New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recently bought an old Audi thought I would stop by

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Default Recently bought an old Audi thought I would stop by

A few weeks ago I bought a 1996 A4, 2.8 FWD car. I wanted a 4 door car and looked high and low for everything from early 90's BMW 3 series' and 80's to early 2000's s4's. In my hunt I stumbled upon this recently traded in A4. Convinced the wife it was worth buying (she was pushing me to spend more and possibly even go as far a leaseing a brand new A4). Due to my desire to not have a car payment again I decided to go look at this car and give it a test drive. Everything seemed great so payed the dealership and took her home. I don't know if $2,500 is a good deal with this car but is is very solid and the maintenance records are great. So far I am very happy with it even though I really did watn quattro and will likely sell this one in a year or so and buy a slightly newer A4 to replace it.

A little about myself: I live in Michigan, am an engineer and love my cars. In addition to the A4 I have a 1999 Mercury Cougar (bought it in 2001 and have modded it fairly heavily since), 2004 Ford Explorer and a 1969 Triumph Spitfire.

A little more info on the Audi: Overall she is good so far but I do have a small list of problems I am working to figure out.
Drivers windw regulator broke the cable 2 days after I got the car. I already ordered the replacement regulator and motor.
Sometimes when driving at lower RPM's and only partial throttle The engine seems to choke very badly. This doesn't happy if I push the car a little harder so it tends to only happen when other people are in the car. This is something I want to figure out soon.
The Dash is peeling up in a few spots but I will likely just try to fix this in the spring when it is warmer and I can manipulate the dash easier.
There is a loud thud noise that sounds like a slamming glovebox or similiar item every so often. It is very strange and happens competely randomly. I don't even know where to start to solve this one.
The HVAC control panel needs to be fixed so that the temp is always visible. Sounds like a common problem on these A4's so I will probably just try to fix it in the spring when it is warmer and I don't mind taking the dash apart as much.
Wow that is a longer list than I thought but overall it is still a good car.