New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 04:11 AM
1st Gear
Default Power steering pump

I'm having some trouble sleeping. I recently got my power steering pump changed. Just as I had read in other threads, my 98 a6 quattro also had a whining problem when it was cold outside, especially once I started the car up for the first time in the day. Now it took probably about 15 minutes to have the car warm up then I would turn the car off and let it sit for another 15 minutes and the whining would go away. I literally just recently got the power steering pump replaced and leaving the lot at audi it still felt like it drives the same. The steering was still free and loose. I was hoping with a new power steering pump would make it so the steering would be a little more tighter when going into turns, but it feels the same when I pulled into audi to drop the car off to get fixed. Was wondering and hoping if anyone had any feed back to give. I don't want to feel like I got shafted, but then again I wouldn't be posting this at 4 am. Anyways I'm also new to the forum and from everything I was reading before I signed up this really feels like a great place to come to get answers or just talk audi. Thanks again...

Old 02-26-2011, 10:25 AM
2nd Gear

The replacement should have made a difference in the feel. Not a lot but some kind of difference. It takes a little bit of time for the whining to stop usually a lot of turning to burp the whole system. I would check the fluid for a few days and see if its dropping fast.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:27 PM
1st Gear

Yea I definitely don't feel any kind of difference from the moment I dropped the car off and then picked it up. I don't think there is really any problem with the fluids, I'm usually good about checking on the fluids. Hopefully I will notice some difference within the next couple of days. Just because the power steering pump was change doesn't mean I'm going to see drastic change on my steering correct? tighter? Anyways appreciate Bri.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:27 PM
4th Gear

You should see an immediate difference. It will gradually get worse over time.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:32 PM
1st Gear

The power steering pump in only one of several components to the suspension and steering of your audi. Depending on what you mean by loose in your original post the problem might be somewhere else. You should have felt a difference in the way you were able to handle the car, steering right or left freely and effortless, you should have heard no whinning on the pump. Do you hear any whinning when you turn your steering wheel right or left? You should not hear anything on a brand new pump.