic with a small water pump running it. The space where the smic seemed like a good place for the reservoir so why not use it.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:02 PM
1st Gear

yea i was thinkin about the same spot.. easy to work with the bumper off.. I guess what i'm looking for is if anyone has done this.. I've been googleing it and such and i'm seeing an ave of 30hp gain.. some saying 40+ not bad at all for $300 and a few hours of my time to install. So has anyone done this and what have u seen?

Old 02-17-2007, 02:33 AM
Zombie Defense Force

im gettin my alky injection in a few days
http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=8

Old 02-17-2007, 04:56 AM
4th Gear

I have had alchol injection over the last few nights. (me not the car) unfortunatly, the car is going to have to wait!
I like the mist, it looks pretty cool to me, since its only 3-400.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:37 PM
1st Gear

awesome.. yea i was lookin at all the other ones aquamist and snowperformance but i like devil's own.. they have a warrenty, its the same thing, plus a forum on the main page not to mention $100 cheaper.. aka $100 toward a diy fmic. LET ME KNOW WHAT PERFORMANCE DIF. YOU FEEL!!! I'm really excited to put it in my car

Old 02-17-2007, 06:45 PM
1st Gear

Do some research online... Water injection (or a methanol mix is preferred) is a really good idea for any car. It keeps deposits from forming, cleans any previous deposits (from the valves, pistons, etc) and allows your engine to run more efficiently.

The water and methanol is sprayed in a fine mist which not only cools the air but provides for cleaner burns. The benefits are many so I really advise research into the topic. For those who say things like "your engine isnt built enough for it" do not know what they are talking about. If they do, I would like them to provide reason as to why not. If the air coming out of the intercooler is not as cool as the air outside (or cooler) then water injection will definitely help. Even if the air coming out is cooler then the air outside water/methanol injection will still help.

Water injection not only helps lower the intake temps, but it will allow you to push more boost safely (helps prevent detonation). It will even allow you to push more boost without retarding the ignition timing.

As always, RESEARCH! No just for a day, read as much as you can for weeks or longer.

SMo'

Old 02-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Zombie Defense Force

when i said its not needed i meant that there are other things that will get more power before you need alky or meth. it will help but a ko4 would do a greater good.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:20 PM
1st Gear

Yea i've been doing alot of research and love what I see so far.. Not only does it up performance a great deal horsepower to cost, it is also good for the engine. I'm def going a fmic first then a pc-16 and injectors.. but next after that is WI no doubt in my mind.. I can't wait for the gains, should be really awesome considering it shouldn't cost me more then $800 for all of them.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:06 PM
2nd Gear

What good does the meth kit do without tuning for it? Cooler intake temps are great but gain will be minimal to none without increased boost and timing. If your chipped and add meth you still won't gain much or anything other than reduced heat soak. I know guys running timing advanced 28 degrees in mustang cobra with it instead of 17-18 degrees which is normally considered aggressive. (You gain approximately 10hp per degree of timing advance) To get real gains with a water/meth system you will need a custom tune or standalone but it is probably the best bang for your buck for power adders.

What you have for mods is unimportant unless you don't have the supporting mods to run what you have(like if you have a stock intercooler running a gtrs) because the real gains from running water/meth systems are in the timing increases. Anyone who says you don't need it yet doesn't have a clue how a meth injection system produces huge power gains. Keep in mind my buddies $300 snow performance meth kit in his cobra nets 100hp from the increased timing alone and also has lower intake temps, more dense incoming air, and increased boost which was not possible without a different heat exchanger untill the meth kit (that's a better power output thana nitrous kit for halfthe money).

Old 02-18-2007, 12:26 AM
4th Gear

it also lowers intake temps and makes them more dense to help safegaurd against pre detonation.. if you are running higher boost or race fuel that your ecu map isnt set up for

Quick Reply: Water/Methanol injection or not?