New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WRX vs STI vs A3

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 11:02 AM
1st Gear
Default WRX vs STI vs A3

Hey guys I am currently in the market to shop for a car with a max at about $35k (not including tax). I was pretty set on the WRX back when I was giving myself a max of $30k but shopping around for comparable performance (i realize the A3 can't beat the wrx but, the luxury I feel is pretty worth the loss). But then the A3 that I would be looking at puts my price at $35k and then it makes me think if I should get the STI. Of course I could still go with the WRX and save the money, but that does not have to be the case.

Getting the STI I would be happy with stock but with the WRX I would want to go get the Premium with the short shifter/bushing/exhaust/front lip which puts the price around $30k I guess.

I love the performance of the WRX/STI and do believe I would love the power. So am I kind of answering my question myself that the STI would be able to go. Would I be able to get a new STI for $35k or am I hoping for too much?

Would really love some advice and thoughts on this as I'm having a really hard time deciding myself. The models I would be getting is 2012 across the board meaning I probably would have to order it online (at dealership) for any of the vehicles I want here.

Thanks

Old 08-28-2011, 06:32 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Wilkommen to the forums

Dude,

that made my head hurt.

if you really want our advice, look at the name of the forums you posted in.....

Old 08-28-2011, 10:09 PM
1st Gear

I gave up my subaru for my A3. I would never go back. The stock A3, plus a chip, intake and exhaust makes for a much better car that's worth the money. It can't go off road as well, but why would you want to? My only issue is Audi doesn't have a credit card like subaru. I was getting 3% of ALL my expenses to pay for repairs and parts, and now I have to pay for all of it out of pocket.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:22 AM
1st Gear

I guess you need to ask yourself if you would like to be running around in a 21 year olds dream car or would you like to be driving a piece of engineering? While the STI or the WRX would destroy the A3 in a 1/4 mile race.......what are you using the car for? Are you going to work or delivering pizzas?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:08 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by etzbseder
I gave up my subaru for my A3. I would never go back. The stock A3, plus a chip, intake and exhaust makes for a much better car that's worth the money. It can't go off road as well, but why would you want to? My only issue is Audi doesn't have a credit card like subaru. I was getting 3% of ALL my expenses to pay for repairs and parts, and now I have to pay for all of it out of pocket.

Are you driving manual or automatic?

Old 08-29-2011, 11:11 AM
1st Gear

My impreza outback sport was a manual and my A3 is an automatic with the 6 speed DSG and paddle shifters. I LOVE it. When I wan to shift a lot and drive like I own the road I can, and when I just want to cruise along and save gas, I can do that too.

I did have an old subaru SVX that was chipped and tastefully modded, and that car was the most fun to drive, but at the same time I was VERY lucky I didn't get a ticket and have the car taken away for driving too fast all the time. It would go 150 in a 45 and was real fun, but that was at night on county roads and the A3 would probably do so much more safely.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:00 PM
1st Gear

You can get a stock 2011 STI for 33-34,000 depending on dealer but I don't think Subaru is getting 2012 STI's until November (earthquake delay)

I think it will come down to what you want luxury vs performance. Also keep in mind it's much cheaper to maintain Subaru over Audi. I would test drive them both and just go with whatever feels right for you, Imo these are the 2 best awd systems in market today so either way its win win.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

Dude if anything u should get and audi S4 not an A3 they're much sexier
preferably 2000 or 2001.5 for a Nogaro blue ( BTW nogaro blue super sexy it will practically make u jizz yur pants!! lol). if yur wanting to spend 30k u can most likely get a good healthy s4 for no more then 13k stock or tuned (preferably stock) then yull have about 20k to buy parts witch u will most likely only be spending 10k of. STI's are fast but audi has better 4WD and making an S4 Stage three has the capacity to rape a gallardo.

Last edited by AudiSicknessS4; 08-31-2011 at 03:58 PM.